Zimbabwe Vs Uganda | ICC T20 Qualifier | 26 November 2023

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Mr Twig

Re: Zimbabwe Vs Uganda | ICC T20 Qualifier | 26 November 2023

Post by Mr Twig »

Pat_Bee wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:53 pm
Don’t worry chaps, young Naqvi will be qualified next time round and the answer to all our prayers.
He’s about our only hope these days. There’s literally no one else coming through the domestic system. Not 1 should be anywhere near international cricket except this guy.

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

sixes fan wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:51 pm

Ohh i get you, i usually skip all those comments 99% are Indians, Pakistanis etc. I share their enthusiasm for ZC to succeed though 😂😂
The local Zim boys are the worst culprits :lol:

sixes fan

Post by sixes fan »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:48 pm
sixes fan wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:11 pm
We already have Bennet, Muyeye, Myers, Frost, Booth, Bawa, Roche, Matigimu, Schanderndoffs, Munyonga, MattWelch etc all very capable players
Muyeye is a literal refugee in England. More chance of me playing for Zimbabwe.
Myers and Bawa are at university overseas and playing very little to no cricket of note/high standard.
Frost is Irish.
Booth?!?!
Roche hasn't been seen for years.
Same for Matigimu. Playing at no serious level.
One of the Schadendorf's is under contract elsewhere and the other one has only played a couple of professional matches in his life.

Can we at least be realistic with suggestions and posts?
All suggestions, Mugava was a runaway in England but he is back on the domestic scene. He knows he has less than a percent chance at making it into the English team at least try throwing money at him.
Yes I understand the situation with Bawa and Myers and it’s only because there is nothing serious for them here on the ground that is why i say invest heavy into them, they can even have partnerships with their universities which will allow them to play games here.
Frost is Irish so is Ervine, PJ Moor and your Welchs. There are actually two Frosts all very capable players.
Booth is a very good young seamer and was playing in SA, lost track of him like a year or 2 ago.
Roche is playing in NZ hoping to qualify for the Black Caps.
The Schanderdoffs problem is exactly the kinds i refer to as we need them playing regular competitive cricket but we are investing in Remembrance Nyathi.
No one there is out of reach with proper will and investing. Just need ZC to make the hard yards and like i said some will work some won’t and it’s something to build for the future.

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

Muyeye is practically on the ECB’s books yo. Would be harder yards than a quick single when the ball hasn’t even cleared the pitch never mind the square.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Even if any of the names above were actually available, you are assuming they are going to be as good as the likes of Ervine, Williams and Raza. it's highly unlikely - they are three great cricketers and look where we are and what we've achieved even with them.

Lots of other nations behind us are improving and progressing. For us to actually tread water let alone actually improve and move up the world rankings we need to find players SIGNIFICANTLY better than the players we have had in recent years.

Sorry but most of the names you mention are unlikely to be significantly better.

It's the sad reality. I understand why you and other fans think like this because we are all desperate to cling on to something and pretend there is some great hope awaiting us. But there isn't. The cupboards are mostly bare and the few things still knocking about in the cupboards are all good players but are unlikely to suddenly become world beaters overnight. No matter how much money you throw at them.

What is actually happening is that we are now paying the price for 20 years of failure, 20 years of mismanagement, 20 years of underfunding, 20 years of destruction of grassroots, club and schools cricket, and 20 years of no ambition and no plan.

And you can't fix it overnight, even if you throw money at some random players.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Also people are quick to throw names out there and laugh at some of our domestic players (I've been guilty at times too), even though they have nothing to do with the failure of recent weeks. People criticising Roy Kaia, Tsiga, Mutombodzi specifically on this thread. They are all talented players and good guys, experienced pros who have played professionally in the UK, Aus, and here for many years. None of these guys are bad cricketers. Also none of them really have anything to do with this national squad underperforming. Not everyone in the system has to be an international player. They are good pros who mostly add to the domestic game and do well at that level.

sixes fan

Post by sixes fan »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:08 pm
Even if any of the names above were actually available, you are assuming they are going to be as good as the likes of Ervine, Williams and Raza. it's highly unlikely - they are three great cricketers and look where we are and what we've achieved even with them.

Lots of other nations behind us are improving and progressing. For us to actually tread water let alone actually improve and move up the world rankings we need to find players SIGNIFICANTLY better than the players we have had in recent years.

Sorry but most of the names you mention are unlikely to be significantly better.

It's the sad reality. I understand why you and other fans think like this because we are all desperate to cling on to something and pretend there is some great hope awaiting us. But there isn't. The cupboards are mostly bare and the few things still knocking about in the cupboards are all good players but are unlikely to suddenly become world beaters overnight. No matter how much money you throw at them.

What is actually happening is that we are now paying the price for 20 years of failure, 20 years of mismanagement, 20 years of underfunding, 20 years of destruction of grassroots, club and schools cricket, and 20 years of no ambition and no plan.

And you can't fix it overnight, even if you throw money at some random players.

Maybe you just didn’t understand me, I am very much in agreement with you if you read all my posts. I did state optimism is at 0.00. We can’t fix it and we won’t be able to soon. What i did then add was if we are to react then this is probably our way out “ for the future” otherwise we are already facing a “ former cricketing nation “ status. The immediate remedy is also to throw money to any decent cricketer outside the domestic scene because we have nothing in the cupboard. This is not to say we will be world beaters only to try put some decency whilst a viable plan for the future is drawn.

sixes fan

Post by sixes fan »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:12 pm
Also people are quick to throw names out there and laugh at some of our domestic players (I've been guilty at times too), even though they have nothing to do with the failure of recent weeks. People criticising Roy Kaia, Tsiga, Mutombodzi specifically on this thread. They are all talented players and good guys, experienced pros who have played professionally in the UK, Aus, and here for many years. None of these guys are bad cricketers. Also none of them really have anything to do with this national squad underperforming. Not everyone in the system has to be an international player. They are good pros who mostly add to the domestic game and do well at that level.

Fyi I went to school with Roy Kaia,Mugava, Mutombodzi, Jaure etc all very good guys and were brilliant players. The system let them down. Criticizing doesn’t mean we are against them the reality is we can’t hold on to what they were capable to do. We are looking at remedies and calling them to a Zim Emerging series squad is what we are calling out.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Yeah I understand you. It's been a long old day :cry:

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

For all the talk of bringing guys back who have disappeared off overseas, do we have any track record of these people succeeding? Ballance was clearly good and would have been our best batsmen, but he didn't stick around. Nick Welch has hardly set things alight and doesn't look like he'll be much more reliable than any of our other opening options.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes