Zimbabwe Vs Sri Lanka| 3rd T20 |18 Jan 2024 *THE DECIDER!*

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC2

Re: Zimbabwe Vs Sri Lanka| 3rd T20 |18 Jan 2024 *THE DECIDER!*

Post by TapsC2 »

mnelson68 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:58 am
secretzimbo wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:41 pm
mnelson68 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:40 pm

No agendas from me , just plain shit selection
We can all see the pattern in your posts. I'll say no more.
So you are happy to drop Burl who is one of 3 batsman in the team that is suited to t20 cricket as a batsman and replace him with Munyonga , my pattern is I can't see value in perservering with average performers . At least Burl has got some credits in the bank but typical that the selectors choose to stuff around with a winning formula from the game before.
Give Munyonga 60 games like Burl has gotten and you might be shocked. He isn’t a bad player and is much younger. Burl was average until about 18 months ago. I’m not saying Munyonga is better than Burl right now but Burl is not Ervine, Raza or Sean. They are the only ones who should be given a game no matter what.

Nobody here cries for example when Kaia got dropped for Shumba but Kaia and Burl are probably the same. Burl averages 25 in ODIs. So does Kaia. Let’s be consistent when we cry about exclusions

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

If we played more ODIs. I would be pro Campbell in the squad to challenge Burl. He is the only one besides the big 3 or the 2 fast bowlers who doesn’t have competition
Last edited by TapsC2 on Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Ya exactly. Sure, I’d put Burl straight back in for the next match/series but he needs a bit of a kick and hopefully that drop is it for him. Players need to know there are consequences if you have such a poor series as that.
We need him to be a reliable senior consistent guy in the team going forwards. He needs to up his game. Especially as his bowling has not really advanced and both of our captains don’t seem to trust him with that. He’s got to score runs

mnelson68

Post by mnelson68 »

TapsC2 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:44 am
mnelson68 wrote:
secretzimbo wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:41 pm

We can all see the pattern in your posts. I'll say no more.
So you are happy to drop Burl who is one of 3 batsman in the team that is suited to t20 cricket as a batsman and replace him with Munyonga , my pattern is I can't see value in perservering with average performers . At least Burl has got some credits in the bank but typical that the selectors choose to stuff around with a winning formula from the game before.
Give Munyonga 60 games like Burl has gotten and you might be shocked. He isn’t a bad player and is much younger. Burl was average until about 18 months ago. I’m not saying Munyonga is better than Burl right now but Burl is not Ervine, Raza or Sean. They are the only ones who should be given a game no matter what.

Nobody here cries for example when Kaia got dropped for Shumba but Kaia and Burl are probably the same. Burl averages 25 in ODIs. So does Kaia. Let’s be consistent when we cry about exclusions
T20 cricket is for players who can clear the fence , Burl can do that which makes him dangerous. I'm sure Sri Lanka were happy that he didn't play.

mnelson68

Post by mnelson68 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:50 am
Ya exactly. Sure, I’d put Burl straight back in for the next match/series but he needs a bit of a kick and hopefully that drop is it for him. Players need to know there are consequences if you have such a poor series as that.
We need him to be a reliable senior consistent guy in the team going forwards. He needs to up his game. Especially as his bowling has not really advanced and both of our captains don’t seem to trust him with that. He’s got to score runs
He has his limitations , not blessed with the same natural ability as the others but he is the best Zim has at the moment at batting 6 or 7 which by the way is not an easy position to bat.

Googly

Post by Googly »

TapsC2 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:46 am
If we played more ODIs. I would be pro Campbell in the squad to challenge Burl. He is the only one besides the big 3 or the 2 fast bowlers who doesn’t have competition
Not strictly true. Overlord has cemented his spot in 50 over and tests.
Someone would have to do really well to replace Masakadza on a consistent basis. One shit game and Wellie would be back in the mix.
Madande, Jongwe and Madhevere are firm favourites as well. Anyone who replaces them has about 2 opportunities and they'll be swapped out.
Burl gets extended opportunities because they've seen he can occasionally play well. It's the same as Madande, he's won 2 or 3 games with a boundary and they back him.

It means they don't back anyone else to do the same. You can pick any half decent player and if you give him long enough he'll eventually provide a good performance to vindicate the dross selections.

ilovearsenal04
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by ilovearsenal04 »

mnelson68 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:48 am
TapsC2 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:44 am
mnelson68 wrote:

T20 cricket is for players who can clear the fence , Burl can do that which makes him dangerous. I'm sure Sri Lanka were happy that he didn't play.
Ohh Munyonga sure can clear it a very long way as well. He just needs confidence, i remember seeing him clear the ropes in Nepal some time last year, he has very strong arms, just needs confidence boosters he will be fine.
The higher you go the cooler it becomes.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Perhaps Burl is getting a bit complacent and needs a reality check.
He has been considered a first choice pick for a while now and he’s stagnated.
Even when firing it’s only ever been nice little back end cameos
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

Dreadful tour Burl had. Made nearly four times the runs Raza did in the ODIs :lol: reality checked.

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

Nice little cameos is Raza’s modus operandi. Solid player but if anyone got a free pass it’s him.