Zimbabwe Squad for Sri Lanka

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Donald

Re: Zimbabwe Squad for Sri Lanka

Post by Donald »

Matt welch can make a really serious case for himself by racking up the logan cup runs this month

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

The problem we have is we shit ourselves.
We treated Uganda like Australia. UAE like India and got rattled by Scotlands 150km paceman.

I’m pretty certain that I was the first here to talk about a sports psychologist. I think I did this over ten years back.
It’s probably been my best idea here and it didn’t take long for every reg here to agree.
Am I bragging? Only a little.
The reason I’m mentioning it is for a decade now we have seen our biggest issue is the mental side.
I knew we would lost to Scotland because I knew unless Raza and Willo fired (again) we were gone.
I hinted this to the forum pre game and copped some shot for it and I understand why because you have to be positive, but I just knew they would. Because I know this team.
If it’s a crunch game, it can be against a team made up of the top 11 posters here and they’d splutter.

For ten plus years we have said a psychologist is the most important short term piece we are missing, but still nothing.
I don’t think havin one will be that expensive. I reckon a few would jump to come to Zim for the chance on a consultancy basis.

I mean what good is a national coach? At this point the players have made it to what they would be.
The only praise I saw of DH was he brought a new mentality to the team and we had 12 months of success.
What does that say?
Mentality.
This is the biggest low hanging fruit for a quick fix. Since everyone’s about that.
Last edited by ZIMDOGGY on Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

I am also surprised taht a country which is essentially a big ghetto hasn’t produced players with natural mental fortitude.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Googly wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:21 pm
TM is being very proactive in a weird way. He's been doing some real good stuff of late. I think he's got some lazy people with issues that make questionable and often irregular decisions in key positions. The devil is in the detail. Also nothing worse than an ingratiating employee. You need energetic people that don't have boot-licking degrees.
I’ve often wondered if TM is actually ok but he surrounds himself with pimps, Makoni etc
That’s still a reflection on him for not draining the swamp if so.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Crastle_cog

Post by Crastle_cog »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:36 pm
Its defintely a complicated issue. Both the board and the players have their faults. A real solution is probably impossible, so its all about treading water and trying to stay relevant at the international level by staying around the 12th rank across formats.

As for this particular squad...I had a look a Mufudzwa's stats and they certainly look good. He's a bit of a geriatric being 33, but a spin bowler can still play till 40 if he's fit and maintains his fitness. Zimbabwe haven't had a reliable finger spinner since the days of Utseya and Ray Price. Hopefully Mufudzwa can fill that role.

As for Madhevere and Mavuta...if the drug involved is limited to marijuana...hopefully they should be be back after this series. Its something stronger than weed, then there is a serious problem that will need professional help.
I mean Cremer was there till 2018. Afterwards it's been a shithole.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:28 pm
I’ve often wondered if TM is actually ok but he surrounds himself with pimps, Makoni etc
That’s still a reflection on him for not draining the swamp if so.
He’s not quite on Makoni or Bvute levels etc. but Mukuhlani is no angel, trust me.

His dirty tricks during the last contested board election should never be forgiven.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Googly wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:21 pm
TM is being very proactive in a weird way. He's been doing some real good stuff of late. I think he's got some lazy people with issues that make questionable and often irregular decisions in key positions. The devil is in the detail. Also nothing worse than an ingratiating employee. You need energetic people that don't have boot-licking degrees.
Another big one they were doing was pushing to host the qualifiers. There might have been financial benefits but we actually had 4 qualifiers and it worked once. Once they played in foreign conditions in Namibia they crumbled badly. It would have been very easy for all those qualifiers to have been played in the UAE for example. In Zim the fans played a massive role, especially against the West Indies this time around. That was all pressure. The Netherlands also crumbled under pressure in that final in Bulawayo.

I believe we can find common ground if we change key roles in the admin. Will they be sacrificed that’s the key question. Some of those guys have had longer careers than Sean Williams. They are also some of the constants he talks about besides himself :lol:

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

To be honest I don’t see TM being a president for life. He has bigger ambitions at the ICC. I’m sure he is working on getting deep into the organization.

Googly

Post by Googly »

He must be well connected there coz to keep getting these qualifiers are coups of note

Googly

Post by Googly »

Donald wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:16 pm
Matt welch can make a really serious case for himself by racking up the logan cup runs this month
Make a case for himself for a test match?
I don't see how 4 day runs help the cause for other formats.
It should at least get him into some starting line ups in other formats. He's a very strong T20 player.
Hes also not as good yet as his brother. Nw has had a poor run, not assisted by some criminal LBW decisions.