Durham tour of Zimbabwe

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CalZim
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: Durham tour of Zimbabwe

Post by CalZim »

good to see young Chataira full of confidence and loving his bowling.

He has had a quiet season so I was surprised when I saw his selection, but he has done very well.

Googly

Post by Googly »

The pitch is going to get easier and easier. We got the thin end of the wedge there this morning in those conditions. Unfortunately I called it. Don't forget these English lads sometimes bat in zero degrees in April. I've been to an April game where it actually started snowing! No jokes.

A combination of a jagging ball and tennis ball bounce is as unplayable as it gets. The best shot is a leave and the zim boys did that badly. You just have to get through it by leaving everything you can and hope for a half volley or a short and wide one, or one you can tuck around the corner. Golden rule is don't drive unless it's and absolute half volley. Absolutely typical club pitch English conditions and we failed dismally. Nobody there experienced enough to immediately recognize the conditions and what to do.
Also poor foot movement. Mpofu is really guilty of that.
Makoni got a good delivery, popped on him. That would have undone a lot of people.
I'd have batted at least a meter out of my crease there. No harm in walking at the bowler either. Anything to stop them getting into a rhythm.

Proof is that the Durham guys also struggled and they batted in better conditions than we did.
Unfortunately the pitch is improving now as it dries out and heats up. We'll be batting to save the game again, hopefully in better conditions.

The water table at Takashinga is clearly just below the surface. That's what causes the tennis ball bounce, even if the pitch has been covered. It's an expensive fair weather ground.

Donald

Post by Donald »

Hamid and mpofu negotiated that well.

Givemores son or nephew whatever I feel sorry for

Googly

Post by Googly »

He got a ball that stayed really low and got in a bit of a tangle. As I said he's a decent player doing his best.

Watch this Paul Coughlin guy. He's a giant and can really put them down but very injury prone, has had at least one shoulder op and a torn hamstring, but was widely regarded as the best ground fielder in England. Unbelievably fast and agile for such a huge man and picks the ball up at full speed and let's it go in a split second. Injury has probably stopped him playing for England.

Googly

Post by Googly »

The pitch has gotten much friendlier. If these two negotiate the first hour tomorrow we can save this game.

Neither of these two guys move their feet. Ali has got good hands though, gets away with it to a degree.
I think he had a life there, looked like he might have gloved one down leg. Make it count, lad.

Donald

Post by Donald »

Shout out to young Chataira. This is what these A games are really about unearthing talent. Those two wickets he got were top draw, Really got them to bounce on de Leede and Borthwick. Should give him lots of confidence.

The Kookabura ball is also a great leveller. All the bowlers have looked really good. Maybe we should start using them late 2024 when logan cup starts up again.
Ndlovu has also showed he has a lot of batting talent. That wasn't easy to hit that little cameo innings when we were staring at giving up a 150 run lead.

Donald

Post by Donald »

I actually like Makoni. He did well against West indies in the one test where he scored 35 I think and had some shots.
However he averages 20 in last ten matches so I hope this inclusion was not nepotism based/favouritism. I do feel for the kid. I'm sure he is trying his hardest.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Donald wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:05 pm
I actually like Makoni. He did well against West indies in the one test where he scored 35 I think and had some shots.
However he averages 20 in last ten matches so I hope this inclusion was not nepotism based/favouritism. I do feel for the kid. I'm sure he is trying his hardest.
Fair to say he wouldn't be in this squad and he definitely wouldn't have made his Test debut if he wasn't called Makoni.

He's an okay Logan Cup player, fairly organised and puts a price on his wicket. He's had a few good innings. But this is a big step up and Tests even more so. I wish him well and hope he does well for Zim because for sure he will get plenty of chances through his career.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Donald wrote:
How bad is it we are celebrating 35's.
For sure he will be the beneficiary of nepotism. My bet is you'll see it via him getting a national contract.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Donald

Post by Donald »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:46 pm
Donald wrote:
How bad is it we are celebrating 35's.
For sure he will be the beneficiary of nepotism. My bet is you'll see it via him getting a national contract.
Makoni snr earns enough. I'm sure he is not brassic