2023 ODI World Cup Discussion

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sam_ahm

2023 ODI World Cup Discussion

Post by sam_ahm »

Since it is an ICC event and a multi national tournament, I'm starting a thread here. Hope you guys are fine with it.

I miss Zimbabwe in this World Cup as much as you all, it pains me to see another WC without them but that's the way it is, the event is here and we all can appreciate quality cricket that will be on display for the next 6 weeks.

This is the last 10 team World Cup and hopefully the last time we won't be seeing Zimbabwe participate in a world event.

This is a thread for discussion on all World Cup games as the tournament begins.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: 2023 ODI World Cup Discussion

Post by secretzimbo »

Let me know when it’s the semi-finals.

This massive 10-team round robin format was absolutely turgid and dreadful in 2019.

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

Yea that's the same as me. It gor dull

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

This is my current World Cup 2023 Power Rankings based mostly on current form, but slightly taking conditions into consideration:

1) India
2) England
3) South Africa
4) New Zealand
5) Australia
6) Pakistan
7) Sri Lanka
8) Bangladesh
9) Afghanistan
10) Netherlands

Just a couple of months ago, I would have had Bangladesh at 6...but both Sri Lanka and South Africa have really been on a tear lately. I will still say, if BD can gel...they can still finish in the top 5 or 6, but they will really have to improve by leaps and bounds from their current level. It CAN be done, but the odds are long.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:45 pm
Let me know when it’s the semi-finals.

This massive 10-team round robin format was absolutely turgid and dreadful in 2019.
It will all come down to how competitive teams ranked 7-10 will be. Top 6 - whoever they are at the moment - will probably all be in the running for the semifinal till the final round of group games. But will the likes of Sri Lanka and Bangladesh push for an outside chance? That will determine how exciting it will be. The excitement comes from not knowing who will win rather than a pre determined result. That’s what’s made the WCQ so exciting. NED came out of now where like Afghanistan in 2018. ZIM had qualification locked up, but faltered in the clutch both times.

For some reason I think this tournament will be exciting, despite a number of stars being out injured.

I’m getting super stoked.

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

England are winning this. Stokes coming out of retirement to lead them to success is the fairy tale this time.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Off the dome here, players to watch part I:

Najmul Hossain Shanto - 12 months was ridiculed and reviled…YTD is averaging 48 and that’s including a barren series vs Afghanistan where he scored 20 odd runs in three innings. Not highly rated outside of Bangladesh, but my prediction is 400+ runs in the WC will change that real quick.

Charith Asalanka - top notch stats, can he do it in big pressure situations?

Kusal Mendis - career average of 32 belies his tremendous talent but like Shanto he’s turned it on this calendar year. Good news is he is a big match player.

Harry Brook and Marnus Labuschagne - two players with tremendous profiles…in red ball cricket. Both only made the team as injury subs…can they translate their games into the 50 over format?

Haris Rauf - tremendous record…can he do it against the worlds best?

Jasprit Bumrah - can his body keep up with the rigors of throwing down 100+ overs of the highest intensity over the next 7 weeks?

Ibrahim Zadran and Rahmanullah Gurbaz - tremendous record so far…how does that go on the biggest stage albeit in friendly conditions?

CalZim
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by CalZim »

Not the slightest bit interested in this comp, the best team aren't even playing!

Much more interested in the upcoming africa qualifiers, where we get to see Uganda and Kenya in action. I still have flashbacks to the series where Hammy scored around 600 runs in an ODI series.

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

I’ve no interest either really. Just sledging laddo when Zimdesh get hammered.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Pat_Bee wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:11 pm
I’ve no interest either really. Just sledging laddo when Zimdesh get hammered.
I look forward to it as long as you actually watch us play…you’ll see what talent actually looks like. 😁🇧🇩🐅