Zimbabwe A vs Pakistan A

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Kriterion_BD

Re: Zimbabwe A vs Pakistan A

Post by Kriterion_BD »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 4:44 pm
^ I agree with the eleven. But from your 4 reserves you’ve got 3 bowlers and 1 batter, which might not be enough knowing how often guys like Ervine and Williams get injured.

Hard to pick anyone else though. Our batting depth remains very weak. Marumani and Shumba have blown it and Myers will have no match practice thanks to his injury.

Wes doesn’t deserve to be picked either but I mean we have no one else
I have to conflicting thoughts. One the one hand, Madhevere/Marumani and others haven't done anything tangible to warrant selection. On the other a guy like Madhevere clearly has talent (how much is debatable, but he's got some). Given the paucity of players/talent overall and elsewhere, Madhevere should walk into the 15 and probably even the XI. Shumba definitely doesn't merit a spot, and Marumani doesn't either, unless there is some specific role for him.

Myers in my opinion HAS to be in the squad, and in the first XI as well. He's too good, and the best of his generation IMO.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 5:03 pm
secretzimbo wrote:
^ I agree with the eleven. But from your 4 reserves you’ve got 3 bowlers and 1 batter, which might not be enough knowing how often guys like Ervine and Williams get injured.

Hard to pick anyone else though. Our batting depth remains very weak. Marumani and Shumba have blown it and Myers will have no match practice thanks to his injury.

I have to conflicting thoughts. One the one hand, Madhevere/Marumani and others haven't done anything tangible to warrant selection. On the other a guy like Madhevere clearly has talent (how much is debatable, but he's got some). Given the paucity of players/talent overall and elsewhere, Madhevere should walk into the 15 and probably even the XI. Shumba definitely doesn't merit a spot, and Marumani doesn't either, unless there is some specific role for him.

Myers in my opinion HAS to be in the squad, and in the first XI as well. He's too good, and the best of his generation IMO.
All of the youngsters you have mentioned here have talent, and quite a lot of it. Including Shumba and Marumani.

Doesn't mean they are in the right form or the right frame of mind or are 'ready' yet. They will obviously pick Wes though still.

mnelson68

Post by mnelson68 »

secretzimbo wrote:

Agree , Wes is the only choice but seriously if Campbell isn't in the best 20 players in the country then he should look elsewhere for opportunities. Ridiculous that he didn't get an opportunity in this series. 25 years old and ready to go imo. What a waste and he must feel pretty flat I'd imagine.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

There’s probably a reason you’re basically the only person on here or in the country as a whole calling for him to play in the national side tbh.

He isn’t all that

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Not doing him down. He’s decent for sure and may improve further. But I don’t think either his batting or bowling is better than, say, Ryan Burl currently.

Needs a century or two in domestic for a start.

CalZim
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by CalZim »

Yeah Campbell is only average, a way off the top 20 players I think.

If he focused on his batting he can try and push for a middle order bat place in the future (not likely though).

In regards to him looking elsewhere he wouldn't even get in the team for most of the African associates so it would be pointless.

Like SZ it sounds like I'm really against him when I'm not, I wish him to do well and think he will do an alright job In the logan cup over the years, I just don't see him as a national player.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

The good news for guys like Campbell is that there are 2-3 vacancies in the middle order coming extremely soon. I’m sure he will get a chance at some point after those retirements.

At the moment our middle order is very settled with Ervine - Williams - Raza - Burl - Madande but there will be opportunities soon.

mnelson68

Post by mnelson68 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 8:10 pm
There’s probably a reason you’re basically the only person on here or in the country as a whole calling for him to play in the national side tbh.

He isn’t all that
Not playing in the select team is my beef , I'm prepared to back him in if he gets an opportunity.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 5:26 pm
All of the youngsters you have mentioned here have talent, and quite a lot of it. Including Shumba and Marumani.

Doesn't mean they are in the right form or the right frame of mind or are 'ready' yet. They will obviously pick Wes though still.
Do you mean they are talented relative to the alternatives (eg Timycen Maruma or Chibabha) or on an absolute level, as in you expect them to eventually perform against top teams like India/Australia/England?

If its the former, then I can definitely agree with all of them being talented. Remains to be seen about the latter part obviously.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 2:33 am
secretzimbo wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 5:26 pm

Do you mean they are talented relative to the alternatives (eg Timycen Maruma or Chibabha) or on an absolute level, as in you expect them to eventually perform against top teams like India/Australia/England?

If its the former, then I can definitely agree with all of them being talented. Remains to be seen about the latter part obviously.
Probably the former tbh.
Also they’ll probably only ever play one or two games against those three teams in their entire career anyway sadly.