Regional Trials

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Regional Trials

Post by Googly »

I think these trial games are yet another measure of the cluelessness and incompetence that surrounds our cricket, and that's even before we see who's on the team sheets.

Smack bang in the middle of the festive season. Anyone who says "well there are Boxing day tests" is ridiculous, we're not playing a test, we're having a last minute panic-stricken sham trials game.

25 people have an 800km round trip to do in order to participate in this expensive charade. The only people probably not attending will be the national coaches and selectors, the very people who should be there. They'll be into their 5th straight night of Christmas festivities somewhere and might glance at a scorecard after the games because they already know who their personal favorites are and maybe at least one selector is waiting to see if there's a car up for grabs.

Presumably they're looking for two replacements for Mavuta and Madhevere and if the third guy is also sitting out then there's three, plus looking for an opener in 50 over and possibly 2 in T20.

Is this not a white ball tour? Why then would they be playing two or three 50 over trials when there's also T20 games?
Where are the T20 regional trials?

If we see Prince Masvaure or Brian Chari in these line ups it's going to be weird, they're more red ball players. Are they going to get another bite of the cherry? What have they done recently for us to believe they're suddenly going to do well internationally? They're both pretty solid, I particularly like Chari, I think he's a good player, but his ability at international level is unconvincing.
If we see Kaia bowling with his action when we're actually looking for spinners you will have to wonder what we're doing.

The door is open for Shumba and/or Campbell in the absence of Wes and Brandon. Shumba is likely to win that one.

It's going to be interesting to see if Bennett and Welch Jr will be included. Let's face it they're only looking for maybe 3 or 4 guys, the other 17 are there to make up teams. Even if they're not in the mix shouldn't people be interested to see how they'd do. It would essentially be a cheap A game for people to see what they might do.

I see Mashinge, Akram and Jongwe having a tussle for a spot. Jongwe will win that, if they're taking two of them then someone's in line for a belated Xmas present.

As far as openers go there's Gumbie (penned in), Kaia, Kamunhukamwe, Chari, Welch, Marumani, Masvaure etc
Is DH still a "selector" or has he been resigned from that all important job as well.

It's an unmitigated shambles awaiting us.

TapsC2

Re: Regional Trials

Post by TapsC2 »

It all depends on the selection. If both Welch's and Bennet are given a chance then I doubt many people will complain here. 800km would be bad if they are driving but I would be surprised if that was case. Otherwise its a total of 3 hours by plane.

The problem is we sit here and judge the selections based on that let's take a look in the nets approach. Let them play and let's see what happens. They are probably 12 dead certain picks already with only 3 or 4 spots open. Madhevere's absence is the major opening which I believe anyone can take.

Now if Welch Jr or Bennet goes and bangs a hundred he is in the squad. Isn't that what people want? Without these games that doesnt happen.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

To me this tour is just as important as the u19 world cup. Why? If we get hammered there when will we ever get another tour which isn't Ireland, Bangladesh or the UAE trip to Afghanistan? Afghanistan has already lost interest. A good performance is vital for our future hopes. A lot is on the line here. I don't know how people can't see that. We mainly play associates now. This is a massive test.

Googly

Post by Googly »

And what's your take if one or neither are even in these games?
And what's your opinion of there being no T20 trials when we're playing T20 in Sri Lanka? Trials for one format and not the other?

Googly

Post by Googly »

When are the team sheets out?

Googly

Post by Googly »

We're almost past the point of no return here. Who are they looking at to coach us? If they want the cricketing world to give us more rope they need to find a world renowned coach to replace DH (whose resignation is an error).
Replacing DH with Mangongo or Chawa's will mean we are taken even less seriously. We've seen them both and it hasn't worked. Nobody has worked. The coach and coaching staff are only a miniscule part of a much bigger problem.

The only replacement person that people would take seriously is A Flower and I doubt he'd be available.

Googly

Post by Googly »

The most obvious and rectifiable problem is selection.
It will never be addressed, so how serious are ZC?

Googly

Post by Googly »

The team should have been training together for a week already, not waiting on the outcome of some ridiculous trials. As it stands they'll have 4 net sessions (weather permitting) and then they're off to slaughter.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Googly wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:32 am
And what's your take if one or neither are even in these games?
And what's your opinion of there being no T20 trials when we're playing T20 in Sri Lanka? Trials for one format and not the other?
If neither play then it's a big disappointment. A lot of other guys like Musakanda will also I did ok in the Pro50 give me a chance. Its a tough one. There will be disappointments.

There isn't enough time to do both I guess. Since they only start on Thursday now. They probably have to leave within a week.

Googly

Post by Googly »

So do you suppose it's the national selectors who pick these two teams, and do you think DH is still part of that equation?