Zimbabwe Vs Namibia | ICC T20 Qualifier | 22 November 2023

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sam_ahm

Re: Zimbabwe Vs Namibia | ICC T20 Qualifier | 22 November 2023

Post by sam_ahm »

Nick Welch hasn't done himself any good in this tournament. Could have finished with a not out today but couldn't even do that.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ya hasn't done himself any favors. I fear a stint in domestic is coming his way.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Zimbabwe win comfortably but it hardly matters. All eyes now on Kenya v Uganda game... If only Kenya were as good as they were back in 90s and early 00s.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Googly wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:09 am
There would be absolutely no harm in seeing if Flower would be available for a short consultancy stint. Maybe he'd ruffle some feathers, but does that matter?

There's no way Dave's job should be on the line. It would be a typical knee jerk reaction to divert attention from the real problems which are top heavy incompetent administrators that don't know how to improve domestic cricket.
I've heard good things about Matsi. We've had plenty of batting coaches over the years and nobody has made a noticeable difference. Why should he be the sacrificial lamb?

The immediate "fix" and there are absolutely no guarantees, none whatsoever, are a couple of imports.
Theyre not going to be better than Williams or Ervine, I'll put my cock on a block about that. They're good players.
Maybe they have taken their foot off the pedal a bit, I don't know, but I do know they're not being replaced by anyone from within. There are a couple of other players that would be under pressure soon enough from guys like Bennett and Welch Jr (if he ever gets a clean run at a domestic season- another year down and we'll have to see how he goes next year, that's gross mismanagement right there!)

We need those "imports" in our system at whatever level. Having 14 decent players and the rest of our domestic system as mere window dressing is the very reason we're having this conversation. It's been the modus operandi for years to have some spare cash for houses, cars, trips, etc etc. We need better players and administrators throughout.
Bennett, Welch and Campbell are almost certainly going to be in the mix now if Zimbabwe don't even qualify for the T20 WC. All three of them are whites, I so dearly hope that doesn't come in the way of their selection.