Zim Afro T10 | 20th-28th July 2023

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimbos_05

Re: Zim Afro T10 | 20th-28th July 2023

Post by zimbos_05 »

Not going to lie, kind of stopped watching after day 3.

Just seemed a bit unnecessary to me. Might have something to do with the hangover of the failed world cup qualifier, or the fact that T10 just doesn't cut it. There were players in this comp that haven't played in years earning a paycheque and they barely did anything. We also didn't really get to see talent fully express itself when it only got two overs or such.

From what it sounds like though, it's turned out well, so can only hope more good things come from it.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I thought it was an incredible tournament with amazing cricket on display. Never thought I'd say this, but kudos to ZC for getting this going.
The Dubai guy seems to have invested here (Cyber-City), which is basically building a new high end CBD near the new parliament. That's a vast expensive long term undertaking, so if it goes ahead then this tournament will hopefully not be a one off.
The lads all hopefully made some money, and I'm sure some of the batting skills on display were eye opening for our local players. There's a lot of work to do!

I'm just telling you all that this T10 with 3 games on the trot is going to really gain traction. Its brilliant entertainment.
Bloody difficult format to play. Every ball is hugely important. Without doubt its a brilliant way to sharpen one's T20 skills. It's basically the back end of a T20.
We need to do our own internal T10 at least twice a year.
It's fast, all the teams under one roof in Harare, get used ro lights etc etc. It ticks a lot of boxes.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Yeah I agree the quality was better than I expected. Some seriously good cricket on display at times. And at times some of our guys stood up well and competed which was nice.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Chasing 140 from 60 balls is incredibly difficult. I had underestimated how hard this format is. It is a good way of preparing our guys for T20s. We tend to have a relaxed approach, this can only help. At one point even Ervine had to come out swinging :lol: It was a big success and our domestic T10 now has a lot more meaning.

We can't underestimate how much the Lahore Qualanders are going to do for us as well. That probably wouldn't have happened if this tournament hadn't taken place. All this effort by ZC makes it easier for fans to move on and look forward to the future. Its now pretty obvious that every board needs a tournament to supplement the ICC funds. They are on to something.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

A buddy of mine was at the final and he said it was absolutely electric, a vibe he'd never experienced before at HSC.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Those slower balls from Brad Evans were something unreal. Late swing and such amazing control.

Also, this Maposa kid looks like he's worth some investment in. He clearly has a yard. Raw..but quick

andrea lanzoni

Post by andrea lanzoni »

I retain my opinion that T10 is not a format that I like.
When it comes for shorter format than T20 I prefer much more the recent Hundred Balls format.

Having said that, I read in the thread of this forum that AfroT10 has drawn interest and massive spectators, So I can't but hope it is to be continued for the years to come.

However what I liked most it has been to see the ground floodlit: floodlights is nowadays a mandatory investment. Zimbabwe are to get accustomed to play often under floodlights.
Moreover, with the chance of short format matches (T20 included) to be played night time, you can get spectators even for matches played on week days.

Googly

Post by Googly »

What was hugely disappointing was the complete lack of white spectators. I think the Pakistani bookies outnumbered them 10:1.
No white kids or adults, literally less than 30 on each day. Of those 30, maybe 5 white teenagers.
It seems cricket has dropped off their radar and that's not being resurrected any time soon.

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

:lol:

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

Maybe they prefer the longer forms.