What is Zimbabwe Crickets ceiling?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: What is Zimbabwe Crickets ceiling?

Post by Googly »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:17 pm
One way we can ensure we never reach our ‘ceiling’, whatever that may be, is by continuing to play 50% of our domestic fixtures on a ground that resembles a lake.

4 days washed out yet again at Takashinga whilst a result was nearly achieved up the road at OH. Again.

How can they justify continuing to play games there. This season has been a debacle
An almost result after literally a day and a half of cricket.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:15 pm
Googly wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:35 pm
There's been a lot of unpleasantness in this game already.
You can't chase this total because they're going to fake injuries every other ball. Waste of time, should just shake hands and go
Has been a lot of unpleasantness in every eagles v Tuskers game the past 2-3 years. It would be nice if we had the same bite and passion between games involving other franchises
What drives that? Tribalism form the main ethnic hubs of the two?
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Ethnic to an extent, but 5 of the Eagles XI today wasn't Shona and half the Tuskers XI isn't Ndebele so ya idk. Just a general rivalry as being the two biggest franchises/biggest cities I guess. Just Harare Vs Bulawyao in general.

The more recent back-and-forth over the past couple of years stems from this match: https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/log ... -scorecard

There was some incredibly hostile, in fact downright dangerous, bowling directed at a very young Clive Madande throughout his innings and a lot of over-the-mark sledging and chat on-field.
Throughout the game there were a number of incidents and I believe there was an altercation between Luke Jongwe and an umpire at one stage which really should have led to disciplinary proceedings (and would have done anywhere else in the world) but seemingly didn't.
Additionally there were reports of a 'major coming together' between players from both teams off-field at the end of the day.
Last edited by secretzimbo on Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Googly

Post by Googly »

There's that for certain, there's always been animosity between the two, even amongst the white guys. Amongst the whites in the old days it was also a big issue, no love whatsoever. You had to tread very carefully when you were down there and even if you ended up living there you were always an outsider.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Googly wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:03 pm
Only Babar and Kohli average above 50. The rest are close though.
Check the list again. Its not career average, but average since 2015. And since 2015 a good dozen or so guys average 50+...and 4-5 guys average around 60.

For ZIM, Taylor averaged 45, Raza 37-38, and Williams 35. This is against top 10 sides, and are pretty solid numbers (Taylor is outstanding). Hamilton was down in the 20s, which is why I've never rated him - he averages less than half of a Kohli. The current Sri Lanka guys average high 30s, which again is solid, but not outstanding. But someone like Sanga was 60+, I'm pretty sure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ya I saw your link. Some crazy good batsmen. The in form guy atm is Darrell Mitchell, he's playing beautifully.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Googly wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:50 am
Ya I saw your link. Some crazy good batsmen. The in form guy atm is Darrell Mitchell, he's playing beautifully.
Mitchell is a gun. NZ always seem to produce 2-3 absolute gun players at a time. Both in batting and bowling. Of course sometimes they just poach a Saffer like Wagner. But it’s truly remarkable. And they are such a humble team with all their success.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Googly

Post by Googly »

The good saffers run to NZ but we're 500km away across the border and most have some loose connection with one of the settlers. One settler one Zim cap.

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:47 pm
Ethnic to an extent, but 5 of the Eagles XI today wasn't Shona and half the Tuskers XI isn't Ndebele so ya idk. Just a general rivalry as being the two biggest franchises/biggest cities I guess. Just Harare Vs Bulawyao in general.

The more recent back-and-forth over the past couple of years stems from this match: https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/log ... -scorecard

There was some incredibly hostile, in fact downright dangerous, bowling directed at a very young Clive Madande throughout his innings and a lot of over-the-mark sledging and chat on-field.
Throughout the game there were a number of incidents and I believe there was an altercation between Luke Jongwe and an umpire at one stage which really should have led to disciplinary proceedings (and would have done anywhere else in the world) but seemingly didn't.
Additionally there were reports of a 'major coming together' between players from both teams off-field at the end of the day.
Haha I remember that. Wasnt that the one with Ngarava and Chivanga having goes at the batters

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Ya that’s the one