Zimbabwe tour of Namibia 24 Oct-30 Oct 2023

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC2

Re: Zimbabwe tour of Namibia 24 Oct-30 Oct 2023

Post by TapsC2 »

They are probably injured. Evans had finally found a wicket taking delivery in the T10s. I hope he is back soon. Interesting to see they didn't waste time with Welch. This is good for both parties.

Googly

Post by Googly »

If you look at the squad members' NPL T20 stats there are a few selections that don't stack up.
In a small player pool you have to use some common sense and pick guys that you know can play up, even if they didn't do too well in a local comp.

Madhevere confuses me greatly. You can see he's got real ability, but a guy with that level of talent and experience (because now there are no excuses in that dept), surely should have figured out how to be more consistent.
Put away a couple of high risk shots is all.

Mayavo is the spare keeper, is he not? Marumani is injured or you'd think he's the other keeper.
Evans has shin splints or some stress fracture or he'd have had good bowling figures in the NPL. Doesn't usually take too many poles but is very economical. This new slower ball he's learnt is a good one as well. And of course I keep telling everyone he can bat. We will see it one day.

It's a pity that Chris Mpofu has "retired" because he's still good enough to make a squad based on the couple of NPL games he played.

Shumba was consistent, but his strike rate is possibly what kept him out. There are enough batters so he'd have to have had better bowling figures and a higher strike rate to be considered. His competition is Wellington, that's not going to end well for him. Welly is more than handy for some runs, I think he's a very clever bowler as well. Rumour has it he's being groomed for captaincy. If Naqvi ever becomes eligible then who knows who will sit out. It won't be Wellington.

You can't have have mostly good selections then a couple of spots reserved for Board picks. ZC will never learn that.
Then on the day the coaches have to juggle it so the 2 board picks aren't on the field at the same time.

Kamunhukamwe probably got selected on the back of that astonishing 50. Not many guys can hit like that, but in-between is some real inconsistency. The story of all Zim cricketers. You pull an innings off like that in an international and you're guaranteed your spot for at least 3 more games no matter how shit you bat.

Luke is just lucky to be there in my view. He'll take a few wickets with shite balls in this comp, watch. He's a lucky bowler, counts for a bit actually.

Surprised at NW selection. I thought he'd have to wait and do well in domestic for a while. There's never a guarantee of that either.

I've seen worse selections than Faraz, he's not bad, great bloke, but that's a board selection. Musekiwa is the guy that should get exposure in this tour. He's going to be good. He is good.

Googly

Post by Googly »

TapsC2 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:44 pm
They are probably injured. Evans had finally found a wicket taking delivery in the T10s. I hope he is back soon. Interesting to see they didn't waste time with Welch. This is good for both parties.
A bad scenario would be a couple of games to lock him in and then nothing for a while. I doubt that though. It's clear he's a good player.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

At least Willo is there. Can never be too sure these days!

Googly

Post by Googly »

Well he's not on the plane yet :lol:

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Well I'm assuming Evans is injured then and that's tough on him.

Faraz Akram is a surprise selection, I have seen him in the past and he doesn't impress me much, not much pace, not much of a bat either... Really strange selection. They could have selected Gwandu Or Nyauchi, that was still better.

Mumba, probably picked for his lower order big hitting and a handy bowler. I don't know if he will get a game, let's see, not the worst selection though, worth a gamble.

K-Long, again will have to see if he has improved. If he plays then he has to go all out from ball one, be that all Or nothing player... Otherwise there is no point in selecting him.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Kamunhukamwe can't rotate the strike like PJ. His biggest weakness. Surely that can be coached? If you can clear the ropes surely you can pick some gaps. You can get away with it at domestic level but at international level you might get 8 or 9 good deliveries in a row

Googly

Post by Googly »

If you can't rotate strike you're not going to be vaguely consistent. It's key. Our system is inundated with guys who aren't good at it. You take so much pressure off yourself if you can hit the gaps. I'm yet to see anyone suddenly improve at it either.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Googly wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:49 am
The Haj and Umrah generate $12 billion per annum for Mecca. Thats an astonishing revenue stream.
That’s why the Quraish were in opposition to Muhammad. They would have to make a lot of reforms in order to retain that money.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Googly

Post by Googly »

You have to wonder why Trevor Gwandu never got a call up.
Finished top of the leaderboard with some serious bowling stats.
18 wickets in 7 matches. Economy of 6 and average of 9.
Carl Mumba is getting some flack on social media because his returns were not good.