Kenya Vs Uganda wc qualifier. 2023 Do or Die for Zim

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Kenya Vs Uganda wc qualifier. 2023 Do or Die for Zim

Post by Googly »

Hope you're right about not losing membership.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Googly wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:03 pm
Hope you're right about not losing membership.
I think TM has gotten the politics right so far so we not in danger

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

What might also save us is a huge diaspora population. All those issues in our school system. We will see kids with Zim parents being raised in competent environments. Not all of them will be good enough for their adopted nations.

Even if we look at it now. I think Wes, Madande, Taruvinga plus a couple of the tuskers boys finished high school in SA. The younger Mupariwa I think.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Ya but the above were all on scholarships. Not really diaspora/immigrants.

Last time I was in the U.K. over the winter it was kind of amazing how many Zimbabweans were around, literally everywhere. Seem to be running their entire health and care systems. The trouble being though that 99% of pro cricketers in the U.K. come from private schools. Doubt any children of care workers are at private schools :lol:

So I think you might be clutching at straws hoping for that.

Much more realistic would be continued improvements to club cricket, much more school cricket, age group cricket and tours (STOP waiting until U19 to put any effort in ffs), a national academy, and some sort of actual high performance plan developed by actual experts who know what they are doing?

But they’d rather waste $20m on a stadium in Vic Falls so tbh we are all wasting our time.

I said a few weeks ago that we were facing disaster on multiple fronts. The first - not qualifying for the World Cup - has arrived already. Let’s see which others come to fruition.

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

The boys bottled it in certainly the Uganda game, possibly the Namibia game. You could hear the panic in raz dawg’s voice doing his presser pre the Ugandan game. If a man of his standing and experience is so obviously shitting himself then what hope does anyone have.

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

You know something is fucked when you’re pinning all your hopes of qualifying on 42 year old Collins obuya who doesn’t even play for us :lol:

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

I guess we have 2027 to look forward to, probably our last World Cup in any format.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Donald

Post by Donald »

Selections were all wrong. Chatara should have been nowhere near that side. That cost us and to be honest the signs were there for all to see in the 50 over qualifiers about his long wane. With Evans being sidelined chivanga or chaitara/murumbo/Gwandu should have had a shot. They would do no worse and a replacement should have been groomed during the namibia tour.

Wellington is a great defensive bowler and good at building up pressure against big sides but these are associates. He is hardly threatening and the excellent mavuta should have been a shoe in. In fact he should play in every match going forward.

Madande will be a fine player in test and 50 0vers mark my words but a 20/20 dasher he is not. Was painful to see the dropped catches and him being hidden down the order.

Ervine is not a 20/20 player and needs to stick to 50 overs and test.

Only players that have come out of this world cup with reputations intact are raza ( batting not captaincy) ngarava and Muzurabani. The lack of penetration with our spin bowling and lack of third quality seamer really hurt.

mnelson68

Post by mnelson68 »

The preparation for this series wasn't great imo, I cannot believe you wouldn't play your squad on a rotation basis against Uganda in the warm up games considering they were going to be the biggest threat behind Namibia. Just smacks of a bit of arrogance to me , need to get a lot more professional otherwise these results will keep coming .

Googly

Post by Googly »

A bit more professional is an understatement.
You've got Hammy playing against Uganda and now playing cricket in India. Begs the question why he doesn't come out of retirement. He and Elton should open.
The close ties between Takashinga and Uganda are laughable. They went there on tour so they'll cite reciprocity.