Dustin Melton

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Dustin Melton

Post by eugene »

Let Melton-mania begin! How do we get this guy back to Zimbabwe and in the team? A ZCF obsession is certainly a good starting point! Who remembers Moor-mania? He was nowhere near the team until ZCF got behind him. Melton is the future, anybody who stands in the way of this reality needs to be driven from the cricketing community.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Dustin Melton

Post by secretzimbo »

Jaybro is going to explode.

Me too tbh

andrea lanzoni

Post by andrea lanzoni »

One of things that Cricket Zimbabwe must do is the "recollection" of the diaspora.

I know it's not easy task with small budget, but it is a must to try to woo ALL Zimbabweans overseas, including those who have achieved in the meantime a double nationality.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

eugene wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:04 am
Let Melton-mania begin! How do we get this guy back to Zimbabwe and in the team? A ZCF obsession is certainly a good starting point! Who remembers Moor-mania? He was nowhere near the team until ZCF got behind him. Melton is the future, anybody who stands in the way of this reality needs to be driven from the cricketing community.
A ZCF endorsement is the golden ticket every player yearns for. Moor and Burl are great examples, but our most historic campaign would have to be plucking Jakiel out of club-level obscurity and getting him an international cap.

Googly

Post by Googly »

:lol:

Googly

Post by Googly »

I think Dusty may have hung up his boots, not sure if he's even playing Club cricket.
I have seen him bowl up close and personal. He was not first choice for Derbyshire but that doesn't mean a lot. He was quick and had some control. Also could hold a bat, despite his shite average.

As a group we've gone from kicking around names ad nauseum to being believers and now back to wondering what's in store when the retirements hit and the transition process. From being gung ho to oh shit in the space of a grim week.
Despite the protestations of boring conversations about players we've not actually seen it doesn't change the fact that ZC should be really proactive in making plans for what is now essentially yet another rebuilding phase, but with what players? We've got less genuinely good cricketers to choose from than ever before. We need quick bowlers! We're OK in the national side, but we've literally got 3 bowlers countrywide that can bowl 135.

Here's another boring one- we need a HPC with the right staff and players, not a cousin to make up numbers, but players whom they qenuinely believe can step up.
If guys like Marumani, Shumba and Madhevere are struggling then who else is there? Are they just not good enough or are we not finding the right way to put the finishing touches to these guys. These are lads that competed well at u19 level, have done reasonably well in our franchise, but then keep dropping the ball at international level. There are no easy answers or it would have been done by now. We all know Madhevere is the closest we've got, genuine ability, but keeps finding ways to get out.
Hoping that a franchise stalwart suddenly hits his straps is honestly not going to happen, there's 20 years of concrete evidence.

I have some faith in Myers, Bennet and Welch Jr and to a lesser degree Macmillan. They're the next wave of Madhevere, Shumba and Maru, and deserve the same exposure at franchise level and any A tours that may happen. There's also a huge Falcon lad that I reckon could learn to crank it up.

mnelson68

Post by mnelson68 »

andrea lanzoni wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:22 am
One of things that Cricket Zimbabwe must do is the "recollection" of the diaspora.

I know it's not easy task with small budget, but it is a must to try to woo ALL Zimbabweans overseas, including those who have achieved in the meantime a double nationality.
Yep it's the only option for the short to mid term , the depth just isn't there as it stands.

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

What happened to Saul?

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:57 am
Jaybro is going to explode.

Me too tbh
:lol:

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:42 am
eugene wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:04 am
A ZCF endorsement is the golden ticket every player yearns for. Moor and Burl are great examples, but our most historic campaign would have to be plucking Jakiel out of club-level obscurity and getting him an international cap.
Don't forget we got Jakiel into both the Zimbabwe and Malawi teams! Cephas Zhuwao had quite the following on ZCF also.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes