Uganda Vs Rawanda | 30th November 2023| ICC T20 World Cup Africa qualifiers | Miracle needed

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Donald

Re: Uganda Vs Rawanda | 30th November 2023| ICC T20 World Cup Africa qualifiers | Miracle needed

Post by Donald »

So I think we need to move on from Chatara and Wellington

Extended time away for madande and madhevere certainly in 20/20.

tej_27

Re: Uganda Vs Rawanda | 30th November 2023| ICC T20 World Cup Africa qualifiers | Miracle needed

Post by tej_27 »

franco vazquez wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:29 am
Quite a muted reaction here tbh. I expected a much bigger reaction, esp from those who thought that missing WC wasn't a big thing bc of T10 and T20 WC coming but let me tell you that T10 is a fraud. Hardly any Zimbabwean player got a chance, Mpofu, Masakadza, Zhuwao all these retired uncles hogging the spots with usual suspects like Samit Patel, Hatzoglou etc playing in it. Like why the hell were players like Parthiv, Uthappa, Pathans, Sreesanth were playing in that league? Wasn't it for Zimbabwe cricket and players?
Reactions have already come after zim lost to Uganda that day . People are just tired speaking the same thing agai and again like a broken record

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

Ya it got heated after the Uganda game :lol:

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Relaxing a player back to the domestic scene just hurst them as it’s so soft and the players all know each other so don’t really learn to adapt.

There doesn’t need to be wholesale changes in our side.
What we need is two things.
A huge focus on the captaincy.
How many times have we complained about dumb on field decisions? This has cost us big time in hindsight. We need someoen wiyh very high cricket IQ. It needs to be a priority going forward. Whoever it is needs to be taught to think of match awareness and to think on their feet.

Selection can no longer be messed with. Selection is better but when we drop the ball, it always costs us.

Both my examples can be summed up in selecting and promoting Wellington to number 6 against Uganda.
Who’s idea was this?

His selection greatly harmed us and him coming at 6 directly killed us. He robbed us of a very important 10 more runs, that would probably have gotten us through

These things need tightening.
As well as the mental game.

If this was a game to qualify, we wouldn’t have piled on 217 against Kenya today. We would have treated them like the Australian test team and stumbled instead of wiping the floor with them.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Donald wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:31 am

Mate this is basic common sense.
Somewhere on this site I said after the failed CWC that chatara must be retired or he will cost us in a big tournament again and surprise surprise it happened.
Wellington should only come into the mix of Williams and Raza aren’t playing. Those two offer the same as what he does.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

sam_ahm wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:22 am
If this debacle, which will cause huge world wide embarrassment of a test playing nation not qualifying for a 20 team T20 WC, can help bring in some positive change then that is better than playing 4 games in that World Cup of which they would have lost 3 anyways, 2 of them by getting a thrashing.

Instead focus on positive change, those 4 games which will probably be played in about 10 days flat won't mean anything. Focus on the upcoming series' against Ireland and Sri Lanka, get some wins, improve your ICC rankings. There is a full tour of Bangladesh in March, prepare for that.

There is no point crying over spilt milk.
Bang on target. Couldn't agree more.

Only point of difference, a minor one in terms of what I want to convey, is that its not just about the 4 games. It was about millions of dollars and prestige factor (in this case the ignominy) of making or not making a World Cup.

I think it was fairly obvious around 2018 the latest that there were serious on-field result issues looming. I'd been calling it for years (so too were many others). We may very well have seen the end of all 3 of the Big 3. But the focus should be on moving forward. Its also worth mentioning that patience is key. Its unrealistic to expect significant improvements overnight. It may take a few years or even longer for Zimbabwe to come back to where they were. As said above, focus on the upcoming series. ZC should look to arrange series vs the A teams of Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, West Indies, and Afghanistan.

There will be tough days ahead but perseverance is critical.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:37 am
Donald wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:31 am

Mate this is basic common sense.
Somewhere on this site I said after the failed CWC that chatara must be retired or he will cost us in a big tournament again and surprise surprise it happened.
Wellington should only come into the mix of Williams and Raza aren’t playing. Those two offer the same as what he does.
I know you really hate him, possibly because of his name, but Masakadza is a significantly better bowler than Raza and Williams and I’m not sure why you can’t see this.
Particularly so in longer formats.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:43 am
sam_ahm wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:22 am
If this debacle, which will cause huge world wide embarrassment of a test playing nation not qualifying for a 20 team T20 WC, can help bring in some positive change then that is better than playing 4 games in that World Cup of which they would have lost 3 anyways, 2 of them by getting a thrashing.

Instead focus on positive change, those 4 games which will probably be played in about 10 days flat won't mean anything. Focus on the upcoming series' against Ireland and Sri Lanka, get some wins, improve your ICC rankings. There is a full tour of Bangladesh in March, prepare for that.

There is no point crying over spilt milk.
Bang on target. Couldn't agree more.

Only point of difference, a minor one in terms of what I want to convey, is that its not just about the 4 games. It was about millions of dollars and prestige factor (in this case the ignominy) of making or not making a World Cup.

I think it was fairly obvious around 2018 the latest that there were serious on-field result issues looming. I'd been calling it for years (so too were many others). We may very well have seen the end of all 3 of the Big 3. But the focus should be on moving forward. Its also worth mentioning that patience is key. Its unrealistic to expect significant improvements overnight. It may take a few years or even longer for Zimbabwe to come back to where they were. As said above, focus on the upcoming series. ZC should look to arrange series vs the A teams of Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, West Indies, and Afghanistan.

There will be tough days ahead but perseverance is critical.
Ya that's right Kriterion, obviously the money factor and embarrassment is there and that's good. Let these ZC people realize that unless you actually perform on field, you won't get so much money. So better do something about it.

There was no shame in losing out on 50 over WC as teams like West Indies, Ireland, Scotland, Oman, etc. all were missing out and they are good teams. The blame was more on ICC that they have made it a 10 team event. But this is actually shameful. Can't blame and cry over the ICC here.

Just turn things around. There is also an U19 WC in Jan, make sure that goes well, at least there will be hope about having good younger players and thr World will know that Zimbabwe are still there.

I know Afghanistan have been reluctant to play Zim as they probably see no value, but I've seen their FTP and it is equally shit... Convince them to play, improve relations with other boards, as you rightly said at least have some A tours in place.

Pakistan are going to tour next November, if you win against them the World takes notice because Pakistan are former World Champions... Prepare for it.

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

Raz Dawg’s interview :lol: :lol: will take a bullet for the team when guys are getting chopped.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Raza gave it his all, hia captaincy was poor but as a player he literally gave it his body and soul. Really feel for him. Surely a Zimbabwean great.