Durham tour of Zimbabwe

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Durham tour of Zimbabwe

Post by secretzimbo »

Donald wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:41 am
secretzimbo wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:31 am
Donald wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:41 pm
Ali hamid has to come in for next match. I mean he has a first class average of almost 50, 3 100's in past 5 games. Not sure what they see anymore in marumani.

The biggest prize out of the last batch of under 19s is Dion Myers. Give him a good run and he will pay back with interest of that im sure. Hopefully in summer 2024.
If you are wanting to go off Logan Cup stats then Marumani averaged 70 this season and Hamid 48.

There's a high chance that Hamid and anyone else will have the same issues against top quality world-class opposition as Marumani and co for exactly the same reasons. You are expecting miracles from guys that are woefully underprepared for this level of cricket.

As for 'Not sure what they see in him anymore' with regards to Marumani. Jeez. :? Literally everyone and anyone who has watched the kid bat close-up knows theres a hell of a player in there somewhere. He needs some quality 1-to-1 coaching for a chunk of time and like all of our players he needs to be playing in a significantly higher quality system that will prepare him and others for international cricket.
Jeez there is lots of bile this morning.
Somebody has woken up on wrong side of bed.
I'm not expecting miracles from anyone just think that Marumani has had lots of chances and maybe it was time to put in someone like Ali Hamid who may have more of a ceiling.
I have seen Marumani in full flow and when he connects he is a joy to watch. We can't discount the amount of chances that he has had comparable to other players.

Sorry but Hamid does not have a higher ceiling than Marumani. That is patently not true, I guarantee.
I like Hamid, I’ve been his biggest supporter on this forum and was talking about him 2-3 years ago before anyone else knew he existed.
But he does not have a higher ceiling than Marumani in terms of potential.

Cricket is an odd game especially in our country with a broken system and so many issues, so in reality maybe he will do better than Marumani, who knows. But the potential in the latter is higher, trust me.

All of our young players are quite likely to face the same issues and struggles at international level because they are all receiving the same coaching and same domestic preparation and mostly will struggle to step-up in the current environment. One or two may work miracles and inexplicably do better than the others but generally that is how it will go.

I really don’t think constantly just predicting the next random 18 year old who comes a long will be the next international superstar helps anyone or anything.

All it does is paper over the cracks.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Also where was the bile :?

All I did was disagree with your point. Sheeeish

Donald

Post by Donald »

So you will obviously be aware that we need to grow the next batch of players broken system or not.

Marumani averaging 70 this year is not his entire career first class average just a microcosm. Ali is averaging almost 50 as a career average with 3 recent hundreds.

All I was saying is maybe it's time to try him out and the A side is an ideal place to do it.

Not saying we should catapult all these starlets into the national side with the exception of Jono Campbell who has looked head and shoulders above the rest. Just give them an opportunity at A side cricket.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

I don’t disagree with you on giving Hamid a chance. I’m an advocate of his and I’m pleased he’s at least around the squad.

It was more the highly critical Marumani comments ‘I don’t know what anyone sees in him’ etc.

There is a tendency on the forum to personally criticise young players when they don’t set the world alight and then very quickly move onto the next youngster who has scored some Logan Cup runs.

Marumani has huge potential - that’s what successive coaches and selectors at all age groups see in him. Unfortunately he has a few key technical deficiencies that would probably have been fixed in a proper system and the same mental fragility that 99% of our players and 100% of our youngsters all have.

I hope Hamid does better in the step-up but I would doubt it. He has a problem with high quality spin in particular

Donald

Post by Donald »

I don't know anyone who doesn't struggle to a degree against high quality spin. Maybe Brian Lara and Tendulkar to name but two.

Like I said not advocating parachuting anyone ( Bar 1) into the national side just want to see if the players can cut it or not. A side is a very good indicator

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Marumani's problem is himself. There doesn't appear to be a lot of brain power

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

sloandog wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:29 am
Marumani's problem is himself. There doesn't appear to be a lot of brain power
By all accounts he is not the brightest. He’s unlikely to figure it out himself but presumably the only coaching he gets is a few random directionless net sessions and some coaching from Matsikenyeri who has failed with almost every single one of our batters over the past five years.

The good news is that he has gone up a level this season in domestics and is now dominating. But like with literally all of our players, the step up to international is gigantic and he’s not getting the right preparation, which is a shame

Donald

Post by Donald »

So durham will probably bat again which is a positive. Bennett is going well. I think he got lucky with an earlier LBE decision but then he had an awful one in first innings so things even itself out.

Need these two and the tail to wag a bit now to get anything out of this game.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Pretty shit reading. In fairness it's a very inexperienced batting line up and you'd like to think the likes of Maru, Welch, Bennett and Campbell will be speaking with these Durham boys. Any and all Intel and advise should be swallowed up. Its nice to see Brian continue his good form against better opposition, the same with JC.

Donald

Post by Donald »

Ainsley is a pretty decent bat huh. If it wasn't for that bizarre run out in first innings and being stranded in second I would have backed him to get 50