Diaspora recruitment or indigenisation?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Diaspora recruitment or indigenisation?

Post by Googly »

That's an outstanding rant SZ. It's both sad and infuriating that this is where we are at. It will never change, these guys are cemented into unassailable positions and most are sadly content with the status quo.I wish Al jazeera were as interested in our cricket. We could have been so much more.

Whilst noone in the diaspora is currently as good as Ballance and Taylor are/were, you've got Byrom, Welch, Muyeye who could easily become something. They're a big level above Ben Curran. He's a decent player, but the other three are better. They just need exposure and opportunity.
If ZC don't want to return to 2004 they need these 3 when the retirements hit us. Dane Schardendorf could become another. Welch Jr, Bennet and Myers as well. Possibly Madande, but personally i doubt that.
That's a list of batters that will be able to compete occasionally at international level, certainly enough to give us brief moments of enjoyment.

We're going to be stuck with Tanunurwa Makoni for the foreseeable future, until he gets a top admin job, so let's hope he keeps improving.
That Zim A side I think is going to come up woefully short, haven't seen the Pakistani side, but I'm sure there are going to be very good.

Eeish Ballance has been a bitter disappointment. Wonder if he buried his head in a pile of coke without having to look over his shoulder after he hung up his boots? How many lifelines do you need?

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

I've always said, the problem is not producing talent. We always produce raw natural talent. The problem is nurturing that talent and taking these kids to the next level. Creating actual world class crickers.

ZC thinks that having one win every now and again fixes everything and that they don't have to care abotu development.

Hammys sole role was to develop cricket in the country and I've yet to see anything from his work. Eltong and Kyle were supposed to be part of some scouting network yet have heard nothing from them.

Prosper hasn't really produced any great talents in his U19s that have kicked on.

Googly

Post by Googly »

There's no-one to scout. :lol:
Everyone knows everyone and who the good players are. There's about 10k a month wasted right here looking after 2 guys that don't do anything. The money supposedly going to "renovations" for the qualifiers would take care of several players for years :lol:

Bulawayo Boy
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Bulawayo Boy »

Resources will always be limited or stolen in Zim. Perhaps the lion's share of the wealth should be going to government JUNIOR school cricket and only in the cities, for the next few years?

Make sure all junior schools have at least:
  • Access to a junior coach (be it in house teacher trained up, or a visiting coach)
    Enough equipment for at least 1 colts and 2 senior team (u13)
    Access to a cricket pitch
Centrally control fixtures to ensure lots of training and inter school fixtures. Increase exposure! Create a future fan base. Have thousands of juniors all competing. That can feed into the high schools.

The private schools will be fine. They already have good systems in place.

Bulawayo Boy

Post by Bulawayo Boy »

pillowprocter wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 6:54 pm
What does indigenisation even mean?
In the context of this question I mean a similar situation as existed in New Zealand rugby. Development must be local and players must play locally. If you leave - you're gone for good.

I'd also think a financial safety net needs to exist. If ZC spends $200k developing you from 5 years old, and after playing for Zim you then decide to be an IPL mercenary, or ho to play County, etc. you have to repay ZC with interest. A tethering agreement. That way we aren't out of pocket.

Retention of resources or make a profit.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Bulawayo Boy wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 12:30 pm
Resources will always be limited or stolen in Zim. Perhaps the lion's share of the wealth should be going to government JUNIOR school cricket and only in the cities, for the next few years?

• Access to a junior coach (be it in house teacher trained up, or a visiting coach)
Centrally control fixtures to ensure lots of training and inter school fixtures. Increase exposure! Create a future fan base. Have thousands of juniors all competing. That can feed into the high schools.

And what sport do they then play in the High Schools? :lol:
Forget about 99% of government schools, that bird has flown.

The best government high school is PE. Their headmaster was recently caught red handed stealing all the school money. He was a relatively new appointment from Churchill High School where he'd also been caught taking all their money as well. No jail time, no protection, fuck all, merely a promotion.

Bulawayo Boy

Post by Bulawayo Boy »

Googly wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 1:25 pm
Bulawayo Boy wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 12:30 pm

And what sport do they then play in the High Schools? :lol:
Forget about 99% of government schools, that bird has flown.

The best government high school is PE. Their headmaster was recently caught red handed stealing all the school money. He was a relatively new appointment from Churchill High School where he'd also been caught taking all their money as well. No jail time, no protection, fuck all, merely a promotion.
The funds would then need to be diverted, and generated, to meet high school needs, but a broad base and strong foundation must be established first at national level. To train a Doctor he must have good primary school, right? I draw my theory from that of the late Col. Reid Daly. See "Pamwe Chete" for more information on the formation of an 'elite.'

Sure Googly, frustrating business that. I'd say the best Bulawayo government school is Milton and there was a theft scandal there too a while back. Same thing basically. However, that doesn't mean to say ALL funds will be stolen from ALL schools. There are still good people in Zimbabwe, and those who are knowledgeable about cricket.......like you.

We shouldn't condemn all young Zimbabweans simply because their leaders are arseholes. One might say the PE case is a microcosm of Zimbabwe.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

For me the solution is to build an academy in South Africa which joins the regional 3 days competitions or the uni competitions and gives you a scholarship to a South African University.

This won't cost too much to set up and I'm sure CSA will be happy to assist. Why I think this is important is because our biggest problem is talent retention. This is caused by a failing economy where parents see the risk of playing sport in a collapsing economy as not worth it. We usually lose the better talents this way. If a scholarship is part of the equation then it becomes a worthwhile operation for many parents.

Any kid and their parents should be able to clearly see the pathway from u19s to the national team. If they don't make it they must have benefited something from it. Right now the risk of skipping uni for $600/month is not seen as a viable option by most people.

This system will also create a sense of loyalty to ZC. That goes a long way. You must go from the u19s to the academy to the A team and then the national team

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

TapsC2 wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 4:04 am
I'm sure CSA will be happy to assist.
Why would they?!

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 6:13 am
TapsC2 wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 4:04 am
I'm sure CSA will be happy to assist.
Why would they?!
The one thing TM has done well is build solid relationships with other boards. They are on good terms as things stand.