WCQ Squad predictions thread

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: WCQ Squad predictions thread

Post by jaybro »

In regard to Marumani, the main reason I picked him is because he’s the backup keeper. I know that they could bring in another keeper fairly quickly if Clive got injured, but if he pulled up sore on the morning of a game it might be too late to get in the replacement.

If there was another batsman in the squad who could keep like we had previously with BT or PJ it wouldn’t as big an issue, but I just feel it’s risky not to have a backup keeper in the squad.

Also with Marumani, it gives us options to play a different way in certain conditions. Such as if it’s late in the tournament & the pitches are slowing & taking spin, we might want to open with Maru & have him attack the seamers whilst the ball is coming on.

We could then drop Wes back down the order and play the extra batsman, giving us 4 spin options, plus an extra batsman. It’s a similar reason why I’d like to have Jongwe there too, let’s say it’s early in the tournament & we’re playing Nepal or UAE and it’s more of a seamer friendly deck and we want to play 4 seamers.

It would be too big of a risk imo to play all 4 front line seamers, the tail would be too long, that’s why having Jongwe again gives us flexibility to play certain matchups.

I really like Myers, in fact I actually said I’d rather have him back than Ballance back when it got announced GB was returning. But I just think having Jongwe & Mavuta gives us more options. Ultimately the 8 batsman I’ve chosen should get the job done, I’d rather have the extra bowling options & backup keeper.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Big mistake to leave Myers out if thats the case. He is the best of the youngsters, and has a confidence that all of the others lack. I don't know where he got it from, but some people are just born that way. Myers has it. Can bowl some seam ups as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 4:36 pm
Big mistake to leave Myers out if thats the case. He is the best of the youngsters, and has a confidence that all of the others lack. I don't know where he got it from, but some people are just born that way. Myers has it. Can bowl some seam ups as well.
I can’t say I’ve watched him bowl this series, but I remember his action was very awkward and I have no doubts would have led to back injuries if he hasn’t adjusted it.

Anyways he hasn’t been selected for the A-series

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Squad for A series

Marumani
Madhevere
Ervine
Kaia
Williams
Burl
Shumba
Madanade
Mavuta
Wellington
Evans
Chatara
Blessing
Ngarava

14-man squad
Shumba in for Raza
No Myers
No Jongwe
Chatara picked over Nyauchi

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

What do you all see in Jongwe? Has he had an amazing domestic season? Has he done something amazing on the international scene recently?

He averages 13 with the Bat and 33 with the ball.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

ZCF has its favorites and then has some non-favorites (eg Timycen Maruma) and I imagine one guy starts the hype and then everyone just runs with it.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 11:33 pm
What do you all see in Jongwe? Has he had an amazing domestic season? Has he done something amazing on the international scene recently?

Evans averages 11.5 with the bat and 39.4 with the ball if we want to bring up stats. I don't see how he can be an undisputed starter just yet. It doesn't even have to be Jongwe challenging his spot. He just needs competition to stay on his toes.

I don't even agree with how Burl, Evans, Kaia and Madande didn't play the FC matches. They shouldn't be in a position where they feel that comfortable

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

zimbos_05 wrote:

33 with the ball is pretty decent for Zimbo standards to be fair.

He also bowls well the death, which is an issue for the majority of the other bowlers.

His batting is definitely an area where he has failed, but he can on his day hit them out of the ground.

He's definitely worth a spot in a 15-man squad

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 4:27 am

His batting is definitely an area where he has failed, but he can on his day hit them out of the ground.
How do you say that when he's never actually done that in his career thus far?

mnelson68

Post by mnelson68 »

jaybro wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 4:27 am
zimbos_05 wrote:

33 with the ball is pretty decent for Zimbo standards to be fair.

He also bowls well the death, which is an issue for the majority of the other bowlers.

He's definitely worth a spot in a 15-man squad
He is not fit and definitely should not be part of the squad