Zimbabwe Emerging Tour of South Africa

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Good Craic2
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: Zimbabwe Emerging Tour of South Africa

Post by Good Craic2 »

sam_ahm wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:58 am
Problem is that when FTP was getting finalised, Zimbabwe were in total mess. Hence no one really wanted to play against Zim, except for an odd series. I'm sure if FTP was to be prepared today, Zimbabwe would have got a better deal.

Even now, as far as there are no cancellations we should have good amount of games starting November... We might end up playing Ireland a 1000 times in the next 3 years btw.
I wouldn't mind a couple game in Northern Ireland, were I am, but Ireland seem to play all their games either in the Republic or overseas. Large Indian community in Belfast and lots of clubs around these days

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Pretty sure we played in Stormont last time we were there?

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

I really hate playing agaisnt these associates.
We are getting conditioned to playing against 125 km bowlers.
And I don’t see the point supporting them if they are playing 2nd rate teams only. Not passionately anyway.
I don’t get any satisfaction on watchful them beat Ireland or Nepal.

I want them to play top ten teams with associates sprinkled in.
That’s what fires us up.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

sam_ahm wrote:
Problem is that when FTP was getting finalised, Zimbabwe were in total mess. Hence no one really wanted to play against Zim, except for an odd series. I'm sure if FTP was to be prepared today, Zimbabwe would have got a better deal.
How do you figure that necessarily? ZIM actually did worse at the 2023 WCQ (4th place) than in 2018 (3rd place) in terms of where they finished. In both tournaments they were knocked out by a team that itself did not qualify for the WC. For most outsiders, the end results still look very much the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

Haha seen him skulking around on Mst Monira Khatun’s Facebook page like half of Bangladesh.

Crastle_cog

Post by Crastle_cog »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:34 pm
sam_ahm wrote:
How do you figure that necessarily? ZIM actually did worse at the 2023 WCQ (4th place) than in 2018 (3rd place) in terms of where they finished. In both tournaments they were knocked out by a team that itself did not qualify for the WC. For most outsiders, the end results still look very much the same.
For someone who relatively follows Zimbabwe cricket, it's outrageous for you to suggest they did worse compared to 2018. Even if you refer to the outside eye i.e, the people who barely follow Zim Cricket, victories against Pak in the wc, against Australia, Bangladesh, then India barely breezing past in one game, standalone performances of Raza, Williams and Ngarava definitely have caught the eye. While I was back home in India , I noticed the differences as well. Up till now people were ignorant following the slump of ZC over the last two decades. They only knew Masakadza and Taylor at most and even recently Zimbabwe Cricket used to be a meme in India while being coined with Pakistan. Circumstances have changed and now Williams, Raza, Burl and company are quite well known. It's absolutely out of order what you're suggesting here.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Crastle_cog wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:02 pm
For someone who relatively follows Zimbabwe cricket, it's outrageous for you to suggest they did worse compared to 2018. Even if you refer to the outside eye i.e, the people who barely follow Zim Cricket, victories against Pak in the wc, against Australia, Bangladesh, then India barely breezing past in one game, standalone performances of Raza, Williams and Ngarava definitely have caught the eye. While I was back home in India , I noticed the differences as well. Up till now people were ignorant following the slump of ZC over the last two decades. They only knew Masakadza and Taylor at most and even recently Zimbabwe Cricket used to be a meme in India while being coined with Pakistan. Circumstances have changed and now Williams, Raza, Burl and company are quite well known. It's absolutely out of order what you're suggesting here.
I'm just talking results wise, ZIM were 4th this year, 3rd in 2018. The standard of opposition was probably better this time around, but still.

At the end of the day, most outsiders, look at results.

Put it this way: If India wins every game in the World Cup but loses in the semi-final, very few Indians will say "we were 9-1, thats a very good record". At the end of the day its going to be about the result.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

Crastle_cog wrote:
They only knew Masakadza and Taylor at most and even recently Zimbabwe Cricket used to be a meme in India while being coined with Pakistan.
Used to be a meme :lol: :lol: let’s not get ahead of ourselves yo. Zimbabar will do the rounds forever more and Kohli was cropping up everywhere in a photoshopped Zim kit when he went about 4 years without getting an international ton.

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

Ya literally results wise I guess it was worse than 2018. To some fans results are all that matters, to other fans the story as a whole matters and we’re generally a better side than the 2018 side. We’ve come so far since then that we’re a completely different team.

Go and WhatsApp Monira hey see what she thinks of it all.

Crastle_cog

Post by Crastle_cog »

Pat_Bee wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:34 am
Crastle_cog wrote:
They only knew Masakadza and Taylor at most and even recently Zimbabwe Cricket used to be a meme in India while being coined with Pakistan.
Used to be a meme :lol: :lol: let’s not get ahead of ourselves yo. Zimbabar will do the rounds forever more and Kohli was cropping up everywhere in a photoshopped Zim kit when he went about 4 years without getting an international ton.
What I mean by 'used to' is in relation to the proportions. It wasn't your regular day in the office where you saw the Zimbabwe players getting any sort of respect or fame outside Zim. Now a few of them certainly do and that has elevated the image of the team I would argue.