ICC funding

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

ICC funding

Post by Googly »

I agree, the proposed new funding needs it's own thread.
Whilst we are still at the bottom of the member's pile, alongside Afghanistan, ZC will now have a huge amount of money at their disposal.

If our esteemed sports writers were doing their jobs this would have been worthy of mention. Perhaps they're hoping for an upgrade from coke and buns?

Dare the franchise players hope for a better deal?

Any predictions on how the money will be spent?

Googly

Re: ICC funding

Post by Googly »

Donald

Post by Donald »

You could certainly entice players like Byrom, Welch schadendorff with this kind of money.
Offer good contracts to get them.
Offer rookie contracts to really talented youngsters like Ronak Patel and mcmillan after the under 19 world cup so there isnt a talent drain.
Rebuild the training centre that vermuelen torched.
Lots of things.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

This is bad news, not good news.

Donald

Post by Donald »

secretzimbo wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 6:41 am
This is bad news, not good news.
How so?

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

A smaller chunk of the pie before. Even less so compared to our main competitors around us in the rankings. Overtaken by Ireland. Afghanistan closing the percentage gap.

And the general bad news for the wider game, the domination of India and the obliteration of the associates.

We should be mourning not celebrating an extra few million per year.

Googly

Post by Googly »

It's the age old thing of no accountability. They're accountable to the Board and they are the Board.
My wish list is, and I'm sure I'll add to it-
Pay the franchise guys a living wage 12 months of the year.
Get a well staffed central academy working. They badly need Gary Brent to run it. He runs things with precision.
They need to put a roof over the HSC concrete nets and turn it into an academy. They need to recarpet it and buy a couple.of bowling machines, specifically a couple of Merlins.
The players they select are another matter. You can't turn a donkey into a race horse. Guys like Marumani and Madhevere and Myers are not too old for Academy life. They have plenty of polishing up to do.
Add in Bennett and Welch Jr and a couple of others and you have a decent batting nucleus that will at the very least improve our national game at some point, but will make the franchise stronger.
They need to get SA age group tours going again. I'm not sure we have enough decent youngsters though. They perhaps need to combine age groups. These lads also need academy coaching beyond the 8 school games they play per year.
Spending all the cash on under cooked u19's is just a gross waste of money and is merely a window dressing exercise.

Unfortunately we are going to see money thrown in the wrong direction. With limited resources we need better players, not more players. This critical point is going to be missed by a margin. There has never been a modern international batsman that was not a monumentally good schoolboy, but we will keep looking for the unicorn.

I see Bvute offering his Indoor at a vast and unknown fee.

Hopefully a fair portion will be spent well, I guess the rest is theirs.

Googly

Post by Googly »

secretzimbo wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 6:55 am
A smaller chunk of the pie before. Even less so compared to our main competitors around us in the rankings. Overtaken by Ireland. Afghanistan closing the percentage gap.

And the general bad news for the wider game, the domination of India and the obliteration of the associates.

We should be mourning not celebrating an extra few million per year.
That would have been a great debate to listen to. Did M just roll over or did he fight tooth and nail? An extra 10 mill would have really changed the game.

Googly

Post by Googly »

How do they allow India to scoop 230 million! :lol:
With their corporate sponsorship at all levels they're probably close to self funding.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

The guys who have been given a bad deal are the South Africans in my opinion. They are next after us and their very existence depends on their T20 league now. Imagine the amount of money they spend to keep CSA running. They are in deep trouble if their league flops. I doubt they can pay much more competitive national contracts than us if they solely depended on the funding. They have sponsors as well but it's tough

As for our funding I have to be honest and accept that based on performance alone we don't deserve to get way more than Ireland and Afghanistan anymore.