Zim Test in England - Confirmed

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
andrewn9

Re: Zim Test in England - Confirmed

Post by andrewn9 »

About 5 years ago, the ICC ruled that tests could be played over 4 days instead of 5 to encourage test fixtures between stronger and weaker nations in an already crowded schedule, the expectation being that the stronger nation would only need 4 days or less to win. England have so far played 2 4-day tests, both times against Ireland, and won both within 3 days.

Dubois
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Dubois »

andrewn9 wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:58 pm
About 5 years ago, the ICC ruled that tests could be played over 4 days instead of 5 to encourage test fixtures between stronger and weaker nations in an already crowded schedule, the expectation being that the stronger nation would only need 4 days or less to win. England have so far played 2 4-day tests, both times against Ireland, and won both within 3 days.
and didnt we also play one with SA that wrapped up in about 2 days or so?

andrewn9

Post by andrewn9 »

Dubois wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:14 pm
andrewn9 wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:58 pm
and didnt we also play one with SA that wrapped up in about 2 days or so?
Yeah, I'd forgotten about that one. IIRC it was a Day/Night 4 day Test and was not our finest hour!

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

The offensive scraps of an English summer this four day test. Beggars cannot be choosers however and it’s high time they repaid us for poaching all those players over the years. I really hope it is the start of something and not as a previous poster alluded to, the ECB pandering for our vote in some ICC election.

Will need some serious bazball to force a result in four days, leaving them susceptible to batting even more recklessly than usual. Play it right and we can compete. The Logan Cup to be fair to it is solid and comprehensive, stands us in better stead than say an Ireland I suppose. England aren’t always the quickest out the blocks each summer and I’d guess this would probably be the first test of the season for them?!

Will Jimmy Anderson aged 43 still be there, back where it all started for him? Will Muyeye be there? Will any of our big three still be there? Here’s the big one; will BT be time served by then and if so, could this opportunity lure him back into the fold for one last hurrah?

A few guys like Burl, Gumbie, Innocent Kaia, Madande, Wes etc. will hopefully have kicked on by then. Bowling; I’m not so concerned, that takes care of itself with those Dukes balls in May if they stick to line and length. What new guys will be there?

It’s two years away but I’m super pumped already. I’d absolutely love it if we beat them, absolutely love it. I’d also have no shame in praying for rain as required however.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

I hope this stays confirmed! But I am pretty pleased to see it finally.

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

Taylor? :lol:

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

sloandog wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:02 am
Taylor? :lol:
Stranger things have happened mate. :lol:

andrea lanzoni

Post by andrea lanzoni »

Zimco wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:38 am
Why four days.
Test Match in four days is not a bad idea, especially when there is a manifest skill gap between the two teams.

What is to be added is that 4 days must actually be 4 days. In other words: a reserve fifth day is to be scheduled as mandatory in case one day turns out in washout.

In County Cricket Championship 4 days works well, they only miss the possibility of a fifth reserve day as too maany draws are due to weather conditions.

Another experiment would be to reduce change side from each over to, say, every 5 overs. It would be to speed up the length of games, be more TV friendly and reduce the dependance from weather conditions.

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

What skill gap? Even without the big three and BT making his fairytale come back we’ll school these English as to what test match cricket is all about.

England have picked a 4 day game in May so the rain will more than likely save their blushes when the Bazball experiment gets found out against quality bowling.

tgk

Post by tgk »

Pat_Bee wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:17 am
What skill gap? Even without the big three and BT making his fairytale come back we’ll school these English as to what test match cricket is all about.

England have picked a 4 day game in May so the rain will more than likely save their blushes when the Bazball experiment gets found out against quality bowling.
They're gonna crumble against big Blessing and Richie