NPL 2023

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: NPL 2023

Post by Googly »

It takes years to get a level 4 and some real sweat

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Googly wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:12 pm
29 coaches with level 4?
I’ve re-read. The wording is a bit sloppy. I think it actually means 29 got Level 3 or above and an undeclared number of these were L4.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

If anyone is looking for a coach, the list of those who have newly obtained at least a Level 3 are;

Elton Chigumbura, Prosper Utseya, Njabulo Ncube, Blessing Mahwire, Cephas Zhuwao, Shingirai Masakadza, Donald Tiripano, Chris Mpofu, Trevor Garwe, Francis Rashikai, Malcolm Chikuwa, Dumezweni Siband, Lazarus Matore, Steady Musoso, Remembrance Nyathi, Gestinos Gwatiringa, Keith Kulinga, Johnson Marumisa, Erick Chauluka, Andrew Durham, Robert Chiminya, Moses Chitare, Square Square, Aaron Phiri, Kudzai Tasa, Washington Nzira, Farai Chari

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Another fun fact from the report - ZC made a surplus of over $3m. Days of debt seem long behind.

Terryalderman

Post by Terryalderman »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:43 pm
If anyone is looking for a coach, the list of those who have newly obtained at least a Level 3 are;

Elton Chigumbura, Prosper Utseya, Njabulo Ncube, Blessing Mahwire, Cephas Zhuwao, Shingirai Masakadza, Donald Tiripano, Chris Mpofu, Trevor Garwe, Francis Rashikai, Malcolm Chikuwa, Dumezweni Siband, Lazarus Matore, Steady Musoso, Remembrance Nyathi, Gestinos Gwatiringa, Keith Kulinga, Johnson Marumisa, Erick Chauluka, Andrew Durham, Robert Chiminya, Moses Chitare, Square Square, Aaron Phiri, Kudzai Tasa, Washington Nzira, Farai Chari
Square Square - Steady Musoso. Are they taking the piss??

Googly

Post by Googly »

I know out coaching certificates were not recognised elsewhere and that's why people were going down south to try and get one by whatever means possible. There was an attempt a while back to make the standard the same as internationally recognised ones and it was squashed because very few people were able to pass them. That was level 3.
I used to see Grant Flower studying for his level 4 with his computer in front of him for months. If I'm not mistaken you then have to attach yourself to a big team and learn under a level 4 coach for at least a season and write some exams, do some practical stuff in front of a panel of guys who ask tricky questions and critique your methods.

It's all about high standards, without them we're pretenders and everyone knows it.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

In Dave we trust though? Maybe standards are higher now? I have no idea

Googly

Post by Googly »

One would assume so, but it doesn't change the fact you should have a coaching certificate that's recognised elsewhere. That should be the goal. I'm not disputing that it's a step in the right direction but the PR of lines of wannabe coaches practicing forward defence was not a good look.
With all these guys getting level 3's and 4's they're clearly vying for franchise jobs. Some of them are players reaching retirement and desperately needing jobs. Without a recognised certificate you're only going to get a poorly paid job in Zim. There's a bun fight coming with a bunch of players reaching retirement age and needing to get into coaching without the means or perhaps the ability to set up their own stuff and needing a job from ZC. Most kids can't afford to pay for coaching anyway. Plus there is that poor mentality that everything should be free. Even a token payment changes a mind set.
If they're going to set up an Academy and perhaps resurrect some age group and pump some money into the dreaded grass roots thing then there will be spots available. The prime jobs will be going to whom?
If you want to make a school side, age group or higher side get the coach of that side to give you some lessons. :lol:
Tried and trusted. Throw in a car just to be sure.
A decent life after cricket is almost impossible here.

Why has ZC shuffled last year's franchise staff around?
Doug Hondo spent the off season in UK getting a recognised certificate, what's his new post? He will be one of the few with a recognised piece of paper.
I'm not saying it makes you a good coach or an enthusiastic one, but you need the correct paperwork. Unless he's back into the national fold he'll be feeling aggrieved waving a hard earned guilt edged piece of paper if someone gets his job with lesser credentials. Whoever gets his Eagles post will be smiling. He did well for them last year.

50 over franchise starts this week and franchises are having their first practices only now? I understand that most were playing NPL but there were no NPL practices, only games.
Other countries practice almost year round. Its a job not a hobby. Until we wrap our heads around that we are always going to be on the back foot.

I wonder where they are planning on having this academy?
Ideally you need an indoor facility. ZC briefly flirted with the AC Academy with its adjacent gym. The guy who owns it was a world ranked decathlete. He's a guru. They should be using him. He has huge knowledge.

It's almost time for them to bury the hatchet with BT. His batting knowledge is second to none. Who is an up and coming young gun going to really pay attention to? Some of them actually think they know all the answers already which is a problem.

We're moving in the right direction though. Long may it last.

Oh I see Dane Schardendorf is back for the season. Even though he played mostly Two's you'll see the difference being in a real pro set up for 11 months of the year makes.
He's a good player. If he has a good season I'll almost guarantee he'll throw his hat in the ring.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I was interested in Andrew Durham. I see he's a Peterhouse coach. There should be more school coaches doing these courses. It should be compulsory actually.

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

In Dave we do trust yo. Can’t harm to have a number of coaches qualified with a Level 4 award though.

Like all things, the “Africanism” comes into play; ZC knows in its heart that a greater number of higher qualified coaches will improve our game, however it’s the old chiefs mentality. The ZC board run cricket in this country and there’s no way common sense will prevail and they’ll open things up a bit more and lose any grip on their monopoly.

With the Pro50 franchise league approaching, that’s another year somehow accounted for. Dave declaring 90 odd behind the West Indies in the test, trying to force a result and defending 235(?) against WI at the qualifiers were highlights, obviously not qualifying against Scotland the lowlight. Williams absolutely hit some golden form this year and it’s a shame for him. Tried to Western Union a fan in BYO some dollars from overseas during the qualifier but had no idea how the app worked yo.

Zim Afro t10 was a success and I hope it comes back, this tour of England in 2025 was the shock announcement of the last year. Nick Welch, he’s well and truly in the fold after his return from England. Antum Naqvi, well we all know his game but he is making a solid go of it, stats don’t lie.

BT, well, got about a year and a half yet doesn’t he?! Is that like jail; shorter ban for good behaviour? His runs are credit in the bank but his off field shenanigans may nullify that. He’s got the ability to be in and around the mix, will he want to make his comeback, do us the fans want him to and more importantly does ZC want him to?

Dust off the old laptop in preparation for some pitchvision :lol: There’ll be one fixed camera, filmed in random places like KweKwe or Masvingo and no commentary but hey ho. Something right with the world though watching that at work with my super benevolent boss man. Spend six months of my year in England for work and guys think I’m totally mad opting for the ZC stream over higher profile events. Like preferring the t10 over the Ashes.

Not often chatted about on here but I’d like to see the women’s game make some big steps this next year. There isn’t necessarily the disparity in the women’s game. Australia definitely and possibly England and South Africa aside, everyone else is much closer in terms of ability and making investment in this now before there’s a real gulf in class like the men’s game may seem prudent. It’s easier to catch up now. I honestly don’t mind the women’s game, they’re physically less strong than men so need more skill and gamesmanship than pure brute force.