Where to from here?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Where to from here?

Post by Googly »

So how long are they going for?

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

Forever, making sweet pound sterling on the turning dustbowls of North Somerset.

zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by zimfan1 »

Zimbabwe Cricket has started to restructure it's coaching by appointing development stalwart Stephen Mangongo as head coach of a Zim Under-25 side to undertake a rigorous training & playing programme over next few years. New senior team coach & his full staff to be named soon.
From the fairly reliable journalist Enock Muchinjo

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Ya Mangongo has been invovled since Christmas. He presided over those pointless u25 ‘trial’ matches a couple of weeks ago. His unique ‘methods’ were apparently on display from day 1 :lol:

A few guys will be crapping themselves I reckon

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

He is probably Wes’ best chance of succeeding. He was one of the guys who backed him and he is probably going to make an exception of Wes and really make him change his ways.

I’m not against this at all. I’m more interested in the programmers, his supporting stuff and the players involved. It will need need a big budget but it must be done. Will they be on development salaries? Will the Naqvi brothers be involved?

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

I reckon most of the guys who are between 20 and 25 would have dealt with Mangongo before

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Mangongo is the saviour Zimbabwean cricket needs. The boys are soft and need toughening up.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Googly

Post by Googly »

If he's in charge of u25's for the next few years then presumably players will come and go as they hit 25, or is the team just in name only?
Steve likes to be front and centre so I envisage him trying to keep a strong team together and potentially competing in the NPL with that same team, or potentially even having them as a 6th franchise.
He will make a difference and a part of that reason will be the team will be fit and will have put in more practice than other local teams. Whilst Mangongo will get kudos for that, what will the other teams' coaches get for not being as well prepared? Do you congratulate one guy and not tell the others to pull their socks up?

If he does try and keep his team together and compete locally he'd have taken a chunk of the best players. It will weaken the remaining sides.
I'm not saying this is the plan, but its possible, and I'm not saying if it's good or bad. I just know he likes being in the thick of it and will want to show he's making a difference.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

The Mangongo Maniacs, playing out of Manicaland should be the team created for Mangongo.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Chawaguta has been appointed the new women’s coach ahead of the Ireland T20’s.

So he’s not getting the permanent men’s gig (thankfully).