Mangongo return

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Mangongo return

Post by eugene »

https://www.hmetro.co.zw/is-mangongo-re ... -chevrons/

With drugs and strippers, perhaps it is time for the no-nonsense Mangongo to return? No one could ever doubt his passion at least.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Mangongo return

Post by secretzimbo »

This was published before they appointed Walter Chawaguta. So, no, I assume.

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

And also refers to the expected resignation of Dave; published a day after he did resign :lol:

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

No wonder the whole country has gone to the dogs when journalists can’t even master basic journalism.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Steve was spotted at the game yesterday. He has been coaching in SA and I'm sure is home for Xmas, but I'm thinking he's possibly being offered a role here somewhere.
I'm not a great believer in coincidences.

They might be thinking that somewhere in the system they need someone authoritarian in a coaching role and it's hard to disagree with that. He calls a spade a spade and whilst he's unpopular in some circles for that very reason nobody is going to take any liberties with him.
I'm not suggesting he's being offered the lead role, although thats not impossible, but he'd be mighty useful in the system somewhere.
You have on the one hand coaches that perhaps give players too much rope thinking they're fully professional and take responsibility for their own development and then you have guys like Steve that are the opposite. The real answer lies with the individual, but some people need a nudge and others need to be left alone.
He'd have been all over guys like Wes and Brandon long ago. That issue would have come to a head long before it became an issue, the young black guys tiptoe around him big time.

Anyway it may have just been a drop in to watch the game and say hello to a few folk, or maybe there's more to it. We wait and see what new surprises ZC has in store for us.
His first assignment should be to go and see what's going on at ZC Pole Inc and maybe tidy that up :lol:

Googly

Post by Googly »

Pimp Singo will be strapping on a box if he knows Steve is on his way :lol:

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Googly wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:47 am
Steve was spotted at the game yesterday. He has been coaching in SA and I'm sure is home for Xmas, but I'm thinking he's possibly being offered a role here somewhere.
I'm not a great believer in coincidences.

They might be thinking that somewhere in the system they need someone authoritarian in a coaching role and it's hard to disagree with that. He calls a spade a spade and whilst he's unpopular in some circles for that very reason nobody is going to take any liberties with him.
I'm not suggesting he's being offered the lead role, although thats not impossible, but he'd be mighty useful in the system somewhere.
You have on the one hand coaches that perhaps give players too much rope thinking they're fully professional and take responsibility for their own development and then you have guys like Steve that are the opposite. The real answer lies with the individual, but some people need a nudge and others need to be left alone.
He'd have been all over guys like Wes and Brandon long ago. That issue would have come to a head long before it became an issue, the young black guys tiptoe around him big time.

Anyway it may have just been a drop in to watch the game and say hello to a few folk, or maybe there's more to it. We wait and see what new surprises ZC has in store for us.
His first assignment should be to go and see what's going on at ZC Pole Inc and maybe tidy that up :lol:
I’ve always struggled to tell if you like Steve M or not. This is the most complimentary I’ve seen you talk of him. You’ve also said the authoritarian thing as a negative in the sense it doesn help players to scream at them.

Would you want him to coach your kids in the grades? Figuratively speaking.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Googly

Post by Googly »

No I like him for sure, he's a character. You can't be on the fence with him.

He had a lot to do with some of the players that are now coaches. He was dictatorial and it rubbed off on some of them. Some guys just can't pull it off. If you lack the passion then it's a non starter. He was always highly motivated and passionate and without that you're just a dick. Its a fine line though. He's produced some decent players. He was highly motivated to get black players breaking into what was white cricket in those days and it was tough and he did it well and was a hard task master and there was a common goal. That ship has sailed. I think there are still some guys congratulating themselves. :lol:

It's not a one size fits all. It's also a bit of a cultural thing. A white coach being tough on a black player doesn't go down well and vice versa. At age group level there's no getting away from the fact that black kids will respond better to a black coach and white kids to a white coach. The gap has closed, but it's there.
Some guys respond to being treated well and will get their backs up if treated poorly, especially the white boys, some of them are too precious. Plus a bit of it is lost in translation in both directions.
Some guys you give them an inch and they'll take a yard. I guess it's about reading the room. I'm pretty sure he's learnt some diplomacy along the way.

I just think there's a place for a passionate guy provided he knows what he's doing (if he still is, he might be tired.) Adapting your coaching to seniors when you're used to shouting the odds if need be is an adjustment.

At national level it's a different thing altogether as you're usually dealing with guys who know what they're doing.
The higher up you get the less coaches seem to be hands on, which is understandable. They assume a more advisory role. Again its a fine line, especially in our set up as there are guys that genuinely need work, technical, mental and in strategizing.

We've got guys who need hours of one on one. Most guys do their own thing and only ask for help when they feel they need it. Some guys go to a coach outside of the national set up even.

I don't know what guys like Chawaguta and Mangongo bring to the table at international level? They'd have to have seasoned players immediately buy into them and that's unlikely. You need to have an x factor extraordinaire without your own very good cricketing resume or a list of very good sides you'd successfully coached.
The good sides all have a nucleus of senior players that the others feed off. We're well short of that and it's THE major stumping block. Ervine and Williams are reaching the end and have had to navigate a shit divisive system for so long I'd guess they mostly look after themselves. Both are often injured or just not around for whatever their reasons.
Back in the bad days we had both Flowers, Houghton, Goodwin etc who were world class.

My 10c worth is that an unsuccessful (?) Houghton is always going to be a better option than Steve or Walter.
What are they going to do that Dave hasn't already done?
Shouting and cajoling won't work for the key guys, but it well might work on a few though.

It goes back to that very troubling statement- I've lost the change-room. There's the story. Maybe it was no more than they would lose crucial games and lost faith in their talisman Dave, but I think there's way more to it.
Coaches will always be the scapegoats. You take on Zim coach knowing that it's probably going to end in tears. Both Walter and Steve would/will be round 2 hoping for a different outcome in the same poor circumstances.

Houghton put Zim on the map. He's got more invested in our cricket than everybody else combined times 10. He is THE custodian of Zimbabwe cricket. Nobody left alive with the exception of Flower has done more.
If you're not going to make him chairman and CEO keep him where he is and add to his technical team if necessary.
Give him Mangongo to deal with the slackers. Give him Brent for the same.
Other teams arrive with 10 or 20 support staff. We arrive with 5.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

I’ve always felt he is better suited wit the youngsters - where an authoritarian structure might be better and instilling discipline might be more beneficial.
He was under 19 coach for yonks so I doubt I’m alone in thinking that.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Pat_Bee