Vic Falls Stadium

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Vic Falls Stadium

Post by Googly »

I'm hearing rumours that with our additional 10 or so million a year this money stealing absolute scam is being tabled again. They will drain every last additional cent we are getting and then some.

I am praying to the cricketing Gods somebody sensible talks them down or all the advantages we may get from additional funding will vanish. It makes me sick to my stomach thinking of the disaster that awaits us.

Pat_Bee

Re: Vic Falls Stadium

Post by Pat_Bee »

:lol:

Wondered how long it would take for this to get a mention. Saw a few posts on Facebook at the start of the week.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Is it 2010 again?!?! Fuck me. Let’s hope this never happens

Googly

Post by Googly »

I'll bet my arm it's going to happen. The loopholes have not been so easy to find lately. This is the proverbial bottomless money pit rivaling the Metropolitan bank heist of Bvute's.
He liberated at least 50m during his long tenure.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Considering the amount of money ZANU steal, we should be one of the wealthiest boards in the world, and a Vic Falls stadium definitely has appeal from a tourist perspective.

Cricket is quickly becoming no longer a traditionalist sport. It's a hotbed for bookies, money funelling and random competitions all in the name of entertainment.

Prestige is quickly lost in this sport, so why wouldn't ZC want a Vic Falls stadium. I bet there is an Indian Businessman sitting there wondering if they can build it near the falls in someway.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

It really doesn’t have that much appeal from a tourist perspective.

How many of the existing tourists to Vic Falls are bothered about cricket being played there or not?

And how many new tourists would it bring? At best we would play India once every 2-3 years and bring some people in. Maybe England very occasionally if relations continue to warm. But none of the other nations we regularly play are a big enough market anyway in terms of visiting fans.

What would the ground do for the rest of the year? It would be too hot and humid to play there for at least 6 months of the year - coincidentally our entire domestic season. It would soon fall into disrepair from lack of use.

There’s also hardly anybody living in Vic Falls interested in cricket so there isn’t a local market. In contrast we’ve seen Harare can attract 10,000+ people for literally any international match in recent times.

When you consider the sheer cost necessary to build it you could turn HSC into a genuinely world class stadium and really improve facilities at all the other provincial grounds.

Googly

Post by Googly »

It would be the equivalent of building a stadium in Chad.
There is nobody that plays cricket there. Its hundreds of km from anywhere, and the heat is completely debilitating. Summer there the temperature is regularly over 40.
It would not get used on a regular basis. Who would pay to transport our local players there, and where would they stay? Bed nights there are hectically expensive. It's almost a two day drive from Harare and particularly Mutare. Plane tickets from Harare are about the most expensive on the planet per km flown.
Building a Formula 1 track there makes more sense and that makes no sense either.
It's not even irresponsible, it's just a means of making a shit ton of cash in the building scam. Have we not seen enough of that??

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Stadium would get built, host a T10 tournament, and then fall into disrepair and be stripped for parts. In five years there would be nothing left except a few people who got wealthy off the whole thing.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

They will turn those 20% contractor margins to 30 or even 40% if people let them build that stadium. Complete waste of money. Let's upgrade what we have. I understand the last major upgrades that happened were for the 2003 World Cup. We need to be focusing on upgrading Queens and HSC plus getting Mutare and Kwekwe up to international standards, or at least HSC standards with lights. That would be better than spending money on a stadium that will never be used.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

I always wondered when the facilities were upgraded