Zimbabwe vs Namibia | 5th T20I

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC2

Re: Zimbabwe vs Namibia | 5th T20I

Post by TapsC2 »

Post the big 3 we are going to need a tough coach like Andy Flower. DH is the right man for the current situation but once these guys with their trauma retire we need a legend who can call it as it is.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

I can see media headlines getting tougher on these guys. I really like Dave but he has to be a bit careful. If they don't qualify I think he will be in trouble. Why not just play your full strength team in the 4th T20 and try wrap it up? Why expose these guys to more pressure situations? That's the only thing I blame him for. He trusts these guys way too much. They are damaged goods.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ngarava bowling at Van Lingen and Erasmus made a big difference. They didn't fare well against him.
Despite those early wickets we should still have won that last game. Larry also bowled as tight as I've seen him.

What do you mean by a tough coach? The last thing we need is a "tough" coach. Grown men don't respond to u19 type coaches that think the way forward is a boot (or lack thereof) camp type mentality.
Success comes from team cohesion and guys playing for each other. I think we need a better approach to fitness.
My concern is a couple of guys not reading the situation and thinking they could knock that total off by going hard when it was clear that pitch was tough. Were Madhevere, Kaia and Raza left to work out their own game plan or did they not follow instructions? It's a big concern that they didn't figure it out all by themselves.

Mr Houghton has achieved success by not being over controlling. We've had our fill of angry coaches and interfering admin. This is a wake up call to get our house in order and have a completely professional set up throughout, not have a couple passengers in every single set up, whether they're players, coaches, managers or admin staff. They've got to stop looking after people that shouldn't be there. You're almost as strong as your weakest link in a cricket set up, that's how it should be viewed, anyway. If they sneak in some passengers and think the strongest guys will carry them it's a problem. It can't happen in your national side, it's going to stick out like a dog's ball. It has been happening in the rest of our cricket though.

When the opposition are not giving you one shit delivery on a tricky pitch you have to hold your nerve and be a bit patient for a while. Then of course you have to find a way of keeping the scoreboard ticking when you're not getting much to hit. Burl and Welch did that well for a while with drop and runs. Welch also recognised we werent going to chase 10's in the last 3 overs and was trying to keep going at 7's. He reads the game well. The worrying part is we should be able to chase 10's for a few overs.

What ZC should be doing is giving ICC a heads up that Namibia might try and prepare decks that are not conducive to T20 cricket. Umpiring was also a joke. They made some key home town decisions there. I'm assuming there will be some "impartial" umpires.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

There is a difference between Mangongo and Andy Flower because Andy has seen it all and coached the best players in the world. When he was around for the qualifiers you could tell he was disappointed by some of the captaincy and shot selection.

You can't tell me under Andy Flower, Raza would have found himself in a tough chase 2 months later and done the exact same thing. You expect your best players to be consistent. Or how you get Wes and Kaia constantly playing reckless shots but there is no consequences.

The truth is people don't want a tough coach because our senior players are sensitive. Which is why I said after they go we need a new strategy.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

For me there is simply no excuse in not winning yesterday. Whether the pitch was shit or the umpires made a couple of home calls we still should have won. We need mentality monsters otherwise we will keep making excuses until Rwanda starts beating us. They need to have some pride man

I always go back to Australia fielding a full strength team even in the final ODI when they had won. They weren't there to break anybody into the team or try out combinations. They were there to win. Had they won the toss in the final odi they would would have bowled us out for under 100 and won. Mentality.. why is Sean Williams at home? Those are things I'm talking about. We need to break this cycle man
Last edited by TapsC2 on Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Any professional sports team will phase out players who constantly lose when they shouldn't besides Zimbabwe cricket. ZC has a captain who isn't even suited for the format. That's like making Jongwe our test captain

Googly

Post by Googly »

Most of our wins have also been from Raza's and to a lesser extent Williams' exploits. Let's not lose sight of that. We need other batters to come to the party and it hasn't happened. They threaten and then give it away.
NW is an unknown. Its clear he can play, but he needs a run at it to see if he's got it. He's had a tough time of it and he is a tough guy. International cricket is not easy as we well know. Ditto for Naqvi. Everyone is calling for him but there's no guarantee he would feature.
I actually have high hopes for Bennett, Myers and Welch Jr down the line. It's about big match temperament. Maybe they have that bit extra?

An Andy Flower type approach I think would run into problems here. A good blend would be Flower and Houghton together. Let the guys who want to bat for 3 hours a day go under Flower. There won't be many of them :lol: Is ZC still paying Ratshit his 20k a month to stay away? Our real problems are going to start when money starts being diverted to the White Elephamt Vic Falls Money Pit.

We can't phase out under performing players because we don't have others knocking on the door, that's our perennial problem. There's about 10 players and then a big gap and then the rest. We've done the musical chairs thing.
Let's take Wes as an example. He knows he's probably always going to get picked. How much better would Bennett or Welch Jr have to be than him to get the nod ahead of him? There's always that problem as well.

Not many batters are really that consistent. The success rate of a world class one is generally one in three. Thats why you need 7 good ones and maybe two fire in a given game.

Googly

Post by Googly »

The other issue is lack of international game time. There's such an abyss between that and our franchise standard.
In franchise you wait for the bad ball because its coming sooner than you think. That's why our batters struggle at international level because you've got to score off good deliveries. It's what separates the men from the boys.
Franchise is not great prep for international. Its better than nothing and you get time in the middle if you last that long, but as soon as you go up a level you just think, fuck me where am I getting a run here? The gap is massive.

I'd like to see Naqvi face 10 good overs for example. We won't know how good he really is until we see that.

It's going to be interesting to see if they pick a squad immediately and go into camp to prepare or they assemble with only a few days to go.
I'd be preparing right now and on turning holding decks just in case.
I just heard that Brad Evans actually has a stress fracture in his shin. That's going to be him out for a while.
I see Williams has played a couple of domestic games. If you're playing a domestic game when you should be playing an international one then you need to straighten out pronto.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Googly wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:09 am
We can't phase out under performing players because we don't have others knocking on the door, that's our perennial problem.
This 100000%.

Truth is most of the guys selected are the best that are available.

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

I’d take Dave over Andy any day.

Raza; no doubting his quality whatsoever, it’s always about him though, the Raza show. Probably saw his name on the back pages of The Herald - Raza brings it home with a 10 ball 50 or some nonsense. No way a guy of his quality should be fucking up a simple chase twice in the space of a few months. Yes we overly depend on him but that comes with the territory when you’re as good as him.

Welch is quality and will go far, definitely a cut above a lot of our boys.

Williams is an old man with a family, if he’d rather skip this tour then good luck to him. We all know he’ll turn up at the qualifiers and start making runs straight away. He’s less of a celebrity than BT or Raza, sneaks under the radar but is a better batter than both by far. He’s the real key man in all this.

Naqvi :lol: he’s neither here nor there, poor man’s Raza. He’s still hasn’t got that back door passport anyway.

Saw Rajput get a mention on social media today as it happens. Forgotten the guy existed truth be told.