2023 ICC Men's T20 World Cup Africa Qualifier Regional Final

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: 2023 ICC Men's T20 World Cup Africa Qualifier Regional Final

Post by Googly »

The Namibia Kenya game on Monday and the Uganda Kenya game on Wednesday are important.

If Kenya were to beat Namibia and Uganda and hopefully lose to us (assuming we beat Uganda), it will be down to NRR.

mnelson68

Post by mnelson68 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:52 pm
mnelson68 wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:34 pm
secretzimbo wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:53 pm
Ya I'm not usually a fan of playing extra batters just for the sake of it (that old 8+3 thing we used to bang on about did my head in) but in these conditions absolutely warranted.

Potentially go with this?

1 Marumani
2 Kaia
3 Ervine
4 Williams
5 Raza
6 Burl
7 Madhevere
8 Madande
9 Jongwe
10 Ngarava
11 Blessing
Finally coming around to my way of thinking at last , Welch for Marumani or Kaiai and I'm happy .
I’m definitely not, generally. But in this specific conditions and in this situation we need to be extra conservative and go with the extra bat.

It is however a defensive team selection for a team that is desperate. It is not a blueprint for an ambitious team going forwards.
If the squad had a world class spinner you play him in any format but that's not the case. Much better off using Burl , Williams , Raza and Wes who can achieve the same result plus add depth to the batting. Its smart not defensive , playing Wellington is a waste of time.

CalZim
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by CalZim »

Great batting performance from Kenya, Obuya was class!

Tanzania have been dissapointing so far this competition, they have been much better than this over the past couple of years, I hope they can find some form ahead of the Challenge league playoff, it would be great to have another African side in the challenge league.

Crastle_cog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Crastle_cog »

Gerard Mwendwa is quick :shock:

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

mnelson68 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:57 am
secretzimbo wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:52 pm
mnelson68 wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:34 pm

Finally coming around to my way of thinking at last , Welch for Marumani or Kaiai and I'm happy .
I’m definitely not, generally. But in this specific conditions and in this situation we need to be extra conservative and go with the extra bat.

It is however a defensive team selection for a team that is desperate. It is not a blueprint for an ambitious team going forwards.
If the squad had a world class spinner you play him in any format but that's not the case. Much better off using Burl , Williams , Raza and Wes who can achieve the same result plus add depth to the batting. Its smart not defensive , playing Wellington is a waste of time.
This is exactly how I see it and have always seen it.
Pads depth in our lineup and Wellington really is on par with Raza and willo. Even Wes not far behind.
All off spinners are the same really unless you’re a Nathan Lyon, Swann, Ashwin who just has that extra level of torque.
Wellington is not that. He’s in the boat of the other 90% of spinners we see.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

I don’t really see an issue with this:
Blessing x 4
Ngarava x 4
Raza x 4
Williams x 4
Wes x 2
Burl x 2

If someone like Burl is having a good day can easily make him 4 or eat at one of the other spinners allotment
This gives 9 batters
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Crastle_cog

Post by Crastle_cog »

I loved it back in 2017-18 when you'd have cremer come in at 9, feel like the longer batting lineup works better for us.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

The strategy of a team well and truly entrenched at around 10-12th in the rankings with no confidence and no ambition to improve.

Actually in T20 there is an argument for it, absolutely. But not in other formats. The team selection of losers.

mnelson68

Post by mnelson68 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:28 pm
The strategy of a team well and truly entrenched at around 10-12th in the rankings with no confidence and no ambition to improve.

Actually in T20 there is an argument for it, absolutely. But not in other formats. The team selection of losers.
The bowling is a massive weakness and doesn't justify playing 4 bowlers. This is why you end up with players like Mumba in the side it's stupidity. When you have 4 all-rounders that bowl spin then unless you have a world class option as a spinner there is just no point picking one.

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

Na, no need for Wellington in this format. Can get 12-16 overs of spin without him and play the extra batter.