Changed squad for Namibia and India tour announced

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Detective RDS

Changed squad for Namibia and India tour announced

Post by Detective RDS »

Link: http://www.zimcricket.org/faithwear/ind ... icleid=631

Zimbabwe teams for tour announced

FRESH from the successful domestic inter provincial tournament, Faithwear Series 2009, Zimbabwe senior national team and Zimbabwe A fly out Tuesday for Indian and Namibian tours respectively.
Zimbabwe national team captained by Prosper Utseya are headed for Cuttack just outside Mumbai to take part in the Deodhar Trophy tournament that runs until March 18 at which they will play South Zone and West Zone teams on March 14 and 16 respectively. The final is set for Wednesday week before returning home.

The 14-member squad coached by Walter Chawaguta with the assistance of Doug Hondo will miss the services of former captain Tatenda Taibu dropped from the side with prospective Zimbabwe A captain Regis Chakabva called to replace him on this Indian tour.

National team manager Givemore Makoni told the website that Taibu was dropped from the side because he does not have his playing kit. ?You are aware that Taibu left his kit in Bangladeshi during the tour last year and I am actually going to India via Dhaka to collect that kit before I join the boys in for tournament which is next door neighbour to India,? he said

Zimbabwe A coach Steven Mangongo revealed that he is sad to lose his top order batsman Chakabva to the senior team but is confident that his side will do well in Namibia during the tour that runs from Tuesday to Monday week in Windhoek.

?I would have loved to have Regis (Chakabva) in the side. In fact I have been grooming him for captaincy and this latest development, while it is not a bad one, pegged us back a bit in our efforts to build a strong Zim A team.

?However, we wish him well with the senior team and we believe he is a good player and needs such tours to develop as a player,? Mangongo told the website.

But Zimbabwe A remains strong with selection options still wide. They can rely on the services of returnees Charles Coventry, imperious in the just ended Faithwear series and Mark Vermuelen. Shingi Masakadza, Eric Chauluka and Tafadzwa Kamungozi are real faces of the side who give them identity and strength and Mangongo is happy for that.

Mangongo also revealed that Richmond Mutumbami, who had a good Faithwear series, was called up as replacement for Chakabva in the team. But it is the absence of Taibu who struggled during the series in which he failed to put a double figure score in the four matches he played for Northerns. Zimbabwe A

Zimbabwe A ? Eric Chauluka, Mark Vermuelen, Richmond Mutumbami, Mbekezeli Mabuza, Bothwell Chapungu, Charles Coventry, Shingi Masakadza, Trevor Garwe, Admire Manyumwa, Timycen Maruma, Tafadzwa Kamungozi, Nathan Mushangwe, Tendai Chisoro, Cephas Zhuwawo

Zimbabwe National team ? Malcom Waller, Foster Mutizwa (wk), Stuart Matsikenyeri, Hamilton Masakadza, Chamunorwa Chibhabha, Elton Chigumbura, Prosper Utseya (capt), Keith Dabengwa, Graeme Cremer, Tawanda Mupariwa, Edward Rainsford, Christopher Mpofu, Regis Chakabva, Raymond Price

andrewn9

Re: Changed squad for Namibia and India tour announced

Post by andrewn9 »

I see Sean Williams has vanished into the ether :roll: .

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

Things to note for:

ZIMBABWEAN NATIONAL SIDE:

1.Previous squad was of 15 players and the new squad consists of 14 players.

2.Tatenda Taibu,Sean Williams and Vusimuzi Sibanda isnt in the squad.The reason of Taibu's non appearance is told that he will not play as his kit bag is in Bangladesh :o

No reason shown about Williams and Sibanda.I guess the omission of Sibanda is for out of form.And Zimfan1 is right about Sean Williams future.

3.Regis Chakabva and Justice Chibhabha is named in the squad.Good selection.

ZIMBABWEAN 'A' SIDE:

1.Regis Chakabva is out of squad as he is called for the national side.

2.Inform batsman in Faithwear series Richmond Mutumbami will replace Chakabva.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Looks like zimfan1 was on the money about Sean Williams. We have a good number 3 replacement in Chamu Chibhabha, at least for the time being anyway.

Not surprising to see that Vusi Sibanda was dropped, but naturally Dabengwa remains invincible.

As for Taibu, while the official stance is that his kit is still missing (he must have an emergency kit for use in domestic games only ;)) we also know that he has that lawsuit hanging over his head as well as a run of shocking form which has extended for a few months now.

While the 14 man squad isn't the strongest we could put together, I don't think it's too bad. Start to ease Vermeulen, Coventry and Maruma in over the coming months and we will be in a good position. I think Vermeulen is a better player than Williams anyway, even though Williams hasn't had the chance Vermeulen has proven himself at Test level which counts for a lot.

zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by zimfan1 »

sibanda is in Australia along with Taylor and hopefully they will be back in the country for the India tour in June and the Logan cup in April

looks like this is the end for Sean Williams to me i cant see the selectors accepting him back again after another defection

not a bad squad i expect Coventry to be pushing hard for a place in the future maybe Waller is a little fortunate to be on the tour

by a look at the squad looks like we will be playing all three spinners

aydee

Post by aydee »

I guess it's no real surprise that Williams is not there after all. This is the third or forth time he has defected now, and I doubt he has a future with Zim (sadly). Sibanda's unexplained non-appearance and Taibu's strange one are also worrying.

As for the replacements, Chibhabha well deserves his call up, although Chakabva hasn't been in the best form for the last few months. Mutumbami was imprssive in the Faithwear, and deserves his slot in the A-team...

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

I would have picked Charles Coventry for the India tour.He is the leading run scorer of Faithwear Cup.On the contrary,Regis Chakabva isnt in the best of form.

I think, the thing goes like this if Coventry is out of 'A' side then it minuses much batting depth of 'A' side which can be turned into defeat by Namibia as it's said that they are pretty good side.

Coventry will surely be selected for the national side to play against India in June.Chakabva is a talented player and young too with a good FC record.I think he is selected also for getting the Academy facilities which will increase his cricket skills and prepare him better for international cricket although he did appear in this format already.