RIP Heath Streak

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sam_ahm

Re: RIP Heath Streak

Post by sam_ahm »

Life is so unpredictable and cannot be taken for granted. Good on ZC to publish a tribute. we all have to go one day, but what remains is the legacy we leave behind and Heath has left a beautiful legacy indeed.

Rest well Streaky, we all love you! ❤

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

He just had so much to live for though, that's what hurts the most. He had so much loving fanily and friends, lived on a beautiful farm and lodge, had money behind him and wanted to make a difference to Zimbabwe as a nation in general. He gave back so so much where others only took, yet he's the one who has taken his last breathe. Incredibly sad day and one that'll stick with me for some time. I truly hope one day we have the means to beat such cruel illnesses.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

I had three favourite players growing up - Jonty Rhodes, Heath Streak, and Andy Flower. Maybe it is just an age thing and real life getting in the way more as an adult, but no players have ever mattered to me as much as those three. Once they all retired cricket was never the same. I had always hoped to one day meet Streaky on a trip to Zimbabwe, a place I've never been despite being a huge Zimbabwe cricket fan.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

eugene wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:16 pm
I had three favourite players growing up - Jonty Rhodes, Heath Streak, and Andy Flower. Maybe it is just an age thing and real life getting in the way more as an adult, but no players have ever mattered to me as much as those three. Once they all retired cricket was never the same. I had always hoped to one day meet Streaky on a trip to Zimbabwe, a place I've never been despite being a huge Zimbabwe cricket fan.
I always wanted to meet him too. All the tributes that have been flooding in have mentioned that Streak put them up on his farm and how beautiful it was, how hospitable he and his family were. He was a true gentleman through and through. Dennis Streak must be absolutely devastated, having to bury his own child

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

eugene wrote:
You'll have to have a pilgrimage one day.

I'm reminded that Heath's father, Dennis, actually built his own full cricket oval on their family farm - I wonder if any old traces of it still remain? A challenge for anyone who enjoys trawling Google Maps. Look around Turk Mine, about 50km north of Bulawayo. Several touring sides played there in the 80's and 90's.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Posting this article here, probably the last in-depth article written about Streak?

https://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story ... ath-streak
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

jw2

Post by jw2 »

sloandog wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:45 pm
eugene wrote:
I always wanted to meet him too. All the tributes that have been flooding in have mentioned that Streak put them up on his farm and how beautiful it was, how hospitable he and his family were. He was a true gentleman through and through. Dennis Streak must be absolutely devastated, having to bury his own child
Yes, he was a great guy, always helpful and obliging, approachable, willing to share his knowledge in a humble way. Sadly this made him vulnerable to a very cunning confidence trickster and, being a clean country guy rather than a city slicker, he trusted the wrong person and paid a bitter price for it. I cannot believe he was knowingly guilty of corruption, just tragically poor judgment, and the ICC seemed over-eager to make a tremendous example of him. I seriously wonder if the stress of all that contributed to his cancer.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ya there's a strong correlation between stress and cancer. Doesn't bode well for me :lol:

Those black arm bands worn by England were probably a throwback to an era some there remembers.
The Streak family often entertained players at their ranch.
That must have been eye opening for people to whom a quarter acre plot makes you the landed gentry.
I believe they lost a good portion of their farm, probably to someone who owns another 10.

One of the main attractions for touring teams used to be the after cricket stuff. The Zim cricketers used to make an effort to entertain, and were often in a position to do so. That's largely a thing of the past.
Also teams had a lot more free time to enjoy.
I've had many beers with Botham and Gough. Good guys, with big capacity for beers and fun.
Also had a run in with Chris Cairns. Absolute piece of work.

If I were English I'd be pushing for a Zim tour until Nato and Russia finish their nuclear war. Hopefully fought with mini-nukes.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Anyone have any idea why there are suddenly so many guests viewing this platform. Last few times I've logged in there have been over 300. That's highly unusual.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Googly wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:36 am
Ya there's a strong correlation between stress and cancer. Doesn't bode well for me :lol:

Those black arm bands worn by England were probably a throwback to an era some there remembers.
The Streak family often entertained players at their ranch.
That must have been eye opening for people to whom a quarter acre plot makes you the landed gentry.
I believe they lost a good portion of their farm, probably to someone who owns another 10.

One of the main attractions for touring teams used to be the after cricket stuff. The Zim cricketers used to make an effort to entertain, and were often in a position to do so. That's largely a thing of the past.
Also teams had a lot more free time to enjoy.
I've had many beers with Botham and Gough. Good guys, with big capacity for beers and fun.
Also had a run in with Chris Cairns. Absolute piece of work.

If I were English I'd be pushing for a Zim tour until Nato and Russia finish their nuclear war. Hopefully fought with mini-nukes.
Yea Mike Atherton told my dad that the hospitality he received in Zimbabwe in 1996 was unparalleled at the time. Said he went to stay with Andy Flower for a meal and had some beers. Sounds like Streak was a master of hospitality though