Zimbabwe v Sri Lanka | ICC CWC Qualifier | 2nd July 2023

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
mnelson68

Re: Zimbabwe v Sri Lanka | ICC CWC Qualifier | 2nd July 2023

Post by mnelson68 »

jaybro wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:27 pm
Crastle_cog wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:21 pm
Why are we calling for Chatara to be back? :lol:
I don't think Evans has put a foot wrong as such. Give the guy a game or two. Chatara would be hit all over the park you can mark my words.
Hasn’t been great though has he?

Dropped a catch and going for 7 an over

Hasn’t grab his chance by any means
Chatara has been horrible for a while now

Xlife
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Xlife »

sam_ahm wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:07 pm
Let's not get into a Black and White discussion guys. Please stop it right here. It's about Zimbabwe cricket.

Evans deserved his place in the side today. It hasn't worked out well so if they play Chatara next game then I'm ok with it. If they still play Evans, that is also fine because sometimes you need a back a player. Moreover against SL it is tougher.

The bigger question here is who replaces Jongwe? Kaia or Marumani Or do they simply stick with Jongwe???... I'll surely go with Kaia, it's a no brainer for me, but you never know what the management thinks.

Xlife
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Xlife »

sam_ahm wrote:
Let's not get into a Black and White discussion guys. Please stop it right here. It's about Zimbabwe cricket.

Evans deserved his place in the side today. It hasn't worked out well so if they play Chatara next game then I'm ok with it. If they still play Evans, that is also fine because sometimes you need a back a player. Moreover against SL it is tougher.

The bigger question here is who replaces Jongwe? Kaia or Marumani Or do they simply stick with Jongwe???... I'll surely go with Kaia, it's a no brainer for me, but you never know what the management thinks.
The racial discussion is never going away (in cricket and in real life), no matter how much you will it. There will likely always be a natural racial bias in some humans.

With regards to cricket, personally I would rather see an almost black squad in the future as that would mean we are likely maximising our talent pool (reaching rural areas etc). Relying on an extremely small community of whites for good players is not sustainable in the medium to long term.

Anyway, that's a separate thread for another day, just wanted to point out that players like Evans, PJ and Campbell are way overhyped here and haven't done anything to justify being in our best XI

mnelson68

Post by mnelson68 »

Googly wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:10 pm
Flower thought they'd stick with Wes so Kaia for Jongwe for me.
The Chatara/Evans debate is another story.
For all the shit Larry bowls he's taken wickets, hard to discount that.
Goes at 8 an over though and gets wickets at the end

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

The mistake we made here was playing 5 batsmen. Wes doesnt count at the moment. 5 batsmen against a very strong attack. This would have made it a closer game. Not saying we would have won after losing the toss

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

mnelson68 wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:38 pm
Googly wrote:
Evans goes for 7 an over and doesn’t take many wickets
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

mnelson68

Post by mnelson68 »

jaybro wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:39 pm
mnelson68 wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:38 pm
Googly wrote:
Evans goes for 7 an over and doesn’t take many wickets
Doesn't get opportunities, Chatara is finished , he bowls pies.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Xlife wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:37 pm
sam_ahm wrote:

The racial discussion is never going away (in cricket and in real life), no matter how much you will it. There will likely always be a natural racial bias in some humans.

With regards to cricket, personally I would rather see an almost black squad in the future as that would mean we are likely maximising our talent pool (reaching rural areas etc). Relying on an extremely small community of whites for good players is not sustainable in the medium to long term.

Anyway, that's a separate thread for another day, just wanted to point out that players like Evans, PJ and Campbell are way overhyped here and haven't done anything to justify being in our best XI
And why is it not sustainable? No cricket in rural areas will ever be played. About 2 black schools play.
Theyve tried the All Blacks for 20 years with no success.
What they need to do is ramp up the small community of whites playing. The very opposite of your Final Solution.
Last edited by Googly on Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mnelson68

Post by mnelson68 »

Googly wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:14 pm
Or just put Kaia at 7. Big ask for him to come straight in at top of rhe order.
Wowee I give up

Googly

Post by Googly »

TapsC2 wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:35 pm
For me my honest issue with Chatara is that he can't bat. At this very moment he picks up more wickets than Evans which by definition actually makes him a better bowler but I just feel you need a number 9 who can bat a bit in the modern game, especially when you are playing a stronger team. This is why I would have picked him.

The other problem Evans faces is that as it stands, Jongwe is a better batsman and he also has a knack if picking wickets randomly so he is in all honesty the better pick against stronger teams and on pitches which don't offer much for the fast bowlers.

I would say Evans is actually in the same position as Wes and co where he has a lot of things he needs to work on
Agreed