ICC funding

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: ICC funding

Post by Googly »

I did hear Rangers (Old Georgians) have been promoted next season to the First League. That's going to be an interesting development because I think that means Old Georgians becomes available as a ground, which is great. They've also got grass nets which is unheard of. I would doubt the actual team that got promoted would cope in first league, meaning the team would be relegated after one season so they're going to have to find some players if they want to be competitive.
I would guess its going to be run efficiently as well, it's likely to become a half white club and I'm wondering how well that will be received. Hopefully it will be a non event, but you never know. Currently there aren't enough white first League club cricketers to even make up half a team.
The only ones that currently play regularly are the Campbell Bros (Matt Campbell is a nice looking leftie), Jayden Schardendorf, Matt Welch and..... I just cant think of anyone else. That's 4 players in the whole of Harare!! That is just such a sad state of affairs all by itself. Seen as a victory by some! Will it encourage others to shake out their old kit, will school leavers or actual schoolboys be tempted to try out? Will it encourage national guys like Evans, Ervine and Burl to ocasionally turn out? Which black guys will jump ship from their existing teams? There will definitely be a few. The lure of a nice ground, nice nets, a nice club house and change rooms, and the adjacent indoor will be strong.
As I said, it's going to be interesting. Takashinga will be packing their main side with national players for that encounter!

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Rangers finished 2nd in the 2nd League - so are they promoting two teams this year? They’ve been using OG in the second league for Rangers matches and a few other neutral matches too

Alex and HSC have been fielding nearly entirely Asian sides this season and OH often only have about 2 black guys in their side. So can’t see Rangers being an issue if they field a majority white side. I think we’ve moved past that, hopefully anyway.

I see there are some ‘playoffs’ currently happening to determine which teams qualify for the next NPL. Not sure how the teams have been decided especially as a couple of the teams appear to be new teams.

There’s definitely a lot more teams and players playing club cricket now than there has been for quite a few years. There are leagues happening in every province, albeit the standard is very very low in some cases

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ya I'm not sure about that. I think they won it the year before and were supposed to have been promoted this season? I think they were refused but now have been cleared? Something odd happened.

There is certainly a bit of a revival in the Asian community, I think most are of Pakistani background as opposed to Indian background. I'm surprised they haven't revived Universals and Sunrise, that might be a good thing. They've got money, they'd recruit some players. That always adds a bit of spice. They used to make fantastic food, I miss those days. An Indian/Pakistani on the ZC board would be an interesting development.

There are some shenanigans going on with NPL, I'm not sure what, but there are some hustles there. Someone's not happy and the goal posts are moving.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

The ground at Sunrise is actually in a really decent condition. I think our women's team are based there now? Would be good to see a Sunrise team revived.

More clubs/teams with their own grounds please.