Zimbabwe Over 40s World Cup Squad

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Zimbabwe Over 40s World Cup Squad

Post by zimfan1 »

Two former Test cricketers have been included in Zimbabwe Over-40’s squad for this month’s Africa Cup in Pretoria.

Zimbabwe Over-40 will be captained by former Test and ODI all-rounder Doug Marillier. He is joined by fellow former Zimbabwe Test and ODI all-rounder Gavin Rennie in the 14-man squad.

Former first-class cricketers Steven Trenchard, Ryan Butterworth, Robertson Chinyengetere, Matthew Townshend and Bertie Erasmus have also been selected.

Ex-Test cricketers Travis Friend, Trevor Gripper, Dirk Viljoen and Stuart Matsikenyere have been named among Zimbabwe Over-40’s non-travelling reserves.

“It is with great pleasure that I announce the names of the players selected for the Zimbabwe Over-40 team,” said Zimbabwe Masters Cricket Association president Greg McDonald. “The tournament will run from 27 November to 1 December 2023 at Irene Country Club in Pretoria.”

Get Club Cricket SA news on Whatsapp

The four-team Africa Cup, which also includes South Africa Over-40, South Africa Over-40 Invitational and Namibia Over-40, will be followed by next year’s inaugural Over-40 World Cup.

“This is not the final team for the Over-40 World Cup next year – it is made up of all players currently available and based in Zimbabwe and South Africa,” added McDonald.

Zimbabwe have been pooled with England, Australia, United States of America, Namibia and Canada for the Over-40 World Cup in South Africa.

Zimbabwe Over-40 squad for Africa Cup
Doug Marillier (captain)
Arch Harley
Austin Corken
Sean Bell
Gavin Rennie
Raymond Buchanan
Steven Trenchard
Ryan Butterworth
Robertson Chinyengetere
Matthew Townshend
Bertie Erasmus
Mark Ferrao
Matthew Hossack
Marc Nicolle
Non-travelling reserves
Rakesh Parmar
Simon Seager
Trevor Gripper
Travis Friend
Stuart Matsikenyere
Kingsley Went
Neil Ferreira
Dirk Viljoen

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Zimbabwe Over 40s World Cup Squad

Post by eugene »

I was always hoping Steven Trenchard would crack the Zimbabwe lineup, he came close at one point.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

Mad to think the big three are only a couple of years away from being eligible for this squad yo. Especially Raz Dawg in the form of his life aged 37.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Worth noting this is the first generation where we can see a nigga in the 40s team.
Hammy, Olonga, Matsi, Nkala and Taibu are the only ones I can think of that qualify and 2 of those are pre occupied.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Nah there are dozens more black players in their 40's now. Literally loads

Douggie Hondo, Blessing Mahwire, Mutendera, Brighton Watambwa, Allan Mwayenga, Waddy Mwayenga, the Matambanadzo brothers, Keith Dabengwa, Norman Mukindiwa, Pommie of course! Nobbie Manyande. Eric Chauluka, Johnson Marumisa, Chinyoka, Mahachi, Ali Maregwede, there were even a few from Gweru who played First Class for Midlands and would be in their 40's now - Luther Mutyambizi, Amos Maungwa, Chambira etc.

Even Vusi is 40 now!

That's just off the top of my head. There will be at least another dozen or so guys who played a few first class games who are in their 40's now.

Almost none of the black guys still play though. Quite a few of them coach, but not play. Robbo Chinyengetere in the squad still plays Vigne cup and scores quite a few runs in that. Most of the white guys in the squad play the winter boozers league regularly.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:12 am
Nah there are dozens more black players in their 40's now. Literally loads

Douggie Hondo, Blessing Mahwire, Mutendera, Brighton Watambwa, Allan Mwayenga, Waddy Mwayenga, the Matambanadzo brothers, Keith Dabengwa, Norman Mukindiwa, Pommie of course! Nobbie Manyande. Eric Chauluka, Johnson Marumisa, Chinyoka, Mahachi, Ali Maregwede, there were even a few from Gweru who played First Class for Midlands and would be in their 40's now - Luther Mutyambizi, Amos Maungwa, Chambira etc.

Even Vusi is 40 now!

That's just off the top of my head. There will be at least another dozen or so guys who played a few first class games who are in their 40's now.

Almost none of the black guys still play though. Quite a few of them coach, but not play. Robbo Chinyengetere in the squad still plays Vigne cup and scores quite a few runs in that. Most of the white guys in the squad play the winter boozers league regularly.
Ok yes I stand corrected.
Although in my mind I was thinking of the ones that had a good run internationally. Not the Logan cup players who had one or two shots.
A part of the overall point still stands though. Almost all those players have only just turned 40 the last 1/2 years.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Also I noticed that Robertson seems to really get on with the white guys.
Was part of the coup, in this squad, was part of the white boozed league. He seems fully accepted into the community.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

He's a really good guy. Runs Rainbow I think.?

Absolutely hates Makoni in particular

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

Am I right in thinking he is a lawyer?

jw2

Post by jw2 »

eugene wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:30 pm
I was always hoping Steven Trenchard would crack the Zimbabwe lineup, he came close at one point.
Dave Houghton told me he lacked real commitment.