Zim Afro T10 | 20th-28th July 2023

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Zim Afro T10 | 20th-28th July 2023

Post by secretzimbo »

So I guess we should have a thread for the tournament itself and the matches.

Squads:
Harare Hurricanes: Eoin Morgan, Robin Uthappa, Evin Lewis, Shahnawaz Dahani, Mohammad Nabi, Donovan Ferreira, Duan Jansen, Samit Patel, Irfan Pathan, S Sreesanth, Khalid Shah, Kevin Koththigoda, Regis Chakabva, Luke Jongwe, Chris Mpofu, Brandon Mavuta, Tashinga Musekiwa

Bulawayo Braves: Tymal Mills, Ben McDermott, Ashton Turner, Taskin Ahmed, Thisara Perera, Beau Webster, Patrick Dooley, Kobe Heft, Mujeeb ur Rehman, Ansh Tandon, Suresh Raina, Sikandar Raza, Ryan Burl, Joylord Gumbie, Timycen Maruma, Innocent Kaia, Faraz Akram

Cape Town SAMP Army: Bhanuka Rajapaksa, Karim Janat, Maheesh Theekshana, Rahmanullah Gurbaz, Sheldon Cottrell, Chamika Karunaratne, Peter Hatzoglu, Matthew Breetzke, Parthiv Patel, Stuart Binny, Mohamed Irfan, Sean Williams, Richard Ngarava, Cephas Zhuwao, Hamilton Masakadza, Tadiwanashe Marumani, TInashe Kamunhukamwe

Durban Qalanders: Sisanda Magala, George Linde, Asif Ali, Andre Fletcher, Hazrat Zazai, Mohammad Amir, Tim Seifert, Tayyab Abbas, Mirza Tahir Baig, Muhammad Farooq, Craig Ervine, Tendai Chatara, Brad Evans, Clive Madande, Hilton Cartwright, Nick Welch

Joburg Buffalos: Tom Banton, Mushifqur Rahim, Will Smeed, Ravi Bopara, Yusuf Pathan, Noor Ahmad, Odean Smith, Junior Dala, Usman Shinwari, Mohammad Hafeez, Rahul Chopra, Blessing Muzarabani, Wellington Masakadza, Wessly Madhevere, Victor Nyauchi, Milton Shumba

There' some very random and average players in there but also quite a few very decent ones so overall it's pretty exciting. The biggest thing to happen here since the Stanbic days I guess.

I've never watched a T10 game in my life and I'm pretty sure I'll hate the format. But I suppose this is the way of the world now.

The floodlights apparently went up today. Hopefully they are permanent, and hopefully they actually work :lol:

There's been some sort of trials programme in Zim last week and apparently some 'local wildcard' (Under 23) players will be added to the squads.

No idea of the actual fixtures yet, especially the start timings.

zimbos_05

Re: Zim Afro T10 | 20th-28th July 2023

Post by zimbos_05 »

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Yeah, some good players in there which is pleasing to see. I haven't watched a T10 game either, let's see how this goes. I was searching for some younger Zimbabwean players in the squad list and dissapointed not to find many. May be just Nick Welch and Marumani... I'd have liked to see the likes of Bennett, Myers, Falao and a few others.

Overall I think ZC is just doing this for money rather than both talent grooming and money.

Crastle_cog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Crastle_cog »

sam_ahm wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:54 am
Yeah, some good players in there which is pleasing to see. I haven't watched a T10 game either, let's see how this goes. I was searching for some younger Zimbabwean players in the squad list and dissapointed not to find many. May be just Nick Welch and Marumani... I'd have liked to see the likes of Bennett, Myers, Falao and a few others.

Overall I think ZC is just doing this for money rather than both talent grooming and money.
Tbf neither Myers nor Bennett appeared for the trials. So I'm not that surprised.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Is this thing televised somewhere?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Googly

Post by Googly »

I wonder whether the lights will be ready in time.
I'm assuming they've got new lights as the old ones they've had for years must be old technology.

I wonder how the pitch will react under lights. At 7pm this time of year its bloody cold. My guess is its going to do a lot.

Whats a par score? My guess is 120 ish.
How many batters are allowed?

There are some serious players in these teams. This must have cost a lot of money. Where do the profits come from?
Is this linked to the cricket that's going on in The States?

Googly

Post by Googly »

I wonder how many of these guys have played a T10.
Some teams/players will make mistakes how they go about the batting.
You can't just swing from ball one because some of these bowlers simply won't let you. :lol:
How long is the power play?
I'm looking forward to seeing Mohammed Amir bowl, he was simply the best. I'm hearing the Pakistanis are having problems getting here, either with their NOC's or their visas.
Noor Ahmed is another that will make an impact.

How many pitches are they going to use? That's a big one.
In order for this to work well we want to see good decks.

I wonder if the zim fans will come and watch.
Whether we like the format or not this is an opportunity to see some amazingly good players. I'm astounded at some of the guys in these teams.
Whilst we want to see guys like Myers and Bennett, I'd be very apprehensive watching them face Tynmal Mills. That's like eating cauliflower, you have to get used to it. Your well being is at genuine risk.

Googly

Post by Googly »

How did Chivanga not get picked?
Sheldon Cottrel is another quick bowler.
Watch Samit Patel. Over age, over weight and an absolutely brilliant bowler and a mighty handy bat. Plays for Notts.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Banton and Smeed in the same team. They both open for Somerset. Proper young guns. I don't overly rate Smeed, doesn't like pace. Banton is just spooky if he gets going.

The trick here is to get going from ball 1,2, or 3.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Bopara is another old Bullet, but still better than practically everybody.