Logan Cup 20th Dec

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Logan Cup 20th Dec

Post by Googly »

No it can definitely get a lot worse, don't bring the evil eye :lol:
The death knell of our cricket is the Batonka Stadium. That's the end of the road. If they don't see a way out of this mess, and there currently isn't one without very necessary administrative changes which theyre not prepared to make, then thats the retirement plan.
Closely followed by the retirement of Williams, Ervine and possibly Raza if he thinks he can make an independent living from T10's and T20's. I think the first two are close to calling it a day.
They have done some good things of late, but its not close to enough.

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

Totally depressing you guys :lol: the future is not today’s problem yo.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Mate the future looks incredibly bleak though.
We desperately needed the positivity and momentum we had 12 months ago to continue unabated for several years. The fact we've had setbacks both on and off the pitch recently feels in a lot of ways a final nail.

If you really want me to be positive then it is that they haven't thrown the baby out with the bathwater over Dave. They've been respectful to him and want to keep him in the system, so at least that's something. The board aren't as publicly bitter and vindictive as they used to be (I'm sure they very much are behind closed doors, though).

As has been said there has been some good things done over the past 2 years but there is a real threat of the various current issues affecting us and setting us back further and limiting progress.

We are in need of some vast structural changes at almost every level or else we risk continuing to slide. There appears to be no coherent plan. Maybe Mr Mishi has all the answers? :lol:

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

Nah I hear you loud and clear bro.

We’ve always bounced back from setbacks though in the 25 years I’ve followed the game, I cling on to that :lol:

Dave is a pure window dressing exercise in my mind. Everyone likes him, but they needed to be looking to do something after the debacle at both qualifiers as is the way of the African chief. They’d be showing nobody who’s boss leaving him in his current position.

I’m also not convinced he lost the changing room per se, he may have “lost” a few guys with questionable moral fibre but any coach would if these guys are that way inclined anyway. It’s a convenient excuse for his resignation.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Right there is the first indication that this is not a serious attempt at anything. Lord Mishi and his merry band are not at the coal face. Its the job of the board and administration to ascertain the issues, that's their very job description and yet they've cobbled together a few non cricketing people to spend 3 weeks supposedly trying to figure out what has gone wrong and to make recommendations going forward?
It stinks to high heaven. An "independent" commission! C'mon!

What they need to be doing (if they were serious) is get some input from DH, AF, Kirby and whoever else has been part of a functioning system and saying "we need help here on how to make things better," They could also be asking players for their input, but of course they're too terrified to speak. They could give guys like Houghton and Vermuelen real power to manage things and make sure there are consequences for messing around.
Then of course they need to clean house. There are scoundrels that don't care about cricket, bone idle ne'er do wells that should be removed. You're not implementing meaningful changes with the same personnel that have been part of a corrupt, barely functioning system and have learnt to slip and slide their way around doing as little as possible. I'm not suggesting a clean slate, there aren't enough good people too anxious to get involved, but some final warnings and some real hands on administration to keep everyone working hard and pulling in the same direction.

mnelson68

Post by mnelson68 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:31 am
Donald wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:11 am
I think its time to dust of matty welch old under 19's visa and get him on a plane to sri lanka. At the very least he has played more domestic games than wes before his debut and seems very very good.
Considering it is going to be an utterly brutal tour on the pitch, and off the pitch as we can gather the environment is currently toxic, I'd say I definitely don't want the likes of Bennett or M Welch involved in this tour. Could do them more harm than good. Not a nice environment to introduce them to atm.

Hopefully things settle down, new coach etc, some positive changes, by the time the next international fixtures come along and then they'd have a shout.
They most definitely should be on the tour , nothing better than a challenge to get the best out of players. They need opportunity and it may well be the beginning of a fine career. You give them a good run at it , not just 1 or 2 games like Nick Welch got now look at him he's lost all confidence. It's not hard to pick the best 15 players to take on tour. Campbell and Nick should also be considered, it's time now to move on from Ervine and Wiliams if their heart is not in it anymore. I think missing the world cups has demoralised them.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Thank jehova you aren’t involved in the system.

Maybe you are, maybe that’s why we are in such a mess.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

mnelson68 wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:03 pm
secretzimbo wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:31 am
Donald wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:11 am
I think its time to dust of matty welch old under 19's visa and get him on a plane to sri lanka. At the very least he has played more domestic games than wes before his debut and seems very very good.
Considering it is going to be an utterly brutal tour on the pitch, and off the pitch as we can gather the environment is currently toxic, I'd say I definitely don't want the likes of Bennett or M Welch involved in this tour. Could do them more harm than good. Not a nice environment to introduce them to atm.

Hopefully things settle down, new coach etc, some positive changes, by the time the next international fixtures come along and then they'd have a shout.
They most definitely should be on the tour , nothing better than a challenge to get the best out of players. They need opportunity and it may well be the beginning of a fine career. You give them a good run at it , not just 1 or 2 games like Nick Welch got now look at him he's lost all confidence. It's not hard to pick the best 15 players to take on tour. Campbell and Nick should also be considered, it's time now to move on from Ervine and Wiliams if their heart is not in it anymore. I think missing the world cups has demoralised them.
A demoralised Williams and Ervine are still easily in our top 4 batsmen. Dropping them would be madness
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

And 50 year old BT will still be the best of the lot yo.

Donald

Post by Donald »

We need to build towards the 2026 20/20 and also the 2027 world cup. New players are needed. Let's keep an eye on the guys in the under 19 world cup next month and also peeps like matt welch Bennett and antum navqi