Match Thread: 3rd ODI Zim vs Ireland 17 Dec

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Match Thread: 3rd ODI Zim vs Ireland 17 Dec

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Pat_Bee wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:12 pm
If Dave’s time is up who would be the new coach? Brent’s a funny one. He probably deserves the gig. But he’s done wonders with the women. Would you take him away from that and disrupt them or wait and he might fail with them at the global qualifier.

Ya they screwed up with rajput giving him a contract without doing due diligence on the changing room opinion of him first.
Rajput was appointed for political reasons.
Brent’s success with girsl shouldnt be a hindrance to him getting the men’s job. Should be a tick for him, if you want him.

I’d be getting an Aussie in. Aussie teams tend to have mental strength. There would be enough coaches outside of the Sheffield Shield who would love it.Justin Langer?
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

We've had tough hard-guy coaches before and it hasn't worked. And now we've had a very relaxed, friendly coach who lets players do their own thing and that hasn't worked either.

Obviously we need someone new and fresh considering the state we are currently in. Hopefully they will give us a 'new manager' boost. But ultimately unless we appoint Jesus Christ himself :lol: then whoever comes in is unlikely to be a miracle worker and turn us into a world beating side when we have such vast structural and administrative issues at every level of the game and a very limited player pool. I keep saying it but it's the easy, lazy uninformed view to just say 'oh if we select X player we would win' or 'Oh get X guy as coach and all will be rosy' or 'Pick more white players and we'll be amazing'. The problems are so much deeper and no matter what random guy averaging 28 in the Logan Cup with 1 career century you pick; we'll still most probably be as shit as we are now.

Anyway, when is the women's global qualifier final? It wouldn't be a good look to move Brent before then I guess. I'm not sure if managing the women's team (and let's be honest they've done well but hardly world-beating) qualifies you to jump straight into the mens job, although I do like Gary, he's a proper bloke. And maybe there is a wish as always with ZC to keep it in the family rather than bringing a loud outsider in who might rock the boat too much.

It's paramount that whoever comes in lives here full-time. We can't have another Rajput situation. Even if we have long gaps between tours you need someone involved and interested in the system and around the domestic game like Dave has been.

For me the obvious choice would be to look to South Africa. After all we are only up the road, so it's not a huge commitment for those guys. They also have a head start on the culture and the many problems in this part of the world and aren't coming in cold. I don't really follow their cricket much so no idea who their blossoming coaches are, maybe they have some leading lights at domestic level who would jump at the chance to step up to international cricket?

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

secretzimbo wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:17 pm

Anyway, when is the women's global qualifier final? It wouldn't be a good look to move Brent before then I guess. I'm not sure if managing the women's team (and let's be honest they've done well but hardly world-beating) qualifies you to jump straight into the mens job, although I do like Gary, he's a proper bloke. And maybe there is a wish as always with ZC to keep it in the family rather than bringing a loud outsider in who might rock the boat too much.

Whoa what’s this ?! :lol: You’re not poaching Gary bro :lol: :lol:

Googly

Post by Googly »

Its not a given that GB would accept the post. He's now highly employable anywhere in Women's cricket on a good salary. Keeping him out of franchise cricket so he doesn't embarrass the other coaches by winning everything has backfired.
Hes been treated poorly by ZC over the years so he knows what's potentially in store. Any role in the men's set up you effectively have one hand tied behind your back and the clock starts ticking from day 1.
DH could have written his ticket anywhere a year ago but that Uganda loss I'd think has done him no favors.
One of the best jobs in Zim cricket is being a selector. Absolutely no consequences whatsoever for not getting to the WC or losing 20 in a row. Pressure free, zero accountability, some free travel, job security. Nobody can tell on you because nobody knows enough and the folk who'd receive the news don't know either.

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

He’s turned the lady chevrons into world beaters :lol: his stock is high, higher than taking some second rate men’s job where half the boys can’t even be bothered. He’d be stoopid to take the gig.

At least four of his side would walk straight into the men’s side if the ICC were more open to that kind of thing :lol:

The thing that sticks in the throat the most for these facey b fan bois is he’s done it all with no murungus in the side just genuine honest black talent. It’s good to see.