Hamilton Masakadza steps down

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Hamilton Masakadza steps down

Post by Googly »

The results obviously don't show it and the beat downs we've received by Durham have really highlighted our shortcomings, but cricket is a game of millimeters.

The one thing that ZC have recognised is that better bowling improves the batting and they imported the 5 Pakistan guys. They've been great for our cricket.
The scary part is that they're tape ball guys with limited time with an actual cricket ball. Either they're very good or our bowling is that bad.

I'd love them to sign off with a tape ball game at HSC under lights next week. Let's see what that's all about.
Well maybe a game at each province. Maybe it will get the kids' attention??

Googly

Post by Googly »

I believe a couple of those guys can bowl 150 with a tape ball. That would be fun to watch.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Do you need a concrete pitch for tape ball?

pillowprocter

Post by pillowprocter »

Well one of the bowlers, Mountaineers' Salman Mirza, had played a PSL game for Qalandars in 2021

Googly

Post by Googly »

Is he the leftie that bowls the late in-duckers?
If so I've seen him bowl some really unplayable deliveries.
The question is have any of our seamers taken anything from them?
Personally I think our batters have improved a bit. There have been some good scores, meaning they've survived those guys and picked some runs off them as well.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

I also disagree with John about there being no one of any Color currently having the potential of those guys from the early 2000’s.

I think we have a handful with real potential and talent. Problem is they are battling a much worse system than what we had 20+ years ago so it’s going to be tough.

ZC talking a good game recently about this restructure and investment but I remain sceptical it will ever happen and if it does, do I really trust these guys to do it properly?

Googly

Post by Googly »

jw2 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:21 pm
I have always found Hammy a great guy to deal with, always friendly, approachable and humble. Twenty years ago we had him, Taibu, Sibanda, Matsikenyeri, all from Churchill School, all tremendous prospects and all great guys of fine character, but sadly their careers were badly damaged by the political revolution in ZC. I don't think we have even one such batting prospect today among the black players, and ZC need to find out why not.
The pipeline has been pinched off with so few schools playing cricket. Only thing that resurrects interest is some age group cricket, impartial selections, a new government and economy, better cricket admin and our national side winning some games.
All stuff covered multiple times.

The most important thing is to win some games!!
We need better balls
Better selectors
Better pitches
Better umpires.
More international games.
More A games
More counties
More T20's
Better pre-season prep.
An HPC. A couple of indoors
Bowling machines
Year round liveable salaries for the better players so they can practice in the off season.
Better franchise coaching. Guys who are prepared to put in pre-season, one on one etc. This is actually a big one, a lot of these guys are just treading water and collecting their money. They need a proper shake up. Some of them just aren't good enough and never will be.
Houghton, Brent, Tinker, Brown and Taylor in coaching roles.
These guys are so important to our future.

All of this comes from high level professional administration. They've done some reasonable things of late, but its not close to enough. Its step 1.
I still see some bias, subtle and not so subtle. We want to see some white guys in admin roles and on the multitude of boards. Two hands on the piggy bank and steering wheel is what's holding us back. This is not a family business.
Revisit that amended constitution so it's not a document to retain control to hand down to your children.

Donald

Post by Donald »

Dion myers is the real talent. I worried that he had maybe lost his mojo being away from the game for a bit but that was well and truly refuted by scores of 150 and 200 In his last two Logan cup games.

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

Googly wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:54 am
I believe a couple of those guys can bowl 150 with a tape ball. That would be fun to watch.
They’d win that Italian poster’s competition easy then :lol:

Googly

Post by Googly »

Donald wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:40 am
Dion myers is the real talent. I worried that he had maybe lost his mojo being away from the game for a bit but that was well and truly refuted by scores of 150 and 200 In his last two Logan cup games.
Why do you say he's THE real talent? He's done remarkably well in red ball considering how little cricket he plays, and he is good at other formats, but there are a few other guys that
have just as much ability.
I will guarantee you that when he comes back he will get a direct entry and am almost prepared to guarantee he will run into the same problems that our other good young hopefuls have experienced.
That can possibly be overcome by a guy like Houghton or BT having one on one sessions with the top guys and giving them all the tools they can take onboard, then these guys need to experience sustained good/hostile bowling. The cream will eventually rise to the top- the guys with the mental fortitude to deal at this level.
Throwing guys in the deep end when they have had inadequate prep doesn't work. Might happen 1 in a 1000 players.
Having boot camps is better than nothing for sure, but we need real professional expertise.
Until we see top coaches coaching our best guys at least 4 days a week in the off season or as often as possible between games, ironing out problems we're not going to make progress.