Another one bites the dust

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Another one bites the dust

Post by Googly »

https://x.com/markgottlieb/status/17378 ... O1lllZzkaA

Here's a bizarre incident. Tom Curran taking a 4 match ban for some very strange behaviour.

totoro
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by totoro »

Googly wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:50 am
https://x.com/markgottlieb/status/17378 ... O1lllZzkaA

Here's a bizarre incident. Tom Curran taking a 4 match ban for some very strange behaviour.
Really silly behaviour from Tom. :?

Googly

Post by Googly »

Our team is in tatters. It's going to be interesting how they handle this Wes/Brandon thing with the Sri Lanka tour around the corner. I know Wes has not had an easy time of it for other personal reasons so he's under immense pressure. Bear in mind he's a young guy thrust into the limelight, not performing, probably being slightly marginalised now and things are going upside down for him.
I don't know whether anyone at ZC has tried to help prior to this warning shot or not.
As a fact most our players will be suffering some form of PTSD of some sort or another. Constantly playing ridiculously high pressure games and clearly bottling it when it counts. They're also neck deep in the politics that clearly surround our national side as far as selections go.
They also know they're part of a permanent nucleus of players because there are few replacements and there's a prima donna attitude amongst a number of them as evidenced by their reluctance to play franchise cricket.
How you can go from hungry, humble and desperate to being a swinging dick in such a short space of time is a big part of the problem within our cricket.

It's not easy to be patriotic and being able to focus on cricket when there's a lot going on in the background and huge uncertainty amongst the team, largely due to underperfoming players and people meddling in stuff they know nothing about because there are always agendas.
The one thing I guarantee is that at no point will a new coach admit he's out of his depth. You can ask a Zimbabwean if he has knowledge on a space program and he'll pitch up the next day wearing a motor bike helmet ready for work. A week later he'll be making plans to steal the home made rocket and parts will be for sale in Mbare.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Personally I think it's outrageous that ZC have gone public on an in-house recreational charge. You solve that internally. Maybe they're trying to scare a couple of them who've had prior warnings, but publicly at this dire time just smacks of arrogant people not in touch with reality. It's just not how to go about it.
There's a third person who's on probably his first warning, they've at least kept his name out if it for now, but some twat will want to be first with "breaking news".

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

They also live in a country in economic shambles. Some of them are breadwinners at a very young age. Pressure to perform. They clearly need professional help to keep them mentally above the water. It's a lot of pressure. Lose that national contract and your whole clan is in trouble.

What is shocking to me is how quickly it fell apart. We need more gutsy guys. I saw Raza and Kirby were watching the Logan Cup game for a bit. That's what we need. Raza might need to work on his decision making but I know he will back all these guys to the end.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

About going public with it, I don’t know - is it really such a bad thing? They’ve turned a blind eye for years and I think it’s right to crack down on it. Ya it’s tough for the two boys but it’s their own stupidity.

The only thing they are right to feel aggrieved about is that the two of them have been targeted when it’s an open secret that at least a couple of others are regular drug users and seem to have been spared.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Taps is 100% correct. Guys from poor backgrounds suddenly the breadwinners and really not equipped to deal with a lot of stuff. Unless they actually have a level headed guy they look up to and advises them it can go pear shaped pretty fast. I've always maintained there should be a ZC program to give guys other skills, advise them what to do etc, but they're too busy looking after themselves. They're supposed to be custodians of our game, instead they treat it as their own private business, spend limited cash on the really important things, drive fancy cars etc, it's so wrong.
Bring back administrative guys that are not motivated by feathering their own nests.

Plus of course the money guys receive on central contracts doesn't get them even into the bottom tier of the leafy suburbs, it gets them 2 or three houses in the High density areas. You become somebody in nowhere land. That's the very problem our cricket faces. Our guys want to get central contracts to provide for their families and become somebody in their neighbourhood, once that goal is achieved they take their foot off the pedal. Beating India is secondary to having sorted some personal finances out and having some stability.
I saw a clip of zim guys training at home, all the white dudes had green lawn, tennis courts and places the first World takes for granted and the black dudes were doing their exercise on cement in what was clearly lower value areas.
The better off guys can focus on cricket, the less well off are wondering where the next buck is coming from and dealing with shite ZC payments, often not on time because they're over budget coz the Range Rover or 300 series cost 100k more than anticipated coz they couldn't dodge the duty. You need a clear head to compete at the highest level.

Raza and Kirby watching the Eagles game :lol:
Raza should be playing and not shouting words of encouragement from the sidelines. Kirby should be doing a session with the quicks who haven't bothered to play either.
Selectors were at home watching football, talent scouts were absent for the 10th straight year.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Guys is there any update on Madhevere and Mavuta? How long are they out for? Is there anything going on in terms of announcing the duration of their ban?

Googly

Post by Googly »

I'm sure it's a short one. A wrist slap.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Googly wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:42 am
I'm sure it's a short one. A wrist slap.
Can't say googly. I think the minimum here is 6 months, I remember Zubayr Hamza got a minor one and even then it was 9 months.