The curious case of Nick Welch

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: The curious case of Nick Welch

Post by sloandog »

Ben Curran is a very very under rated battery and these minor county leagues, on green seamers in the cold rain is very tricky for any batter.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Googly wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:44 am
Matt W had a bad back injury, which is unfortunate as he was a promising keeper batsman. He's a talented batsman though. We have a few of those, it doesn't seem to help :lol:

We need guys who can convert, but I know he's keen to play.
OH didn't make the NPL so we won't be seeing him there?
Here's a niche fact.....Matt played a couple of games for Takashinga last year!
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28678&p=188068&hili ... ga#p188068
Last edited by secretzimbo on Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

sloandog wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:56 am
Ben Curran is a very very under rated battery and these minor county leagues, on green seamers in the cold rain is very tricky for any batter.
I don't know about that. He doesn't seem to have scored a run at any level in England for about three years and he had 1 good innings out of about 20 in Zim last season.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

secretzimbo wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:02 am
sloandog wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:56 am
I don't know about that. He doesn't seem to have scored a run at any level in England for about three years and he had 1 good innings out of about 20 in Zim last season.
They're tricky conditions though mate as you well know.
I play in the GMCL prem, a proper standard of cricket, and some of the bowlers and conditions you face are almost unplayable.
Still think he's somebody to keep a gentle eye on this coming domestic season

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

secretzimbo wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:32 am
Nick is coming back.

Curran is having a difficult club and minor county season in the U.K. again at the moment, it’s hard to see how he sustains a career for himself at this point. Maybe one last roll of the dice here this season.

Bennett will definitely be playing domestic again.

Welch Jr, who knows? He’s been injured a lot, and quite seriously. I guess if he appears in the upcoming NPL that will be the clue.
Good Info SZ.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Let Welchmania begin!
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

What number does Nick Welch bat in each format? I hope he doesn't have a Ben Curran like season :lol: they rate him though.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

TapsC2 wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:12 am
What number does Nick Welch bat in each format? I hope he doesn't have a Ben Curran like season :lol: they rate him though.
He opens in T20. Down the order in first class

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

Leicestershire had him coming in down the order later in the blast. Not sure who’s thinking that was though.

Googly

Post by Googly »

He's always opened as a junior and in seconds, but he likes bat on ball so would be better suited 4-6 in red ball and possibly 50 over, but is a good opener in T20.
Nobody likes opening in 50 over or red ball in particular, it's a thankless task and the odds nearly always favor the bowling side for the first 10-15 overs. He can open though. He got second team games for 3 years in County before he was eligible because he opened when others didn't want to.
They dropped him down the order in T20 because he had three failures, which was odd because they never seem to change their losing squad in any format. A bit short sighted as well because he basically got them to the quarter finals last year out of nowhere after him not even being in their original line-up. Some guys have failed very consistently there for many years and never get sent down :lol:
With their atrocious batting line up they saw fit to play 2 overseas bowlers in T20, who failed miserably. Money is clearly a huge issue, but the thought processes are non existent.

They've had a mass exodus of their best players at Leicestershire, rats abandoning a sinking ship, and have now probably spent half their budget trying to retain two good ones. Their coach was fired without an official statement which means there was something more to it than the worst record in county for 5 years. He talked a big game, but never delivered. He'll talk his way into another gig. They've got no money to attract big names, their Academy and age group is shite and they rely on a couple of guys coming through Loughborough, but were too stupid to pick up Montgomery. Thats like not recognizing Kohli has ability. They rely on guys with absolutely no options and pray they come good without having to put in too much effort in the coaching dept. I don't see how they turn it around. They failed to even have discussions with good players leaving big counties, continually fail to retain good players who use Leicestershire as a stepping stone because they won't/can't pay what other Counties offer.
Even Ackermann has left, who was their long standing very mediocre captain. Derbyshire will soon see how inconsistent he is, he goes 6-10 games without a score and then pulls a big one out of nowhere. He's a yes man there to see out his time. I don't see how he makes the Derbyshire side in any format, but let's see...
Leicestershire's squad this coming season is going to be the worst on paper by a huge margin. I don't see them winning a single game. They could have signed Darren Stevens for 2 last glorious years aged 48 and he'd have been their best player. I'm not even joking :lol:
They've currently got Kimber opening in red ball (never opened in his life) and he's going to implode yet NW is here playing T10 :lol:

If they ever have a serious discussion about reducing the number of Counties Leicestershire will be the first on the chopping block. NW made a serious blunder signing with them, they've hamstrung his career and his cricket has stagnated. Guys he was as good as at Surrey are 4 years into their careers and he hasnt even started yet, its just bizarre!! He's basically batted for his life for the last 6 years every time he plays, nobody on this planet can survive that sort of pressure. They re-signed him in September last year which is not allowed as it gives a player no time to explore his options and will probably try the same tactic this year. July is the cut-off. Hopefully he has a good agent and makes some sensible decisions (again after the cut off date!) because Leicestershire is not the answer. My guess is they'll offer him another deal, let's hope he doesn't take it.