NPL 2023

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: NPL 2023

Post by secretzimbo »

Great to see Dane back in Zim. I think next year at Notts is his last in his contract? So clearly keeping his options open much like Welch and Curran did before their final years. Another Zimbo treated quite badly over there. He has no chance when the head coaches son is the wicket-keeper!

Any idea which franchise he's joining? I'm guessing Rocks with his brother. I wonder if PJ will continue to be welcomed back or not? And I wonder if Curran has given up or giving it one last crack? Also Ali Frost?

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Pat_Bee wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:30 am
Dust off the old laptop in preparation for some pitchvision :lol: There’ll be one fixed camera, filmed in random places like KweKwe or Masvingo and no commentary but hey ho. Something right with the world though watching that at work with my super benevolent boss man. Spend six months of my year in England for work and guys think I’m totally mad opting for the ZC stream over higher profile events. Like preferring the t10 over the Ashes.

Not often chatted about on here but I’d like to see the women’s game make some big steps this next year. There isn’t necessarily the disparity in the women’s game. Australia definitely and possibly England and South Africa aside, everyone else is much closer in terms of ability and making investment in this now before there’s a real gulf in class like the men’s game may seem prudent. It’s easier to catch up now. I honestly don’t mind the women’s game, they’re physically less strong than men so need more skill and gamesmanship than pure brute force.
The streaming for the NPL play-offs was mostly excellent to be fair. Hoping we get something similar for the Pro50 matches this year.

Agreed on women's cricket. Hasn't really progressed a huge amount over the past year or two while the men's game has taken quite big leaps forward. They have a good coach though. And there appears to be some schools playing girls cricket now. Need more domestic/franchise fixtures at senior level though.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I see there's a 14 year old white girl in the women's squad?
Is that true?

pillowprocter

Post by pillowprocter »

Googly wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:09 pm
I see there's a 14 year old white girl in the women's squad?
Is that true?
Where did you see that?

Googly

Post by Googly »

I was told there was? Might just be a rumour

Googly

Post by Googly »

Danielle Meikle. Trying to find her age.

Googly

Post by Googly »

secretzimbo wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:52 pm
Great to see Dane back in Zim. I think next year at Notts is his last in his contract? So clearly keeping his options open much like Welch and Curran did before their final years. Another Zimbo treated quite badly over there. He has no chance when the head coaches son is the wicket-keeper!

Any idea which franchise he's joining? I'm guessing Rocks with his brother. I wonder if PJ will continue to be welcomed back or not? And I wonder if Curran has given up or giving it one last crack? Also Ali Frost?
No idea which franchise.
Ben Curran is around and rumour has it that he was struggling to find a franchise but I think that's resolved.
Frost is around so he is also presumably playing. I think he's made the Emerging Irish side so he will have to make a decision soon.
Eddie and Carlson are coming back.
I don't know about Compton.
Theres a young English leggie coming. I'm not sure how why or when. There's usually a connection and in this case doesn't seem to be one.
Thats all I know for now.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

No she’s still only in the u19 girls squad not the seniors.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Why are white women's cricket players so rare?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Some of the government/high density cricket schools occasionally have girls cricket but basically none of the schools frequented by white kids do.