Zim Test in England - Confirmed

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Pat_Bee

Re: Zim Test in England - Confirmed

Post by Pat_Bee »

They sure will and be 50/4 in short order. Then some bizarre captaincy decisions will let that run away to 500/5, we all know the score :lol:

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Lots of negativity here but surely this is amazing news?

Also I’m definitely not against 4-day tests. Considering how expensive Tests are I’m not sure why we haven’t hosted 4-dayers here

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

It is amazing news. From a cricketing purist perspective it doesn’t get any bigger than a test match against England in England. If I were an international cricketer that would be top of the bucket list.

4 day tests do have their merit. It just feels a bad deal when other sides get 5, you know you’re getting 4 because you’re a poor team. 4 day tests for everyone would do more to save test cricket than Bazball I’m sure.

Man, I’ve really got it in for Bazball hey :lol:

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

It makes sense though for England. If we’re honest our chances of taking England to a 5th day (if no rain) is extremely small. Why would the ECB want to hire a ground for another day, pay the many hundreds of staff etc they need, get all the caterers and bars and stuff in , security, broadcasting etc - when there is almost no chance there will be play on the 5th day. They’d lose an absolute fortune.

In our case in terms of when we play Afghanistan or Ireland or heck even Bangladesh, Windies etc - if we are hosting here in Zim and we complain that ‘Tests cost too much money’ - we should be looking at 4 days too, if that makes hosting more palatable and likely.