Zimbabwe Vs Uganda | ICC T20 Qualifier | 26 November 2023

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Kriterion_BD

Re: Zimbabwe Vs Uganda | ICC T20 Qualifier | 26 November 2023

Post by Kriterion_BD »

eugene wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:31 am
The hope with guys returning from overseas such as Nick Welch is that they have already received an elite level of coaching in the UK, Australia, New Zealand, etc. Perhaps they haven't?
I don't think the coaching is the issue. Rajput had success with Afghanistan I think it was...failed with Zimbabwe. Whatmore had success with Bangladesh...failed with Zimbabwe. Houghton seemed to buck that trend, but overall you'd have to say he's failed as well in the grand scheme of things failing to qualify for 2 out of 3 world cups.

It may not be the level of coaching and might be the lack of talent/skill in the players.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

It does seem as though the talent simply isn't there.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

I will keep saying this. Its all in the mind. When there was a bit of self belief and momentum they were knocking over teams regularly. They beat this Australian team at full strength in home conditions. On paper they are better than Namibia and Uganda.

Once you have a core group of players who are used to failing at the last hurdle it will keep happening. This is not unique to Zimbabwe cricket. Anyone who watches football will tell you there are multiple teams like that.

How did they change this? Usually its by getting rid of the core players no matter how good they are and bringing new talent mixed with some older seasoned campaigners. They don't even have to be as good as the previous guys but it sets you on a different path mentally. It's the only way forward.

Personally for me this is why losing Ballance really set us back. More than most people realise. I'm telling you if we had for example Ballance, Cartwright, Welch and Byrom. You would have forgotten about Ervine and co by now.

These kids need mentorship from people who don't like losing. Welch must be feeling like he walked into hell by mistake.

The guys in the offices will get concerned very soon and start offering huge amounts of money to players out there.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

There was a time I remember Panyangara was sent home after sharing videos with squad of some Mitchell Johnson rockets before a series. He comes from that very same generation.

BT might be the only person out of them who 100% believed in his ability.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

I totally agree with Taps. I think there is still little things that need fixing, but the metal side is definitely a big one. I'll always remember after we beat Aus in the T20 WC in South Africa, and Taylor in his interview was professional and focussed, Hammy was all about partying and having a good time, even though we were due to play England the next day.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

TapsC2 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:50 am
There was a time I remember Panyangara was sent home after sharing videos with squad of some Mitchell Johnson rockets before a series. He comes from that very same generation.

BT might be the only person out of them who 100% believed in his ability.
I still remember Cremer, Coventry and a couple of other players rob each other about having to face Shaun Tait and I think Brett Lee in the 2011 (I think it was?) word cup on Facebook.
Guess it’s the same thing.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*