NPL 2023

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: NPL 2023

Post by sloandog »

Who's chibanda? He looked spicy in a game I've just rewatched

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

sloandog wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:31 pm
Who's chibanda? He looked spicy in a game I've just rewatched
Aisha?

Former Churchill boy. About 21 I think.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Yea he looked very handy

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

TapsC2 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:34 am
Maybe for the T20s but I'm not a fan of increasing the number of sides. We have seen how the standard drops drops when 16 guys are on national duty.
Ya thats the problem. When everyone is available and there are overseas here then I think 6 teams is definitely justified. But as soon as the national team goes away, or the overseas go back home, the quality can't sustain it.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I haven't been impressed with him yet. Hits it hard for sure, swings and misses a lot, but doesn't appear to have a touch and definitely panics.
It's early days. He's the same age as Bennett and Welch Jr, there's no comparison atm.

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

Anyone know which guys have gone to the training programme in Pakistan?

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

zimfan1 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:26 pm
Anyone know which guys have gone to the training programme in Pakistan?
Tinotenda Maposa, Tawanda Maposa, Tanunurwa Makoni, Marshall Takodza, Bright Phiri, Lennox Chando, Davis Murwendo and Alex Falao

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

This Pakistan pace tour is one of the best moves ZC have made in a while. Provided it is actually good.
We need foreign coaches and exposure to different environments. Pakistan are cricket nuts so should have good coaches.
No alcohol and drugs so they won’t get sidetracked and the country is enough of a shithole that the players will not be tempted to defect to them like the England tour.
If the academy is good they’ll come back much stringer and probably won’t cost a shit load
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Crastle_cog

Post by Crastle_cog »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:33 pm
This Pakistan pace tour is one of the best moves ZC have made in a while. Provided it is actually good.
We need foreign coaches and exposure to different environments. Pakistan are cricket nuts so should have good coaches.
No alcohol and drugs so they won’t get sidetracked and the country is enough of a shithole that the players will not be tempted to defect to them like the England tour.
If the academy is good they’ll come back much stringer and probably won’t cost a shit load
No drugs is an overstatement lmao

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Our new allies in Pakistan were also pushing for us to introduce tape ball cricket to the masses here because its cheap and teaches kids how to swing the ball and I guess the young batsmen how to deal with swing.

I hadn't heard of tape ball cricket before but after doing some research I don't think it's a bad idea. Mainly because I think it can help us identify kids who can swing the ball at a much younger age. That can then give us enough time to actually help them focus on things like pace. I'm impressed by how much these guys actually want us to improve. I hope Jarvis and the rest of them actually push for this.

I have never understood how SA can produce so many fast bowlers and we can't. We are right next door. Can only be the scouting and youth development for me. Not many kids this side start off wanting to be a spin bowler anyway. It doesn't make sense.