Logan Cup ( Rhinos vs Eagles & Tuskers v Southern Rocks)

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Logan Cup ( Rhinos vs Eagles & Tuskers v Southern Rocks)

Post by secretzimbo »

Mufudza 6-41.

Is anyone able to suggest what this Roach guy offers? Other than bags of cash?

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

secretzimbo wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:48 pm
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:40 pm
Train Driver wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:35 pm
WTF is going on with Rhinos? what a pathetic line up :twisted:
I know Im alone in thinking it but we have one franchise team too many.
No, I think in an ideal world, 'in theory', many would agree with you on this.

But in reality all it would lead to is even fewer opportunities for those that deserve them. Franchise selelction isn't fair as it is and it's unlikely that would suddenly approve. Even if you only had 2 franchises you can guarantee the same over-the-hill guys or favorites would get picked every week regardless.

No way someone like Matt Welch would have even made his FC debut yet if we only had 4 franchises.
I know what you are saying but in my vision, the idea is just as much to pump up the standard of club/NPL by filtering down the offcuts from FC, that will then strngthen all levels of the game.

Re:Opportunities, you can still pay players a stipend as top club players. The idea would be get rid of the Cunningham Ncubes as you mentioned last month (check out his wikipedia for a lol btw) and people holding on a bit too long like Chatara from the top domestic level, who could reinforce the level below.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Or, an alternative option is to just not play franchise cricket whilst the national team are away on duty?
Revert to NPL/club cricket during those weeks.

Then ensure Logan Cup fixtures are only scheduled whilst everyone is available. Full availability plus 2 high quality overseas and then 5 sides is justified.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

His Wikipedia did indeed give me a :lol:

jw2

Post by jw2 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:16 pm
Or, an alternative option is to just not play franchise cricket whilst the national team are away on duty?

Then ensure Logan Cup fixtures are only scheduled whilst everyone is available. Full availability plus 2 high quality overseas and then 5 sides is justified.
I totally agree!

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:16 pm

Very true. The T20 leagues also mess up the schedule around this specific time as well.

The interesting thing about the national team is that there are 4 specific guys who don’t seem to play in the Logan Cup anymore. Raza for obvious reasons. Burl hasn’t played since 2022. The 2 fast bowlers haven’t played in ages as well probably to manage their game time since they are literally all we got. Burl is the one I don’t understand.

Williams is more of a play when he wants type too but he does play here and there. Craig is committed along with the rest of the senior team who don’t have guaranteed spots.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

I have to ask this question. Would we say there is a difference between Ben Curran and Nick Welch right now? In terms of performance. I don’t really know who is better but all I’m trying to say is that if we going to include Nick in ‘A’ teams based on potential then Ben deserves a chance too based on that same potential. The key here for us is to expand our player pool with batsmen who have a chance of making it at the highest level. If he got a county contract before then he has that potential.

Maybe Mangongo might see this too. Well that’s if they abandon an u25 idea and actually go for an ‘A’ team. We need players in the next 18 months. Some of those much younger players need more than that. I also like what I have seen with Kaia and Gumbie over Marumani and Shumba for example. Maturity and experience really matters when it comes to batting with guys at our level.

Mangongo was also a big believer in Alistair Frost. I don’t know how final his decision is to play for Ireland but I believe if he hasn’t 100% made up his mind yet Steve will push for him. It’s crazy looking back, who would have thought Steve would come and potentially save us from disaster :lol: what I like about him is that we will know he had the final say on his picks and he does know his cricket

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Ya Welch is struggling big time at the moment. Curran is in nice form. I think overall Welch is a better player though, will be proved over time.

Also Welch is a much better white ball than red ball player. Struggled with red ball in England too.

Googly

Post by Googly »

He's had some shocking decisions. Yesterday was bizarre as well, gloved one down leg in the first innings after 4 fours in a row and then a thunderbolt pull shot to mid wicket that I believe broke the catcher's hand or fingers, but he held on.
He didn't get any red ball opportunities in County, for unknown reasons. It's his worst run of low scores in his career and yet he says he's feeling balanced, seeing it well and is batting with a clear head.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Appears to be a temperament issue with Nick.

Hitting a 6 and getting out all in the space of one over is further evidence of that.

I’m starting to wonder if the County scene in fact is screwing players abilities outside of English pitches
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*