Series thread: Faithwear Inter-Provincial One Day 2008-09

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!

Who do you think will win the Faithwear Cup?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:53 am

Centrals
No votes
Easterns
7%
Northerns
53%
Westerns
40%

Total votes: 15

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Series thread: Faithwear Inter-Provincial One Day 2008-09

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Faithwear fixtures: http://sandbox.zimcricketnews.com/node/1890

Squads: (thanks Detective RDS)
Squad of Faithwear Cup:

Easterns: Hamilton Masakadza (capt), Stuart Matsikenyeri, Forster Mutizwa (wk), Johnson Marumisa, Timycen Maruma, Prosper Utseya, Shingi Masakadza, Silent Mujaji, Steady Musoso, Philimon Kadzitye, Natsai Mushongwe, Douglas Hondo, Steven Nyamuzinga, Tendai Chatara, Bezel Sanyika, Donald Tiripano

Northerns: Elton Chigumbura (capt), Tatenda Taibu, Brendan Taylor, Regis Chakabva (wk), Cephas Zhuwawo, Bernard Mlambo, Sam Mwakayeni, Raymond Price, Admire Manyumwa, Trevor Garwe, Graeme Cremer, Tinashe Chimbambo, Patient Charumbira, Peter Moor, Clement Rizibhowa, Mohammed Bala, Tinotenda Mutombodzi

Centrals: Chamu Chibhabha (capt), Erick Chauluka, Richmond Mutumbami, Robertson Chinyengetere, Bothwell Chapungu, Malcolm Waller, Tafadzwa Kamungozi, Tendai Chisoro, Mike Chinouya, Rememberence Nyathi, Solomon Mire, Tendai Chitongo, Simbarashe Gupo, Nathan Waller, Vusimuzi Sibanda, Friday Kasteni, Alester Maregwede (wk), Roger Kahiya

Westerns: Keith Dabengwa (capt), Mark Vermeulen, Tafadzwa Ngulube (wk), Sean Williams, Charles Coventry, Mbekezeli Mabuza, Freedom Takarusenga, Romeo Kasawaya, Tawanda Mupariwa, Christopher Mpofu, John Nyumbu, Njabulo Ncube, Titus Chipare, Kendrick Moyo, Thabo Mboyi

It would be good if ZCF could select a few players who we expect to do well or to monitor their progress, and then review their performances throughout the series (hopefully scorecards and match reports will be provided).

I'm going to start with a few obvious names: Mark Vermeulen, Freedom Takarusenga, Robertson Chinyengetere - they all have the potential to have played for Zimbabwe by the end of the year. Is there anyone else we should be monitoring?

muyendesi

Re: Series thread: Faithwear Inter-Provincial One Day 2008-09

Post by muyendesi »

i think we might get some scorecards this time around . it seems like zimbabwe cricket and cricinfo i now good friends????

zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by zimfan1 »

now that taylor is out of the series i am going for westerns with good batting and bowling

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

I am going for Westerns.

They have good batsmen featuring likes of Vermeulen,Coventry,Williams,Ngulube.I think Westerns posseses a decent amount of international class batting in the squad more than the other teams.Keith Dabengwa can assist the team with his all round performance and we know that he is a good fielder with the experience of playing international cricket under his belt.They have Mpofu and Mupariwa in the pace department.This team is shaped nicely.

Northers will be competitive too.They have players like Chigumbura,Taibu,Chakabve,Price and Cremer in the squad.

Players to be watch out for: Mark Vermeulen,Charles Coventry,Douglas Hondo.I also want to see how Chakabva and Ngulube performs.They have good domestic records.Hondo has been an experienced bowler of Zimbabwe.If he can put some impressive performance,I think there is a chance of his being selected for the national side.All the international players will also remain under microscope.

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by maehara »

I'm going to go with Northerns, for no other reason than that they're my "home" team. The new provinces don't seem to attract the same home following that they did when they played as Mashonaland, Matabeleland etc - time to change that. :)

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Even I feel the Westerns are really well balanced, with Coventry to blast off at the start of the innings, followed by solidity of Williams and Vermeulen. Mupariwa and Mpofu effectively provide national team new ball pair. It is the captain who is a worry there ;). But I'll go for them - they should be winning it, unless Chigumbura has other ideas, or Masakadza decides to reproduce his last year's domestic form...

Players I would follow: Coventry, Takarusenga, Chinyengetere and Kahiya, of course.

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by maehara »

ZC have launched an impressive-looking homepage for this series:
http://www.zimcricket.org/faithwear/

Now let's see if they can keep it properly updated..! :)

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

Tawanda Mupariwa is going to miss the Faithwear series.Injury concerns I reckon...Missed out in the last 3 ODIs against Kenya.

From Zimbabwean cricket official website:
But Clement Mahachi, Westerns coach was confident that names will not be crucial in winning this year’s Faithwear Series. “Although we will miss our biggest missile in bowler Tawanda Mupariwa who is capable of giving you at least five wickets per inning, we still have enough as both Keith Dabengwa and Chris Mpofu can deliver and they both have been doing well,” he said.
Also Brendan Taylor,Vusimuzi Sibanda,Alester Maragweede,Friday Kateni and Peter Moor likely to miss the Faithwear series.

Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic)
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic) »

I will root for Northern-western final.
Zim Rules
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr Satendra Singh, Delhi, India
Twitter: @drsitu

Train Driver
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Train Driver »

I thought that i would go with Centrals, well someone has to :?

I base my choice on the quality players available, there is Chamu Chibhabha, Malcolm Waller and, erm, a number of other highly experienced players such as Tafadzwa Kamungozi and Tendai Chisoro, not to mention Centrals own version of Keith Dabengwa, Erick Chauluka !

A bit of a shame that we have to scrub Sibanda, Kasteni and Maregwede, but, hey, who needs experience ;)