ESPNCRICINFO reports that Gary Ballance has retired from all cricket - does anybody know details, what happened ?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: ESPNCRICINFO reports that Gary Ballance has retired from all cricket - does anybody know details, what happened ?

Post by secretzimbo »

jontym87 wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 8:15 pm
Have you seen crowds at cricket games recently compared to football?
That does not mean cricket is more popular than soccer.

Come on.

zimbos_05

Re: ESPNCRICINFO reports that Gary Ballance has retired from all cricket - does anybody know details, what happened ?

Post by zimbos_05 »

jonty wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 3:19 pm
What Zim cricket did with him borders on ‘criminality’ at best and ‘terrorism’ at worst. He should have proved his worth in domestic cricket first.
You seriously need to get over it. He came in and proved his worth even without domestic cricket. You just need to accept it and get over it.

As for the cricket is more popular than football. Football might be a more popular sport in terms of participation and supporters of teams be it domestic or international leagues, however, cricket currently has the advantage of being the only sport that can offer locals an international scene. ZIFA have been banned for some time and have shown no inkling to fix that so the longer ZIFA is out of action, cricket is the only solution.
Last edited by zimbos_05 on Sat May 13, 2023 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Ya obviously the national soccer team is fucked.

It doesn't equate to cricket being 'more popular' though as jonty suggests. It's not even close. The fact remains that 99% of schools in the country don't play cricket and 90% of people in the country have no interest in cricket. It has a good following particularly in some parts of Harare and amongst a certain class in the other bigger cities, and also amongst the diaspora. But in most other towns or villages amongst the average people you'll struggle to find people on the street who can name any Zim cricketers or even know the basic rules of cricket.

Googly

Post by Googly »

It's truly bizarre how the soccer mess has not been resolved.
If anyone ever needed proof that people would rather lord it over a dung heap than allow proper accountable professional administration then look no further.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 10:04 pm
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
What Zim cricket did with him borders on ‘criminality’ at best and ‘terrorism’ at worst. He should have proved his worth in domestic cricket first.
You seriously need to get over it. He came in and proved his worth even without domestic cricket. You just need to accept it and get over it.

As for the cricket is more popular than football. Football might be a more popular sport in terms of participation and supporters of teams be it domestic or international leagues, however, cricket currently has the advantage of being the only sport that can offer locals an international scene. ZIFA have been banned for some time and have shown no inkling to fix that so the longer ZIFA is out of action, cricket is the only solution.
Why did you put my name in there to Jonty's quote?
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

jontym87
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by jontym87 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
jontym87 wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 1:00 pm
Who needs Garry Ballance when we have Dion Myers. Like I said before Ballance isn’t and wasn’t a ‘messiah’ there was nothing special about him. What Zim cricket did with him borders on ‘criminality’ at best and ‘terrorism’ at worst. He should have proved his worth in domestic cricket first.
Terrorism hey :lol:
Hahahaha thats harsh.... just ruffle a few feathers nothing personal and when I'm wrong or make people feel uncomfortable i stop and apologise.
Professional troll feeder since 2011 :P

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 6:29 am

Why did you put my name in there to Jonty's quote?
Sorry, my bad. I must have edited incorrectly and didn't realise.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

I think every player in the diaspora who is open to a return under the right circumstances should be focused on.
Make it the right circumstances.
Ignore any players who actively detest Zimbabwe the nation. But target the ones who only left for opportunity.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*