Zimbabwe vs Namibia | 3rd T20I

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Zimbabwe vs Namibia | 3rd T20I

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Crastle_cog wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:38 pm
I don't want to be negative after a win but k-long is the epitome of the problem in our system. It's either boundary or dots. We seriously need these guys to learn how to nick out the ones and twos. It's wonderful how he can hit the ball but if you add the running to your game I figure you could be more of a complete player.
To add to this, even though someone f K Longs shots were great, I think he would get smoked in a class attack.
Maybe it was just the camera work or something but the Namibian attack looked as terrible as I’ve ever seen from an international side. Similar to Oman. Medium pacers not well placed. Basic spinners you get in every side. I never felt the victory was in doubt and I tuned in just as Welch got out.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

That is the issue but he did ok. He doesn't pick his opponents. Those are the kind of guys who will destroy Rwanda for example. Just smack them and not over think it like what some of our better batsmen do.

Donald

Post by Donald »

TapsC2 wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:04 am
That is the issue but he did ok. He doesn't pick his opponents. Those are the kind of guys who will destroy Rwanda for example. Just smack them and not over think it like what some of our better batsmen do.

Not sure of all the K long criticism. Was he not our second top scorer in match. First international for a while so has right to be a little circumspect. I would be more worried about ervines form right now

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

I think you’ve got a touch of recency bias Donald mate. Can’t just go off the last match or last series when Ervine has a 15-year body of work where he’s been so classy whilst K-long has underperformed many times historically.

It takes time to change people’s opinions so K-long needs to put a run of good scores together to over a period of time for people to be convinced. Let’s hope he can do that!

He faced a large amount of dot balls yesterday. That’s his big issue

Donald

Post by Donald »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:17 am
I think you’ve got a touch of recency bias Donald mate. Can’t just go off the last match or last series when Ervine has a 15-year body of work where he’s been so classy whilst K-long has underperformed many times historically.

It takes time to change people’s opinions so K-long needs to put a run of good scores together to over a period of time for people to be convinced. Let’s hope he can do that!

He faced a large amount of dot balls yesterday. That’s his big issue
It's a good start and nothing more for a guy who has not played internationals for a while. No bias from me. I'm very objective 😃

Flakeman

Post by Flakeman »

Let’s make this 4-1. Unrelated, but does anyone else get irked by how much attention Theofilatos seeks on Twitter? I don’t follow him yet his projections of self importance pop up on my feed every day. Really feels as if he’s the peoples journalist of choice…Needs a proper poes klap.

Crastle_cog

Post by Crastle_cog »

I'm also not saying K-long is the perpatrator here.
He was decent considering he hasn't had an international for long.
My issue was the glaring similarities we have in our system, we saw that with Gumbie too in the qualifiers. We just don't rotate the strike as we should. I feel like if we could sort this out it will take us a long way. Rotating strike is very underrated in cricketing terms. You get the scoreboard moving, keeping momentum as well as not let the bowler get into any rhythm. Takes your individual game a long way.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

I like that we are giving chances to everyone, that is really good. Kamunhukamwe did well yesterday and I would like to see him play with more freedom. Welch I hope gets a big 50 in the next game, that will be great for his confidence. They should play him in all 5 games.

Raza has been the stand out player, hands down the best across both teams. This is his format, he is at his best in T20s and is making it count.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Donald wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:44 am
TapsC2 wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:04 am

Not sure of all the K long criticism. Was he not our second top scorer in match. First international for a while so has right to be a little circumspect. I would be more worried about ervines form right now
Recency bias is a good way of saying it. Kudos to secret on that. I’ll go one step further. He is the sort of guy that I could easily feel smoking a 50 against a shitty associate but I measure by batsman how they perform against top 8 attacks. There is NO WAY K Long performs better than the Maruma types in this regard. Maruma (and Ceohas) was the ultimate 3rd rate attack bully.
The only current guys who are capable against a real attack are Raza (even he gets overwhelmed) Williams, Burl, Wes and Craig.
Craig’s technique and mindset makes him just as adept at NZ as he is against Namibia.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

I love the way Kamunhukamwe is referred to as "K long" by almost everyone on the forum! 😂