Raza new T20I Captain

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Raza new T20I Captain

Post by Googly »

Taps/Secret-
If David Mutendira was always convenor of selectors, who were the others who've now been replaced by DH and EC?
What role does a convenor have exactly?
I thought he would have a casting vote in the event of a dead lock, but with only 3 selectors that's not going to happen.
We will soon see if this is an unbiased and uninfluenced selection panel based on this next squad. There's a very obvious and necessary omission that will tell a story.

Selections are a dirty business. I was once eavesdropping on some selectors and heard them trading- ok I'll give you this guy, if you allow that guy. One selector was withholding selection of a good player as leverage to get in his shit player. It was age group stuff and the sad kretins always have to jam the team with shit players from their school so the halfwitted headmaster thinks the guy is a good coach, I dunno how some of them sleep at night. Its not a new thing, it's happened since cricket was invented. I could never pick a lesser player over a better one, even with a gun to my head.

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

Wasn't Gavin Ewing on the selection committee?

Googly

Post by Googly »

Aah yes I think he was. One other?

Googly

Post by Googly »

Giving Raza captaincy also guarantees he'll be available for all the games.

Mr Twig

Post by Mr Twig »

Googly wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:54 am
Aah yes I think he was. One other?
Prosper Utseya

Googly

Post by Googly »

Assuming selectors don't get paid, why not just include Dave and Elton?

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Shepherd was a selector until his death. Along with Prosper and Ewing

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Googly wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:09 am

Selections are a dirty business. I was once eavesdropping on some selectors and heard them trading- ok I'll give you this guy, if you allow that guy. One selector was withholding selection of a good player as leverage to get in his shit player. It was age group stuff and the sad kretins always have to jam the team with shit players from their school so the halfwitted headmaster thinks the guy is a good coach, I dunno how some of them sleep at night. Its not a new thing, it's happened since cricket was invented. I could never pick a lesser player over a better one, even with a gun to my head.
Well….one of the new u19 selectors is the Wise Owl head coach, who are as a school known for their dirty tricks and their age cheating within the cricket team. So that will be….interesting.

21 year old Tashinga Makoni is still playing school games for them so I wouldn’t be surprised if he turns up in the u19s again :lol:

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Googly wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:26 am
Giving Raza captaincy also guarantees he'll be available for all the games.
Also means Ervine can be dropped. That actually the direction that this is going. Not a bad move if you ask me

Googly

Post by Googly »

Craig had a really poor Namibia series. Went out most times before he even had a chance to get going. That happens.
But his approach is conservative, he likes to have a look first and it's ingrained. On top of that we usually lose cheap wickets and then he naturally slips into a bit of an anchor role, which he likes and which he's very good at.
He can play some sublime shots and then will often inexplicably dead bat a couple.
He's often made bowling changes that are hard to fathom, and his default bowler is Chatara at the most critical time.
It's a bold move sidelining him because he's a great player and who replaces him? It feels like the end of an era.
He's a great servant for our cricket and has been through some really tough failures which would be a bit more palatable with more up sides, which our cricket has been very short of.

Raza will now always give himself his 4 overs every time (unless he reads this :lol:) and he's been expensive of late.
In that last game it took him a while to realise he'd be more effective if he took pace off, which surprised me.
He'll be looking to do unorthodox stuff because thats his nature, I guess. If he can separate a compulsion from a good decision he might be ok.

The ZC "sweeping changes" (if they actually said that) has been mere reshuffling. The two big things have been putting DH officially on the selection panel where he will not necessarily get his way and making Raza T20 captain, potentially ending Craig's T20 career. That's not a given either, he may still be in the team, that remains to be seen.

The real sweeping change will be pressing the button on the Money Pit. I'm dreading the massive repercussions of the worst decision they're ever going to make. Huge profits for someone and financial ruin for cricket just when there's a bit of light. We need age group cricket, an academy or three, better club grounds, better club facilities, water, better franchise salaries, cheaper kit, player sponsorship, more T20, some T10, better management, corporate sponsorship, less top management, fewer boards and committees and yes men, better cricket balls, less back to back games, better umpires, more lights, some Merlins, some indoor facilities, etc etc etc.
They could even look at Cartwright, Muyeye and Byrom and dare I say Knackerville.
They want a squad that can compete favourably some of the time, but we don't have the players unless someone plays a blinder. They need some out of the box thinking that costs money that is now going to be channelled into Elephant Hills Hotel. The warning bell has to be being left in the dust by Afghanistan, Netherlands and now Namibia being at least abreast of us. We might be showing signs of improvement, but if everyone else is improving faster, we're still effectively going backwards. We live on an isolated island where we have such little exposure that they can't see we're being left further behind every year. Cmon gents.