UK PLayers in Zim?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
PieChucker
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

UK PLayers in Zim?

Post by PieChucker »

I notice that there are a couple of UK players who have made appearances in the Logan Cup and other domestic competitions? How does this work? Does anyone have a working knowledge of how this is arranged.
My reason for asking is there is a youngster who was born in Zim, currently playing at the Loughborough Academy and doing very well, he is interested in playing in Zim but doesn't know how to go about it.
Any suggestions of who he could approach?

Pat_Bee

Re: UK PLayers in Zim?

Post by Pat_Bee »

Tell him to PM old Knackers, he knows the gen.

Googly

Post by Googly »

PieChucker wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:44 pm
I notice that there are a couple of UK players who have made appearances in the Logan Cup and other domestic competitions? How does this work? Does anyone have a working knowledge of how this is arranged.
My reason for asking is there is a youngster who was born in Zim, currently playing at the Loughborough Academy and doing very well, he is interested in playing in Zim but doesn't know how to go about it.
Any suggestions of who he could approach?
Naqvi Offshore Recruitment Centre
I don't think it will be easy now that the season has started. I think you approach the coaches of the various franchises?

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

The U.K.-based Zimbos currently playing in Zim/recently returned to Zim being Nick Welch, Dane and Jayden Schadendorf and Ben Curran. The first three grew up and played a lot of cricket here before going to the U.K., and Curran obviously has family links, so they will all have many contacts here.

Who’s the lad at Loughborough? He’s probably missed the boat for this season in all honesty as the season is underway.

If he’s not a known name then he will probably have to start out trying to play some club cricket here and do the hard yards, either in the Harare league or eventually the NPL club league although that has finished for the year. Then you perform well, lick a few boots and behave yourself and you might be allowed to train with a franchise (first class) squad and get noticed.

If his intention is to try and play professionally in the U.K. then he needs to be wary of playing First Class cricket here. Effectively you have to play as an ‘Overseas’ here to not impact your county eligibility in the U.K. E.g. Dane is currently
Playing here as an Overseas.
He’s have to be pretty good (or willing to make a Naqvi style donation :lol: ) to play as on overseas here!

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Alistair Frost is a very recent Loughborough graduate, I believe? He played a couple of games in Zim last year (although he’s now trying to play for Ireland).

He may be able to help a fellow Loughborough player out with some contacts.

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

Why don’t the Loughborough staff know the score already? You’d think they’d have connections or knowledge at least.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Russell Cobb is their coach. He'd know where Zimbabwe was if there was a map of Zim on the wine bottle he was drinking.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Pat_Bee wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:49 pm
Why don’t the Loughborough staff know the score already? You’d think they’d have connections or knowledge at least.
I’m pretty sure someone in the Loughborough setup would know Houghton’s phone number.

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

Exactly, Dave for sure you’d think. Stevo. Anyone. They’re well known figures on the English cricket circuit. Loughborough is massive too, not like some random village side asking the question.

So instead they ask on here where every thread descends into a conversation about Knackerville and nothing is taken seriously.

mnelson68

Post by mnelson68 »

Pat_Bee wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:12 pm
Tell him to PM old Knackers, he knows the gen.
Seriously change the record it's becoming a joke