Logan Cup 10th-13th Jan | Mountaineers Vs Eagles | Tuskers Vs Rhinos

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC2

Re: Logan Cup 10th-13th Jan | Mountaineers Vs Eagles | Tuskers Vs Rhinos

Post by TapsC2 »

To be honest Naqvi is good enough to crack lower level international teams. I don’t what you guys think but I think he will be slightly better than Gumbie when he debuts. Gumbie is averaging about 29. I think he will get to about 35 minimum. His greatest skill is that he converts.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

TapsC2 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:01 pm
To be honest Naqvi is good enough to crack lower level international teams.
How do you know?

He's clearly a good player but all we know so far is that he is able to score big runs batting against Nkosana Mpofu, Nkosibongwe Gogodo and Mgcini Dube.

With the greatest respect to them, 'lower level international teams' generally have far better attacks than that.

I hope you are right because he will undoubtedly play for us at some point, and we are desperate.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

secretzimbo wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:24 pm
TapsC2 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:01 pm
To be honest Naqvi is good enough to crack lower level international teams.
How do you know?

He's clearly a good player but all we know so far is that he is able to score big runs batting against Nkosana Mpofu, Nkosibongwe Gogodo and Mgcini Dube.

With the greatest respect to them, 'lower level international teams' generally have far better attacks than that.

I hope you are right because he will undoubtedly play for us at some point, and we are desperate.
This 100%
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Tbf he does look technically very good, very organised, plenty of shots, on the handful of streams I've watched him on since he arrived.
But it's a relatively small sample size still. Most of the other guys in the system we've seen much more often, and also when they were younger etc, and can judge them a bit better.

He looks great but realistically we still have no idea whether he would average 20 or 30 or 40 in international cricket.

We are so desperate now that I could get behind him, but only if he does the full qualification period. If they fudge the rules or gift him a passport and a farm then I'm out. If he does the hard yards and time then fair enough. Although part of me still suspects there are ulterior motives and he is not to be trusted.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

I guess we will just have to wait and find out. I don’t think we will have to wait too long. Medium term. We have had the big 4 plus the likes of Ballance, Compton etc coming here. None of them scored 300.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

TapsC2 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:41 pm
I guess we will just have to wait and find out. I don’t think we will have to wait too long. Medium term. We have had the big 4 plus the likes of Ballance, Compton etc coming here. None of them scored 300.
Well it's three years permanent residency with no 'significant' periods of time out of the country so on that count he isn't eligible until September 2026. Unless they bend the rules and gift him a passport.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I don't want to sound like I'm downgrading his triple in any way, a lifetime achievement, but the bowling in both games has been shite. Deon Myers scored a great double today as well, but again the Eagles bowling was very poor. Both fantastic achievements though. There has been a plethora of centuries in the last few days. When was the last time we saw so many?

These pitches have been strange as well. One minute they're tough and the next they're a road. We're going into day 4 and if the rain holds off they'll probably play like a day 1 road. They clearly like a lot of water and then a bit of sun and they become a batter's paradise.

Googly

Post by Googly »

secretzimbo wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:46 pm
TapsC2 wrote:
Well it's three years permanent residency with no 'significant' periods of time out of the country so on that count he isn't eligible until September 2026. Unless they bend the rules and gift him a passport.
I thought it was 10 years here unless you go the investment passport route then it's basically immediate?

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Taka has been an absolute road ever since they relaid it a couple of months the before the qualifiers. Very very flat

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Googly wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:00 pm
secretzimbo wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:46 pm
TapsC2 wrote:
I thought it was 10 years here unless you go the investment passport route then it's basically immediate?
Ya it is 10 years to get a Zim passport.

But for ICC eligibility you can also just do three years continuous residency. But he was away for about 4 months last winter so that screws that.

Or if he gets an investor passport or a gifted/fudged one then he’s eligible immediately.