Logan Cup 10th-13th Jan | Mountaineers Vs Eagles | Tuskers Vs Rhinos

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Pat_Bee

Re: Logan Cup 10th-13th Jan | Mountaineers Vs Eagles | Tuskers Vs Rhinos

Post by Pat_Bee »

Nicked some random tyres to hold the covers down at the corners :lol: class

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

Forget naqvi and Myers; paint guy has some of the best strokes on show this round. Creases looking on point.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Are you just sat there watching the groundsmen? :?

Don't worry, we don't judge on ZCF :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

:lol: :lol: Ya bro.

It’s the stuff you never see on shall we say more professional broadcasts. One of my kids used to ask more questions about what the ground staff were doing than what was happening in play :lol: stuck with me that.

Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Zimco »

secretzimbo wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:01 am
It says a lot when a guy who couldn’t crack the Australian, Pakistan or even West Indies domestic systems is out here scoring triple centuries.

Not to take away from his achievement but I reckon this is the weakest XI Tuskers have ever fielded.

But an amazing achievement nonetheless - well done to him.
That doesn't mean much, it's extremely hard to crack the Australian first class system especially if you weren't spotted early. Grade cricket doesn't have enough games. Plus batters get better with age. It's easier to crack as a young fast bowler. Some of the top grade cricketers probably have the ability if given the structure and training of the first class. Then it's the mental toughness, luck, hard work, money that makes the international players. Most of those that become internationals would have started in the pathway young eg u19 though I'd imagine.

I'm sure pakistan is difficult too for someone who hasn't been in the system. It's partly getting spotted by someone/connections.

Tim David couldnt make Australian first class and didn't maintain his scorchers contract, plus many other good players. He got exposure via Singapore. Raza didn't play first class before Zim to my knowledge?

I reckon naqvi is a good player and is probably improving with the amount of cricket hes playing.
Last edited by Zimco on Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Jemisi wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:06 pm
aydee wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:26 am
Fair play for declaring at 300. Still 5 sessions left, so thought he might have had a slog after lunch.
Yeah, I thought he'd push on
Strikes me as someone who would want to protect their average as opposed to slog.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

pillowprocter wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:40 am
Why was Chari not playing in the first place? Isn't he the usual Tuskers captain? Also their highest runscorer
He's been subbed in for Williams now. No idea why he didn't start, especially considering how weak the rest of the lineup is.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Zimco wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:32 pm
secretzimbo wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:01 am
It says a lot when a guy who couldn’t crack the Australian, Pakistan or even West Indies domestic systems is out here scoring triple centuries.

Not to take away from his achievement but I reckon this is the weakest XI Tuskers have ever fielded.

But an amazing achievement nonetheless - well done to him.
That doesn't mean much, it's extremely hard to crack the Australian first class system especially if you weren't spotted early. Grade cricket doesn't have enough games. Plus batters get better with age. It's easier to crack as a young fast bowler. Some of the top grade cricketers probably have the ability if given the structure and training of the first class. Then it's the mental toughness, luck, hard work, money that makes the international players. Most of those that become internationals would have started in the pathway young eg u19 though I'd imagine.

I'm sure pakistan is difficult too for someone who hasn't been in the system. It's partly getting spotted by someone/connections.

Tim David couldnt make Australian first class and didn't maintain his scorchers contract, plus many other good players. He got exposure via Singapore. Raza didn't play first class before Zim to my knowledge?

I reckon naqvi is a good player and is probably improving with the amount of cricket hes playing.
Not getting a crack at Australian domestic is no sleight on him. Like you said that’s the toughest scene to crack in the world by far. The idea is when you step up to international cricket, you’re already ready, or even facing easier attacks than the shield.

What is a concern though is Naqvi not only wasn’t playing domestic , he was not playing Grade cricket. He was playing something closer to park cricket.
Sydney 1st grade is extremely high standard. Top ones are county level. Bottom ones county 2nd. Melb I don’t know much about but I believe is a little lower.
The others won’t be nearly as high and definitely not the Darwin cricketing scene.
Darwin population= 130k.
Half of whom are aboriginals strung out on petrol fumes and passed out from mineral turpentine.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

He has played 1st Grade. Can't remember which state

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Good to see Myers get to 200. Not easy to do even on a road with a school boy attack. This is what Taibu was talking about. Kids who have what it takes should be able to dominate our domestic league easily.