Africa Games squad

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC2

Re: Africa Games squad

Post by TapsC2 »

Milton Shumba missing is the one that surprised me the most.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

As usual there is no rhyme or reason tbh. This isn’t a particularly bad squad, I’m not complaining per se.

But there’s no consistency or logic as usual. As you say, why are Shumba and Hamid considered good enough for Zim A, but not the U25 side? Nothing ever makes sense. Marumani, Bennett and Madande have been in both - why wouldn’t Shumba and Hamid and others?

If anything if you are going by form then Matt Welch should get the nod ahead of his brother. So are they picking on form? On potential? On past records?

Who knows? It’s anyone’s guess

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Does this mean they’ve finally officially abandoned the Roy Kaia thing?!?!

Googly

Post by Googly »

They have to decide which is most important between form, potential and past record.
If we are to progress with the miniscule number of good players they have to choose potential.

A player having a good run is a great thing and if there's room he should be rewarded, but unless they pick the guys that you can see has that bit extra, regardless of current form they're going to play musical chairs and get nowhere.

The problem is who decides who are the best players? We know who does that currently and they're biased and probably can't really see it. It would be worth getting someone like Flower to come here for a month and say- right I've had a look and focus on these guys in your HPC, Zim u25 or whatever you want to call it.

They're making a huge mistake by playing our T20 season over one week. What happens if 4 of our best batters don't make a run? Do they sit out of T20's until next year?
Surely people should be telling Admin, not asking, to at least double the number of games? And give the players more than 20 minutes rest between games to recover, fine tune a couple of things, work on some shots that went wrong, and be ready for the next game.

We're at a point where admin are starting to care a bit, but not enough. It's like they're adopting a red head.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Googly wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:38 am
They have to decide which is most important between form, potential and past record.
If we are to progress with the miniscule number of good players they have to choose potential.

A player having a good run is a great thing and if there's room he should be rewarded, but unless they pick the guys that you can see has that bit extra, regardless of current form they're going to play musical chairs and get nowhere.

The problem is who decides who are the best players? We know who does that currently and they're biased and probably can't really see it. It would be worth getting someone like Flower to come here for a month and say- right I've had a look and focus on these guys in your HPC, Zim u25 or whatever you want to call it.

They're making a huge mistake by playing our T20 season over one week. What happens if 4 of our best batters don't make a run? Do they sit out of T20's until next year?
Surely people should be telling Admin, not asking, to at least double the number of games? And give the players more than 20 minutes rest between games to recover, fine tune a couple of things, work on some shots that went wrong, and be ready for the next game.

We're at a point where admin are starting to care a bit, but not enough. It's like they're adopting a red head.
I think T20s might be the format where form matters most. Raza style. If you are seeing it then you go for it. Other formats need more thought in my opinion. For example I genuinely believe Curran could pull a Gumbie in ODIs. Gumbie has actually never dominated in any format but he got big scores against quality opposition

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

I want to see Ben Curran integrated more into these squads. He's played county standard and did okay.